Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive asteroid to pass by Earth on weekend

Waspie_Dwarf

Massive asteroid to pass by Earth on weekend

An asteroid large enough to destroy a city will pass between the orbits of the Earth and the Moon this weekend - luckily for us, missing both.

The object, named 2023 DZ2, was discovered a month ago.

On Saturday, it will pass within 515,000km of the moon, before flying by Earth hours later.

Read More: BBC News

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before one of these repeats the Chelyabinsk experience, only MUCH worse :(  Imagine one the size of this one striking just offshore of a major city, or worse, on one of those cities.  If the population was in the millions and the object came out of the sun, there might be no real chance to evacuate.  

27 minutes ago, and-then said:

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before one of these repeats the Chelyabinsk experience, only MUCH worse :(

It's inevitable, however most asteroids in this class have been located and their orbits determined. There are none on collision course with the Earth in the next century. We have time (if those that control the funding of the world's space agencies allow it) to set a serious planetary defence system and protect the planet. The dinosaurs went extinct because they didn't have a space programme.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

We also have Bruce Willis.

B)

Not with his current health issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hope somebody video'd the asteroid. That would be tres cool.,