Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mystery of This Petroglyph-Covered Alaskan Beach

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Water laps gently against the rocky shores of Petroglyph Beach State Historic Site in Wrangell, an island town that’s part of Alaska’s Inside Passage, an archipelago that drips like a chain of pearls along the state’s southeast coast.

It’s a sunny summer morning in late August, and the tide has already gone out for the day, exposing a rocky wonderland ripe for exploration. Unlike at most beaches, where people go to comb for seashells or sea glass, here I’m on the hunt for the dozens of petroglyphs that pepper the coastline’s boulders and bedrock. 

While there are numerous hypotheses about the origins of the more than 40 rock carvings etched here—one of the highest known concentrations of petroglyphs in Alaska and around the world—the one most often agreed upon by archaeologists is that they were etched roughly 8,000 years ago by the Tlingit an Alaska Native group that continues to inhabit the state’s southeastern archipelago. But when it comes to the petroglyphs’ intended purpose, that’s where things remain a mystery.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/the-mystery-of-this-petroglyph-covered-alaskan-beach-180981858/

• Like 7

On 3/25/2023 at 1:51 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Rob

Thanks, interesting how that spiral design shows up in so many locations globally.

From Sillustani, Peru:

9076430620_03d66e71ef_z.jpg

According to a guide in 1991, it maybe depicted an impact of a comet.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

From Sillustani, Peru:

Hi Rob

seem to me there are some in Britany and other locations in Europe and the Middle East as well. Will get back home from Kelowna tomorrow and will look on my computer 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.jpeg.89eb8c6acc376c942563b43584c6464c.jpeg………………………………………………this one is in Saguaro National Park , Arizona.   Est. 10,000 yrs. Old.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, lightly said:

image.thumb.jpeg.89eb8c6acc376c942563b43584c6464c.jpeg………………………………………………this one is in Saguaro National Park , Arizona.   Est. 10,000 yrs. Old.

I don't know Lightly, but I have this feeling Jay tried to remind me of what I once said in the Doggerland thread about these ancient spirals... and labyrinths: a depiction of an impacting spiralling comet, one similar to Hale-Bopp (which wàs a spiralling comet, but a recent one).

But of course I could be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Rob

Yes it did remind me of that but am sure it was discussed in a couple of other threads as well.

• Like 1

@Abramelin

I was trying to find a link about the spiral petroglyphs globally that wasn't quack sites even if they had the pics with locations. Kong story short I came across this atricle and thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.openculture.com/2019/03/40000-year-old-symbols-found-in-caves-worldwide-may-represent-the-earliest-written-language.html

We may take it for granted that the earliest writing systems developed with the Sumerians around 3400 B.C.E. The archaeological evidence so far supports the theory. But it may also be possible that the earliest writing systems predate 5000-year-old cuneiform tablets by several thousand years. And what’s more, it may be possible, suggests paleoanthropologist Genevieve von Petzinger, that those prehistoric forms of writing, which include the earliest known hashtag marks, consisted of symbols nearly as universal as emoji.

The study of symbols carved into cave walls all over the world—including penniforms (feather shapes), claviforms (key shapes), and hand stencils—could eventually push us to “abandon the powerful narrative,” writes Frank Jacobs at Big Think, “of history as total darkness until the Sumerians flip the switch.” Though the symbols may never be truly decipherable, their purposes obscured by thousands of years of separation in time, they clearly show humans “undimming the light many millennia earlier.”

While burrowing deep underground to make cave paintings of animals, early humans as far back as 40,000 years ago also developed a system of signs that is remarkably consistent across and between continents. Von Petzinger spent years cataloguing these symbols in Europe, visiting “52 caves,” reports New Scientist’s Alison George, “in France, Span, Italy and Portugal. The symbols she found ranged from dots, lines, triangles, squares and zigzags to more complex forms like ladder shapes, hand stencils, something called a tectiform that looks a bit like a post with a roof, and feather shapes called penniforms.”

cavedoodles.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:56 AM, Abramelin said:

From Sillustani, Peru:

I also interpreted it as Draco rotating around Thuban when it was the pole star.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I also interpreted it as Draco rotating around Thuban when it was the pole star.

But that would be much too ancient: Thuban was de pole star around 3000 bce:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_star

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

But that would be much too ancient: Thuban was de pole star around 3000 bce:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_star

Your right.

But the spiral is pretty universal and had to come from somewhere. Maybe it was a unknown comet that left a circular tail in the sky. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Your right.

