Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolf-whistling to be made illegal in UK

Eldorado

14 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Thanks. She is mad:

Asked if she had been subjected to sexist behaviour while serving in the police, she replied: “I think any woman in any profession will say that they've experienced sexual harassment absolutely everywhere.

"But I've been massively supported in my role. I wouldn't be doing the job I'm in if I didn't believe in policing."

Asked to describe what incidents she had witnessed, she said: "This is not about me, but I think sexual harassment is about sitting in rooms where you have more male officers than women. Where you're in a male-dominated environment for any woman - that's always challenging."

I accept that most professions are male dominated, and that some females may feel inhibited by that, but to say that that amounts to sexual harassment is crazy. I have worked in a male-dominated profession and that didn't stop most of the females being bossy and pushy, and some were bullies. The other thing she is doing, of course, is devaluing genuine harassment.

Of the 2000 quoted in my post:Among the complaints were more than 370 allegations of sexual assault, almost 100 accusations of rape, and 18 alleged child sex offences. Overall, there were 514 proven allegations across 33 police forces.

Sexual assault and rape are not on a par with simply sitting in a meeting.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

"The other thing she is doing, of course, is devaluing genuine harassment" 

Indeed & partly the reason I'm cynical when I read stories with overblown statistics used to force change. For the last 15 or 20 years we've had a push to broaden racial & sexual 'representation' in the police force, so where has that got us exactly? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60215575

Edited by itsnotoutthere

On 3/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, TashaMarie said:

From the article:

This means anyone who catcalls, wolf-whistles or makes a pass or sexual comment towards a woman that a “reasonable” person would feel amounts to harassment will no longer be able to claim it was meant as a compliment or joke. Police will be issued with guidance so they can enforce the law.

Who gets to decide what is reasonable?   

The man on the Clapham omnibus. 

On 3/25/2023 at 2:18 AM, Nuclear Wessel said:

Can we have an equal law that also protects men, in these cases? What’s stopping a woman from making sexually aggressive remarks towards men?

I agree.   The law should have been written not specifying a gender.  

So would this outlaw whistling altogether?   I will often whistle to get someone's attention.  What if a woman in the area accused me of whistling at her?

On 3/26/2023 at 2:29 AM, Michelle said:

None of our male friends have ever objected when I pat them on the butt, but I've never spoken to them in a lewd way. :lol:

Friends, Michelle. I agree a wolf-whistling law is ridiculous, and no one is suggesting people can't pay compliments, or hug a colleague at work if you have a close relationship. I think it is an attempt to make people feel safe from unwelcome comments (like a shouted "Nice rack, missus!" at a stranger in the street).

• Like 1

My old grandma said the only time wolf whistling worried her was when the guys stopped whistling at her. People need harden the f up and act like the real people that used to inhabit this earth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, pellinore said:

I think it is an attempt to make people feel safe from unwelcome comments (like a shouted "Nice rack, missus!" at a stranger in the street).

They are harmless. I've come up with so many zingers over the years they usually ended up embarrassed and kidded by their friends. Wolf whistles are generally considered way outdated. Literally no one does that anymore.

• Like 2

I've noticed the more restrictions we put on society in fear of offending, the more violent humans are becoming. Bottling up emotions can do that.

7 minutes ago, openozy said:

I've noticed the more restrictions we put on society in fear of offending, the more violent humans are becoming. Bottling up emotions can do that.

Could be.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:46 AM, pellinore said:

Maybe I'm silly to ask, but does it matter that you cited an article about ACCUSATIONS?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Maybe I'm silly to ask, but does it matter that you cited an article about ACCUSATIONS?

No, it is a very intelligent observation of yours! It is the only way they can get a handle on the numbers. If they looked at the number of convictions, it would possibly be 0%.

In a recent  survey of accusations amongst the general public, convictions were less than 2%, which everyone (MPs, Women's Rights groups, etc) condemned as being inadequate. They are not followed up. There have been cases where women have begged the police to intervene when they were threatened with violence, and the women have ended up dead.At least 125 women killed in UK since Sarah Everard was kidnapped and murdered | The Independent

Edited by pellinore