Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Putin says Russia will station tactical nukes in Belarus

Grim Reaper 6

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced plans Saturday to station tactical nuclear weapons in neighboring Belarus. Putin said the plan was in response to Britain’s decision this past week to provide Ukraine with armor-piercing rounds containing depleted uranium. Russia falsely claimed these rounds have nuclear components. 

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has long asked for the weapons, Putin said, speaking in an interview on Russian state television. He said construction of storage facilities for the weapons in Belarus would be completed by July 1. Russia used the territory of Belarus as a staging ground to send troops into Ukraine, and Moscow and Minsk have maintained close military ties.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-says-russia-will-station-tactical-nukes-in-belarus/ar-AA194sYX?cvid=4598712ff6714bf49443cccfd7dd294a&ei=26

• Like 4

That's nice.  At least his move to "answer the DU ammo" is something minor.  It's not like the reaction the US would garner for stationing nuclear cruise missiles in Taiwan ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, and-then said:

At least his move to "answer the DU ammo" is something minor. 

This has been in talks for a while, as far as I know. I know you’re against supplying Ukraine and all for appeasing somebody you’re afraid of because you don’t want to be uncomfortable at home. 

• Like 2

Belarus hosting Russian tactical nuclear weapons isnt new.

The president of Belarus has been wanting to host Russian tactical nuclear weapons before the Russian invasion of Ukraine even started.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/12/01/russia-calls-alexander-lukashenkos-threat-host-nuclear-weapons/

There is a possibility to allow Russia to use Belarus to invade Ukraine that the Belarusian president required Russian tactical nuclear weapons to be based in Belarus. 

It seems the last popular uprising in about 2020 got the Belarusian president a bit shaken up, especially since if I'm remembering correctly the opposition leader was able to escape to a NATO/staying in a NATO country before being arrested, cant remember if they were in Belarus after the election and the popular uprising started or not.  The Belarusian president is probably a bit paranoid that the west intends to overthrow his regime and views basing Russian tactical nuclear weapons as a way to secure his regime.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

This has been in talks for a while, as far as I know. I know you’re against supplying Ukraine and all for appeasing somebody you’re afraid of because you don’t want to be uncomfortable at home. 

What's the matter, old bean?  Is someone causing you stress by disagreeing that Ukraine's fate is more important than anything else in the world?  Grow up, or at least stop acting like I shot your dog...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

What's the matter, old bean?  Is someone causing you stress by disagreeing that Ukraine's fate is more important than anything else in the world?  Grow up, or at least stop acting like I shot your dog...

You've a penchant for hyperbole - nobody said Ukraine's fate is more important than anything else in the world. I am just calling it as see it. Honestly, though, it seems to me that you're just confined to your myopic view of the geopolitical landscape. It's not about Ukraine's fate, specifically - it is what it means to the onlookers, and how that is going to shape international relations, going forward. Ukraine's fate is going to have a permanent impact, whether you agree with that or not.

At least have the gall to say whats on your mind instead of hiding by this "heart on mine sleeve" persona and pretending that you care about civilians dying in Ukraine when in actuality you only give two sh!ts about your own hide and comforts.

At least I have the balls to say what's really on my mind. It's gotten me in trouble on more than one occasion here on UM, but I always strive to be as candid and transparent as possible.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, and-then said:

That's nice.  At least his move to "answer the DU ammo" is something minor.  It's not like the reaction the US would garner for stationing nuclear cruise missiles in Taiwan ;) 

You are aware that the United States has Tactical Nuclear Weapons stored strategically in NATO countries in Europe right. It's, called the Nuclear Sharing Program, while these weapons are under US Control they are stored on US Air Force bases.

""The US, Britain, and France are the only three NATO countries with nuclear weapons, although the US has nukes deployed in other countries under the alliance’s nuclear-sharing program, including Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Turkey.""

Putin Says Russia Cannot Ignore NATO's Nuclear Capabilities - News From Antiwar.com

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

Russia is moving nuke in Belarus and there is a possibility they will also deploy nuke near the border with Finland.

People still think that expanding NATO further east is a 'good thing'.

Hi Occult

Citizens of Belarus do not share their presidents ambitions or alliance with Russia so bringing nukes into their country or being forced to directly engage Ukrainian forces in combat may be cause for revolt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Occult1 said:

Russia is moving nuke in Belarus and there is a possibility they will also deploy nuke near the border with Finland.

Not counting Turkey the United States has 100+ Tactical Nuclear Weapons currently in Europe. But, then the French and England also have an unspecified number of Tactical Nuclear Weapons, plus IBCMS. SO, honestly let Russia put Tactical Nuclear Weapons anywhere they choose.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Occult1 said:

NATO has adopted an open-door policy. Eastern European countries feel threatened by the changing security environment and are joining NATO, as a result. This has been explained to you but you have the IQ of a sock.

