Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas university cancels ‘demoralizing’ student drag show, claims it degrades women

OverSword

The president of West Texas A&M University has canceled a student drag show after accusing the performances of mocking women and exhibiting “derisive, divisive and demoralizing misogyny.”

Walter Wendler said drag shows “stereotype women in cartoon-like extremes for the amusement of others and discriminate against womanhood,” in an email to students and staff on Tuesday.

“Does a drag show preserve a single thread of human dignity? I think not,” he wrote.

He went on to claim that drag shows go against the university’s mission to “treat all people equally.”

“Drag shows are derisive, divisive and demoralizing misogyny, no matter the stated intent. Such conduct runs counter to the purpose of WT,” he wrote. “A person or group should not attempt to elevate itself or a cause by mocking another person or group.” 

Link

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

They are right, aren't they? Drag shows are dreadful. I'd rather bathe my eyes in bleach than go and see one. The only exception I'd make is for someone like Barry Humphries, who isn't really in drag, he is just a parody, like his other character, the cultural attache.

• Like 1

I don't really agree with this action but in this age of overly sensitive culture he does have a contextually valid point. People just don't have a sense of humor anymore.  I think that traditional drag in which what you have is a man dressed up imitating a real life diva such as Cher or Dianna Ross it's a tribute and complimentary and just good fun.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't really agree with this action but in this age of overly sensitive culture he does have a contextually valid point. People just don't have a sense of humor anymore.  I think that traditional drag in which what you have is a man dressed up imitating a real life diva such as Cher or Dianna Ross it's a tribute and complimentary and just good fun.

Except that isn't really what most of these shows are, anymore.  To each, his own.  My only disagreement is with young children being taken to these shows.  All too often they've become over sexualized performances.  There isn't any moderation these days.  It seems most of these productions are intended (on some level) to offend one group or another.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, and-then said:

Except that isn't really what most of these shows are, anymore.  To each, his own.  My only disagreement is with young children being taken to these shows.  All too often they've become over sexualized performances.  There isn't any moderation these days.  It seems most of these productions are intended (on some level) to offend one group or another.

Like I said people don't have a sense of humor anymore, therefore cancelling this show is legit and all things being as they are culturally I'm surprised the students don't agree.

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I had a friend in high school who used to do drag shows with some of his friends and I thought it was great fun.   Never once did I feel like women were being mocked.   

• Like 7

Banning voluntary events for adults now because of transphobia 

Nice.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, tcgram said:

I had a friend in high school who used to do drag shows with some of his friends and I thought it was great fun.   Never once did I feel like women were being mocked.   

I don't doubt that.    Unfortunately most groups have agenda's now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Banning voluntary events for adults now because of transphobia 

Nice.

They're adults. I'm sure this would just be the worst damn thing to ever happen at a university. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Banning voluntary events for adults now because of transophiba 

Nice.

Is it transphobia or is he doing what has sadly become his duty and trying to ensure that nobody does something that can be construed to be offensive?  Sad state we are in now thanks to the cult of over sensitivity. 

The other day I was playing the Jimi Hendrix version of Hey Joe and sang along "I'm going down to shoot my old lady, you know I caught her messin' round with another man" and a woman in the office said that it was not appropriate because it promotes violence against women.  She was not joking. :no:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Funny, I had a step brother that went to A&M in 1975  about a decade after they decided it was OK for Blacks and women to attend.  Everybody had to be in the corp. and Aggie dress up boots were much admired.  I guess times do change don't they.   Even in Texas 50 years is enough time to change a mind or two.  My uncle was there the generation before, an Aggie petroleum engineer when misogyny and racism were official policy.

Not to put too fine a point on it but Texas A&M was created as a land grant college supported by public lands, it took 100 years or so for Black Texas taxpayers to be allowed to go as well.

Course my school was no different.  It was private and they had to overturn the founder's will to open it up.    That happened about 6 years before my freshman year.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't doubt that.    Unfortunately most groups have agenda's now.