But the spiral is pretty universal and had to come from somewhere. Maybe it was a unknown comet that left a circular tail in the sky. 

Well,

On 3/26/2023 at 7:43 PM, Abramelin said:

I don't know Lightly, but I have this feeling Jay tried to remind me of what I once said in the Doggerland thread about these ancient spirals... and labyrinths: a depiction of an impacting spiralling comet, one similar to Hale-Bopp (which wàs a spiralling comet, but a recent one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

Well,

I don't think it impacted but outgassing from the side would make it tumble. Seeing one appear like that would certainly give the theory credence and be a awesome sight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I don't think it impacted but outgassing from the side would make it tumble. Seeing one appear like that would certainly give the theory credence and be a awesome sight.

It took me a while, but here's a webpage about comet Hale-Bopp:

https://interestingengineering.com/science/hale-bopp-famous-90s-comet

The nucleus:

9ZX1SbnCHcI5mYaJ0EA7SBMGjoMRc2SjbPoa7yWv.thumb.jpg.133c1578985786350b0669a1d43185da.jpg

And now imagine this thing coming close enough to the earth for every human being to see with their bare eyes, filling a large part of the (night-)sky...

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

The nucleus:

9ZX1SbnCHcI5mYaJ0EA7SBMGjoMRc2SjbPoa7yWv.thumb.jpg.133c1578985786350b0669a1d43185da.jpg

And now imagine this thing coming close enough to the earth for every human being to see with their bare eyes, filling a large part of the (night-)sky...

Amazing sight from that angle.

I watched Hale-Bopp from our pasture every night it was out. Awesome experience. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I saw one in your list that isn't a spiral, but a labyrinth instead:

Petroglyphs-Spain.jpeg&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj

It's even more amazing that a rather complicated symbol like a labyrinth shows up all over the world.

I once had an image of the Hale-Bopp comet that looked very similar.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Abramelin said:

The nucleus:

Post #773 in the Doggerland thread, a summary:

Quote:

In this thread I have talked quite a lot about a 'spiralling comet' causing the Storegga Slide and subsequent tsunami that flooded Doggerland, a spiralling comet that may have been depicted on stone as socalled 'cup and circle' petroglyphs or even labyrinths.

(...)

-36- More recent and circular labyrinths are - according to me - depictions of this same event. The 'entrance' of the labyrinth being equal to the tail of the spiralling comet (like the 'Hale-Bopp' comet) that destroyed land 6100 BC.

Labyrinths all over the earth have to do with 'death at the center', Death, another life, the afterlife, whatever comes after the maggots start eating our flesh. The center of the spiralling comet was of course the comet itself, the rock that eventually impacted into the North Sea, and caused the death of many thousands of people.

These labyrinths are rather similar all over the earth, but in the Americas that socalled 'entrance' is always at the top of the labyrinth, while in Europe and India that entrance is at the bottom. I think that is caused by where the people watching that heavenly event were located on earth.

-37- I think I found a repesentation ( petroglyphs in Wales) of a spiralling comet impacting into the North Sea.... wishfull thinking, no doubt.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/179840-doggerland/page/31/#comment-4356314

-----

About -37- : post #910 in the same thread:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/179840-doggerland/page/37/#comment-7116128

barc-04BarclodiadGawres.jpg

Edited by Abramelin
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, Still Waters said:

Water laps gently against the rocky shores of Petroglyph Beach State Historic Site in Wrangell, an island town that’s part of Alaska’s Inside Passage, an archipelago that drips like a chain of pearls along the state’s southeast coast.

It’s a sunny summer morning in late August, and the tide has already gone out for the day, exposing a rocky wonderland ripe for exploration. Unlike at most beaches, where people go to comb for seashells or sea glass, here I’m on the hunt for the dozens of petroglyphs that pepper the coastline’s boulders and bedrock. 

While there are numerous hypotheses about the origins of the more than 40 rock carvings etched here—one of the highest known concentrations of petroglyphs in Alaska and around the world—the one most often agreed upon by archaeologists is that they were etched roughly 8,000 years ago by the Tlingit an Alaska Native group that continues to inhabit the state’s southeastern archipelago. But when it comes to the petroglyphs’ intended purpose, that’s where things remain a mystery.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/the-mystery-of-this-petroglyph-covered-alaskan-beach-180981858/

url(38).jpg.f1bcb833b0a68183f2485418c0123c18.jpg

What I had hoped for is this:

20230403_191027.thumb.jpg.6009071b30528bc11e9e44c612f86188.jpg