The fact that you’re taking the ramblings of Medvedev seriously is a testament to that. :lol: You might as well take his threats to send a nuclear tsunami towards Ireland seriously, too—but I’m sure you do, already. 

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

The fact that you’re taking the ramblings of Medvedev seriously is a testament to that. :lol: You might as well take his threats to send a nuclear tsunami towards Ireland seriously, too—but I’m sure you do, already. 

Putin also issued a warning:

• Confused 1

Kyiv calls for UN Security Council session over Putin's nuclear plans

KYIV (Reuters) - Ukraine on Sunday fiercely criticized plans by Russian President Vladimir Putin to station tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus and called for an emergency U.N. Security Council session to address the move.

Putin announced the decision on Saturday, saying it would not violate nuclear non-proliferation promises and Russia would not hand off control of the weapons to Belarus.

In a statement, Kyiv's foreign ministry described it as "another provocative step" by Moscow that undermines "the international security system as a whole".

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/kyiv-calls-un-security-council-135821706.html

13 hours ago, Occult1 said:

No worries.  Russia is a mature and peaceful country isn't it?  Well if not, then when Finland becomes a part of NATO, they may get their own store of tactical nukes.    

If both sides continue to be mature and hesitant for any escalation, then  this too shall pass.   Long term, it is time to build a world in which all nations are free from threats by powerful neighbors.  I am not blind, that includes the US and how we will choose to behave in the world too.   Seven billion of us cannot coexist using the same might makes right rule set that 100 million of us used to kick each other around 4000 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Russia’s game of nuclear chess is worrisome, American officials say

''Multiple American officials expressed concern over reports that Russian President Vladimir Putin plans to move tactical nuclear weapons into Belarus, though the U.S. has not yet seen any moves by Russia to do do, National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Sunday.

“We have not seen any indication that he’s made good on this pledge or moved any nuclear weapons around,” Kirby said during in interview on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “We’ve, in fact, seen no indication he has any intention to use nuclear weapons, period, inside Ukraine.”

Though the U.S. will continue to monitor the situation, “we’ve seen nothing that would cause us to change our deterrent posture,” Kirby said.''

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/26/congress-russia-nuclear-weapons-00088858

On 3/25/2023 at 9:33 PM, Nuclear Wessel said:

At least have the gall to say whats on your mind instead of hiding by this "heart on mine sleeve" persona and pretending that you care about civilians dying in Ukraine when in actuality you only give two sh!ts about your own hide and comforts.

It's nice to know your opinion of me but that isn't the topic of the thread, is it?  What I said was accurate.  You - and many others here - have developed a holier-than-thou attitude on this issue, very much like you did with covid.  I'm not the one trying to shut down your opinions.  You - and a few others - are very much trying to insult me and demean my character because I disagree with you on this topic.  That's all.  I've said nothing against the people of Ukraine and their suffering.  You guys seem to be almost child-like in your desire to insult and mock others that you see as less committed to this cause.

TBH, the more I read online about the history of this catastrophe, the more I begin to believe that it all could have been avoided,  ALL OF THE SUFFERING AND DYING.  Vladimir Vladimirovich is a petty thug who lucked his way into a dictator's seat.  He's a proven murderer, thief and general villain in the world.  Men like him have always existed.  They always WILL EXIST.  There isn't a thing I can ever do that will change that.  Believe it or not, you never will either.

The back and forth in this thread establishes that like everything else in our world, there is a choosing of "sides".  The main difference, IMO, is that we have a cheering section here for the media message about the nobility of Ukraine and the irredeemable evil of the Russian nation, and another for a rejection of that premise.  The government of Russia is massively corrupt.  So is DC.  The Russian government invades weaker nations ON THEIR BORDERS and basically demands tribute and obedience.  OUR government does that, but they do it FAR from our shores.  

Our own country is in increasing chaos and the spiral is downward.  The same media that is growing wealthy by selling the good vs evil myth in Europe today, is doing its best to cause Americans to fight each other.  I don't see how anyone could argue the truth of that.  Our southern border has essentially been erased since 2021. Over 4 million illegal migrants have walked in and been dispersed around the country.  Huge numbers of them have had no vetting whatsoever.  Not even health checks for disease let alone screening them to see if they pop up in a database of those we know would like to kill us.