Yeah, this one's agenda was to raise money to fight suicide though.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Is it transphobia or is he doing what has sadly become his duty and trying to ensure that nobody does something that can be construed to be offensive?  Sad state we are in now thanks to the cult of over sensitivity. 

Could be. Drag shows are not exactly my thing, but I have never noticed women protesting or being insulted by drag shows.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah, this one's agenda was to raise money to fight suicide though.

I read that.   How sad.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Could be. Drag shows are not exactly my thing, but I have never noticed women protesting or being insulted by drag shows.  

Down the street from my home there is a bar called Gloria's that has drag shows and from what I can tell half the crowd are female.  A lady I know had her bachelorette party there.

• Like 4

The only drag shows I like are the kind where cars have really big loud engines and can do wheelies.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The other day I was playing the Jimi Hendrix version of Hey Joe and sang along "I'm going down to shoot my old lady, you know I caught her messin' round with another man" and a woman in the office said that it was not appropriate because it promotes violence against women.  She was not joking. :no:

Oh this dude is a straight up transphobe lol.

Does a drag show preserve a single thread of human dignity? I think not,” he wrote.

Like I see what you're saying. When I went to OSU Ben Shapiro scheduled a visit. Many students put posters up calling him a Nazi and trying to ban him from being able to speak. To the universities credit they still let him speak. I think colleges should be open to voluntary events that have radical speakers all the time.

But I have no doubt the dude in OP is actually a transphobe 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Guyver said:

The only drag shows I like are the kind where cars have really big loud engines and can do wheelies.  

Love those as well!!   Especially Funny Cars!!   

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The only huge drag queen show fans I know of are women. I'd say at least half a dozen I know would have seen several shows on the last twelve months. Drag queen painting (not painting a drag queen but a drag queen running the painting class) and drag queen bingo are very popular events. If they felt degraded I doubt they would keep going to them. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Years ago when I lived in Vegas, there was a really popular drag show like this. The man who played Joan Rivers met her and they became really good friends. She loved the way he portrayed her. And this man was neither trans or gay. He had a beautiful girlfriend. He made a lot of money having a good time. 

Drag shows don't insult women. However the way women are being portrayed in one can. I'd have to see it to judge but this doesn't sound like this particular show would be anything like that.

• Like 7

The kids are way ahead of the curve... 

Finn-dressed-as-Rose.jpg

2 Jun 2021  Finn, better known online as F1NN5TER is a British video gamer, online streamer, YouTuber, and content creator. He is also widely...
~

~

• Like 2

Some guys can pull off being a hot girl.  Good for them.  I couldn’t do it.  I look like the Marlboro Man. Kind of.  I do really like this song though.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, and-then said:

Except that's not what happens and not happening and never really did. Drag shows at bars already didnt admit minors, they'd lose their liquor licenses. And drag queens reading to kids at libraries are not sexualized at all, its kids sitting around watching a sparkling costumed person sit and read. Where are the outrage and grooming fears when these same anti drag folks paraded their toddlers caked in make up and taught them to gyrate in bikinis in the pageant circuit? Toddlers and Tiaras, hell back to all those pics of Jon Benet Ramsey plastered all over wearing bright red lipstick and teased hair as a small girl before murder. Where is the outrage for the 1# killer of kids which is gun deaths? 

This is complete and total horse pucky whipped up by the right to again go after the people they hate and embolden their followers to gay bash and threaten, which is already happening. Death threat calls to drag artists are happening more with each stupid unneeded bill they present to puff themselves up. The fake morality is even worse considering the right flies their religious flag at every turn and they do nothing to bring down actual pedophiles in their churches. 

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, pellinore said:

They are right, aren't they? Drag shows are dreadful. I'd rather bathe my eyes in bleach than go and see one. The only exception I'd make is for someone like Barry Humphries, who isn't really in drag, he is just a parody, like his other character, the cultural attache.

Sir Les Patterson

11 hours ago, Guyver said:

65898-e8782684-b654-4e98-954f-652cca6178fb.jpeg.20c75f1df563d63d4e61f585116410eb.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1