Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolf-whistling to be made illegal in UK

Eldorado

Men who wolf-whistle or make sexual remarks to women will face prosecution for street harassment even if they believe it is a compliment or a joke, under legal changes announced by Suella Braverman.

The Home Secretary is to toughen a proposed new street harassment law so that potential offenders cannot escape prosecution by claiming they did not realise their behaviour amounted to harassment.

The new Bill, due for its final report stage in the House of Commons on Friday, will make it an offence to cause “intentional harassment, alarm or distress” to a person in public based on their sex. Offenders will face a maximum of two years in jail.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/wolf-whistling-to-be-made-illegal-and-claiming-it-s-a-joke-won-t-be-any-excuse/ar-AA1906mo?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The Home Secretary is to toughen a proposed new street harassment law so that potential offenders cannot escape prosecution by claiming they did not realise their behaviour amounted to harassment.

The new Bill, due for its final report stage in the House of Commons on Friday, will make it an offence to cause “intentional harassment, alarm or distress” to a person in public based on their sex. Offenders will face a maximum of two years in jail.

That sounds typical of our government.  Complete contradiction.   Mind, I doubt the HS has the faintest idea what the legislation says or is even for.   Unless her mummy is there to tell her.

• Like 2

Can we have an equal law that also protects men, in these cases? What’s stopping a woman from making sexually aggressive remarks towards men?

• Like 5

From the article:

This means anyone who catcalls, wolf-whistles or makes a pass or sexual comment towards a woman that a “reasonable” person would feel amounts to harassment will no longer be able to claim it was meant as a compliment or joke. Police will be issued with guidance so they can enforce the law.

Who gets to decide what is reasonable?   

• Like 4

On 3/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, Eldorado said:

Men who wolf-whistle or make sexual remarks to women will face prosecution for street harassment even if they believe it is a compliment or a joke, under legal changes announced by Suella Braverman.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/wolf-whistling-to-be-made-illegal-and-claiming-it-s-a-joke-won-t-be-any-excuse/ar-AA1906mo?

Gone are the days when their mothers would teach the an appropriate put down.

Such as a buy a magazine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

The "man on the Clapham omnibus". It is an old established principle of English law to establish what is reasonable. As the offence is punishable by imprisonment, a jury would get direction from a judge.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Can we have an equal law that also protects men, in these cases? What’s stopping a woman from making sexually aggressive remarks towards men?

I'm sure it will provide protection for men too, but I think it is much rarer that this occurs. The same as there are much fewer cases of female police officers raping and murdering members of the public. Saying "what about women who do it?" distracts from the reality.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I can see your point, but the law is to protect women from harassment. Should schoolgirls need to be taught "put downs" to respond to men commenting directly or indirectly on their appearance?

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

I'm sure it will provide protection for men too, but I think it is much rarer that this occurs. The same as there are much fewer cases of female police officers raping and murdering members of the public. Saying "what about women who do it?" distracts from the reality.

How many male police officers raping and murdering members of the public?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

How many of them were policewomen? I'd suspect not many men would complain about policewomen sexual misconduct... 

I get your point about fairness and equality. But I think most people would agree it is women more often than men who are subject to harassment. And I think it is related to the wider issue of women feeling unsafe going jogging after dark, and the case of Sarah Everard, etc, as sexual 'banter' is apparently rife among some police officers as well as some members of the public- I don't know, but I'll guess the majority are male. Wouldn't you?

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

It still happens - not sure why the frequency matters. Men are raped less frequently than women, but it happens - the laws of rape still apply. IMO we shouldn't have gender-specific laws - that's my point.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pellinore said:

I get your point about fairness and equality. But I think most people would agree it is women more often than men who are subject to harassment. And I think it is related to the wider issue of women feeling unsafe going jogging after dark, and the case of Sarah Everard, etc, as sexual 'banter' is apparently rife among some police officers as well as some members of the public- I don't know, but I'll guess the majority are male. Wouldn't you?

Good points.

10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

…or get a subscription to ********

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

It still happens - not sure why the frequency matters. Men are raped less frequently than women, but it happens - the laws of rape still apply. IMO we shouldn't have gender-specific laws - that's my point.

Why not? Why can't we have things like female-only changing rooms, female-only toilets? A few decades ago railway stations had female-only waiting rooms. What is wrong with gender specific laws? Is it because it might offend men who identify as females?

7 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Why not? Why can't we have things like female-only changing rooms, female-only toilets? A few decades ago railway stations had female-only waiting rooms. What is wrong with gender specific laws? Is it because it might offend men who identify as females?

No—my point is that we can’t have laws that apply to one gender, but not the other. It needs to equally apply to both. I’m for equality, not double standards. 

19 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

What’s stopping a woman from making sexually aggressive remarks towards men?

Yeah I hate it when beautiful women tell me sternly they want to throw me around a bedroom. It happens so often I have PTSD from it. :lol:

• Haha 2

Looks like construction worker's vocabulary is going to get cut in half.:(

None of our male friends have ever objected when I pat them on the butt, but I've never spoken to them in a lewd way. :lol:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

yep.. Also- who gets to decide if the incident really happened!?

A gang of builders working & one of them wolf whistles a female passing by. She complains & the gang says: 'no he didn't, she's lying'
then what?

What if a lesbian wolf whistles a female?

Maximum of 2 years in prison!?! The world's going fekin mad. Well the UK is in this case.... This is what happens when idiots are in charge= well it's nothing new :blink:

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

None of our male friends have ever objected when I pat them on the butt, but I've never spoken to them in a lewd way. :lol:

I have been sexually harassed at work before.

Looking back over things I must admit if they are attractive women and have fun personalities then I let them get away with it. Okay, okay, I enjoy it. But when its a female colleague I cannot stand I tell them I`m not interested or refuse to engage with them. If they dont get the message I openly mock them until they go away.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 4:46 PM, pellinore said:

'sexual misconduct'  These days that could include paying a compliment, holding a door open or simply smiling.

"Sexual harassment includes sitting in rooms with more male officers than women, says police chief"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/08/sexual-harassment-includes-sitting-rooms-male-officers-women/

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

'sexual misconduct'  These days that could include paying a compliment, holding a door open or simply smiling.

"Sexual harassment includes sitting in rooms with more male officers than women, says police chief"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/08/sexual-harassment-includes-sitting-rooms-male-officers-women/

Well, I agree if that's true, it is ridiculous. Do you have a link without the paywall?, it sounds interesting!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Well, I agree if that's true, it is ridiculous. Do you have a link without the paywall?, it sounds interesting!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/sexual-harassment-includes-sitting-in-rooms-with-more-male-officers-than-women-says-police-chief/ar-AA11C6Yv?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=b5de1b6c8c624deaa9c32d4d1760f3a2