Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US teens say they have new proof for 2,000-year-old mathematical theorem

Still Waters

Two New Orleans high school seniors who say they have proven Pythagoras’s theorem by using trigonometry – which academics for two millennia have thought to be impossible – are being encouraged by a prominent US mathematical research organization to submit their work to a peer-reviewed journal.

Calcea Johnson and Ne’Kiya Jackson, who are students of St Mary’s Academy, recently gave a presentation of their findings at the American Mathematical Society south-eastern chapter’s semi-annual meeting in Georgia.

They were reportedly the only two high schoolers to give presentations at the meeting attended by math researchers from institutions including the universities of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana State, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. And they spoke about how they had discovered a new proof for the Pythagorean theorem.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/24/new-orleans-pythagoras-theorem-trigonometry-prove

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pythagoras also said you shouldn't eat beans because you will fart out your essence. @acute proved that theory with English breakfast. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Piney said:

@acute proved that theory with English breakfast. 

Beans have no place on an English Breakfast, in my humble onion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, Still Waters said:

Two New Orleans high school seniors who say they have proven Pythagoras’s theorem by using trigonometry – which academics for two millennia have thought to be impossible – are being encouraged by a prominent US mathematical research organization to submit their work to a peer-reviewed journal.

Calcea Johnson and Ne’Kiya Jackson, who are students of St Mary’s Academy, recently gave a presentation of their findings at the American Mathematical Society south-eastern chapter’s semi-annual meeting in Georgia.

They were reportedly the only two high schoolers to give presentations at the meeting attended by math researchers from institutions including the universities of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana State, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. And they spoke about how they had discovered a new proof for the Pythagorean theorem.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/24/new-orleans-pythagoras-theorem-trigonometry-prove                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    And to be honest, it's great that some students are so interested in education, especially when it's math. For me, math has always been one of the hardest disciplines, and also writing. I do my best, but I still face so many problems when writing a paper on any issue. It's amazing that we have so many educational sites and resources which can help. For example, I always use https://edubirdie.com/college-papers-for-sale when I have writing troubles, and it has never let me down. When it comes to math, I also have a lot of sites where I can find tips or other info. I'm not as good a student as those from the article, but I do my best and do it for myself.

That's actually cool. It's great to have such students, who are sincerely interested in education and do their best, and discover something new. And I think that for them it will also be a boost of motivation to study harder.