You may be far more concerned with the drama in Ukraine and that is your right.  I'm watching my country being dismantled and our people being trained to hate each other so they cannot stand together against our common enemies.  They do exist, you know?  They haven't gone away.  They are watching us closely and biding their time.  So... when it comes to my "hide and comfort", I plead guilty.  The crimes of Russia - or Ukraine - are not my fault nor my responsibility.  You are welcome to attack me for that stance if it makes you feel righteous.  I really don't care any longer.  I have a feeling that by the time you folks wake up to the real threat, it will already be too late to do anything but obey your orders.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, and-then said:

You - and a few others - are very much trying to insult me and demean my character because I disagree with you on this topic. 

The problem is you constantly and repeatedly say things that are objectively not true then get mad when it gets pointed out what you said is not true and that your sources are at absolute best unreliable and at worst are just Russian propaganda and misinformation.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, and-then said:

It's nice to know your opinion of me but that isn't the topic of the thread, is it?  What I said was accurate.  You - and many others here - have developed a holier-than-thou attitude on this issue, very much like you did with covid. 

And not dissimilar to your behaviour in the COVID threads you invoke the "heart on mine sleeve" trope to peddle your disagreements with the situation. With the pandemic you would often ask about "how many more dead young people will it take" re the vaccines much like it's "how many more dead Ukrainians is it going to take" in this scenario.

I see you. You're an emotionally manipulative person who creates facades in an attempt to get people to agree with you. I'm sure @Katniss and @psyche101 would agree with me on this one - they were right there in those threads reading along as I was and saw right through your BS as I did.

EDIT: As an aside, I kid you all NOT, the exact same people who were pushing conspiracy theory BS about COVID are the exact same people who seem to be subscribing to pro-Russian propaganda. Essentially if it contradicts the main narrative, they latch on to it.

wish I was joking. LOL

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

EDIT: As an aside, I kid you all NOT, the exact same people who were pushing conspiracy theory BS about COVID are the exact same people who seem to be subscribing to pro-Russian propaganda. Essentially if it contradicts the main narrative, they latch on to it.

wish I was joking. LOL

It's been noticed. That's MAGA propaganda for you. There are a lot of people here butthurt over Trump losing in 2020. :lol: They didn't see it coming and didn't expect it. In a way, I suspect Trump and his minions blame Zelenksy for not helping him get political dirt on the Bidens to help Trump. So the virtue signalling is fake and they really want to see Putin wipe out Zelenksy and takeover Ukraine as vicious payback. I'm speculating of course, but I feel that is the real MAGA agenda and why they would want to let a tyrant get away with this. They bring up the money, but I think that is a cover excuse, just like dead Ukraines excuse, or the money is only partially true.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Are you talking about this website or in general or something else?  I can tell you for a fact, I was warning people of Russia Rising when everyone else was saying, Keep your eyes on China.  And I am also the one who was censored during the Pandemic for saying what a hoax it was.  Just saying...

22 minutes ago, joc said:

Are you talking about this website or in general or something else?  I can tell you for a fact, I was warning people of Russia Rising when everyone else was saying, Keep your eyes on China.  And I am also the one who was censored during the Pandemic for saying what a hoax it was.  Just saying...

You didn't come to mind when I wrote that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joc said:

How in the world were you ever censored? :lol: Joc, you  are always entitled to your BS opinion about the pandemic being a hoax, just not your own facts.

https://news.yahoo.com/belarus-face-more-sanctions-over-125215108.html

WARSAW (Reuters) - Belarus will certainly face further European sanctions due to a Russian plan to station tactical nuclear weapons in the country, Poland's prime minister said on Tuesday, as tensions between Warsaw and Minsk hit new highs.

President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday Russia would station the nuclear arms in Belarus, his latest gambit in a worsening stand-off with the West over the Russian invasion of Ukraine last year.

"This step taken by Russia... the announcement of the deployment of nuclear weapons in Belarus, will certainly lead to the announcement of additional sanctions, the level of sanctions will be much more severe for the Lukashenko regime," Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki told a news conference in Bucharest, referring to the Belarusian president.

Belarus to restore Soviet launch sites for Putin's nuclear missiles

Belarus will repair disused Soviet missile silos as part of the Vladimir Putin’s plan to deploy nuclear weapons in the country, its President has said.

Alexander Lukashenko made the pledge during a speech to Belarus’ parliament in which he also formally accepted the Kremlin’s demand to station nuclear missiles in the country.

“I am not trying to intimidate or blackmail anyone. I want to safeguard the Belarusian state and ensure peace for the Belarusian people," he said

[...]

"If the Russian leadership understands that the situation threatens to cause Russia's disintegration, it will use the most awful weapon. This cannot be allowed."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/belarus-to-restore-soviet-launch-sites-for-putin-s-nuclear-missiles/ar-AA19iGJO