Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists on ‘first-of-its-kind’ mission to map sunken ancient landscapes

Grim Reaper 6

Two British archaeologists are set to embark on a “first-of-its-kind” mission to map ancient landscapes lost to the oceans thousands of years ago. Dr Simon Fitch, from the University of Bradford, and Professor Richard Bates, from the University of St Andrews, will travel to Split in Croatia to begin a five-day long survey of the Adriatic seabed as part of the Life on the Edge project, which has received £1 million in funding from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). These maps can then be analysed for clues into the lives of humans who lived there between 10,000 and 24,000 years ago, during the late Paleolithic period.

Dr Fitch, a geoarchaeologist and a UKRI Future Leadership Fellow, said: “This is the first time anyone is going more than 500 metres from the coastline in the Adriatic to map the seabed. We know humans once lived on the land down there because trawlers regularly dredge up artefacts. Dr Fitch said the sea levels were up to 100 metres lower during the late Paleolithic compared with the present day.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/archaeologists-on-first-of-its-kind-mission-to-map-sunken-ancient-landscapes/ar-AA193i3F?ocid=Peregrine&cvid=6bc6ac1630e845709a033dc2e2160589&ei=15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Well thanks, that looks like a great thread I wish I would have followed it.

8 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Well thanks, that looks like a great thread I wish I would have followed it.

Never too late to start!

:)

• Like 2

Just now, Abramelin said:

Never too late to start!

:)

Thanks, I appreciate the invitation, but I don’t know enough about the topic to participate in a worthwhile manner. But I am going to read through it to start with, and we will see where it goes from there!:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1