Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stickier Than We Thought: Exciting Discovery Could Lead to New Alzheimer’s Therapies

Grim Reaper 6

Angel Martí and his team have found experimental evidence of an alternative binding site on amyloid-beta aggregates through a new approach using time-resolved spectroscopy and computational chemistry, opening the door to the development of new therapies for Alzheimer’s and other diseases associated with amyloid deposits. Amyloid plaque deposits in the brain are a main feature of Alzheimer’s. “Amyloid-beta is a peptide that aggregates in the brains of people that suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, forming these supramolecular nanoscale fibers, or fibrils,” said Martí, a professor of chemistry, bioengineering, and materials science and nanoengineering and faculty director of the Rice Emerging Scholars Program. “Once they grow sufficiently, these fibrils precipitate and form what we call amyloid plaques.

These findings are allowing us to create a map of binding sites in amyloid-beta and a record of the amino acid compositions required for the formation of binding pockets in amyloid-beta fibrils,” Martí said.

https://scitechdaily.com/stickier-than-we-thought-exciting-discovery-could-lead-to-new-alzheimers-therapies/

• Like 3

Maybe we ought to simply raise old peoples' temperature?

we observed a lower risk of dementia-associated hospital admissions in years when local temperatures in either summer (hazard ration [HR] = 0.98; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.96, 1.00) or winter (HR = 0.97; 95% CI: 0.94, 0.99) were higher than average, and a greater risk of dementia-associated admissions for older adults living in zip codes with higher temperature variations. ...

Our results suggest that cooler-than-average temperatures and higher temperature variability increase the risk of dementia-associated hospital admissions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8491247/

Edited by Ell
  • Like 1

Man I hope they find an effective treatment 

• Like 2

there is growing evidence to suggest microbial organisms are involved, in particular, herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), the so-called cold sore virus.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2022-08-02-viral-role-alzheimers-disease-discovered#:~:text=The causes of most cases,so-called cold sore virus.

In my opinion all herpes viruses are suspect.

I have HSV-1.

Edited by Ell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Man I hope they find an effective treatment 

I totally agree with you, I watched my wife mother go from normal to completely shut in 2014-2021 when she finally passed away. It’s a horrible disease, if I were ever diagnosed I would end it before I was no longer able too. :cry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ell said:

In my opinion all herpes viruses are suspect.

I have HSV-1.

Did you also have Chicken Pox as a child?

5 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Did you also have Chicken Pox as a child?

I had a lot of childhood diseases.

I cannot remember having had chicken pox, though. Maybe I did; I don't know.

Nearly all of my medical problems thus far in my opinion were and are caused by HSV-1, including a heart attack at age seventeen; that coronary artery is still clogged up.

Edited by Ell
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ell said:

I had a lot of childhood diseases.

I cannot remember having had chicken pox, though. Maybe I did; I don't know.

Nearly all of my medical problems thus far in my opinion were and are caused by HSV-1, including a heart attack at age seventeen; that coronary artery is still clogged up.

I sorry to hear about all the medical problems you have had, honestly it sounds like you have a genetic disorder of some kind. The reason I asked about Chicken Pox, is because it is part of the herpesvirus group. If someone has had Chicken Pox’s, it can lead to serious Herps viral infections later in life known as Herps Zoster ( Shingles) https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/hcp/index.html

I also have Herpes Simplex 1, better known as fever blisters, I also had Chicken Pox so I hope I never get Shingles. According to my Doctor, people don’t develop Shingles unless the individual is immune compromised which I am not

8 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I sorry to hear about all the medical problems you have had, honestly it sounds like you have a genetic disorder of some kind.

My genetics are fine. The problem is exacerbated because I 'died' at age nine: that impaired the antiviral part of my immune system.

The reason I asked about Chicken Pox, is because it is part of the herpesvirus group.

I know.

I spent years writing two uncompleted and unpublished books about the herpes viruses and the many chronic diseaes those cause.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ell said:

My genetics are fine. The problem is exacerbated because I 'died' at age nine: that impaired the antiviral part of my immune system.

I know.

I spent years writing two uncompleted and unpublished books about the herpes viruses and the many chronic diseaes those cause.

I also died twice, I was gone for two minutes. I was in a vehicle that was hit with an IED, after they stabilized me I was medevacked to Germany. During the flight, my heart stopped twice, the second time I died they were going to pull the plug, but a senior doctor took over and kick started my heart again. I was unconscious for weeks and when I woke up I was in Germany and the doctor told me this story. I never got to meet the doctor that save my life and thank him for it!

How, did you die?

7 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

How, did you die?

Unnecessary tonsillectomy. Got a hemorrhage after being discharged from the hospital. No way to stop it. Must have lost half a bucket of blood. Extreme stress. Stress hormone overdose wrought disastrous changes in my biochemistry and mind.

Divine intervention like that isn't pleasant. Well, I got what I had desired. Wish I hadn't desired it, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ell said:

Unnecessary tonsillectomy. Got a hemorrhage after being discharged from the hospital. No way to stop it. Must have lost half a bucket of blood. Extreme stress. Stress hormone overdose wrought disastrous changes in my biochemistry and mind.

Divine intervention like that isn't pleasant. Well, I got what I had desired. Wish I hadn't desired it, though.

You certainly didn't deserve it, sounds like a very bad doctor to me. I mean that is same day out patient surgery!

7 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I mean that is same day out patient surgery!

No. I cannot remember how long we stayed in the hospital, but it must have been at least five days.

Presumably we were checked in and operated on on Monday and we certainly were released on Friday, the day before Christmass.

Maybe we checked in before that and stayed longer (twelve days?); I cannot recall that.

3 minutes ago, Ell said:

No. I cannot remember how long we stayed in the hospital, but it must have been at least five days.

Presumably we were checked in and operated on on Monday and we certainly were released on Friday, the day before Christmass.

Maybe we checked in before that and stayed longer (twelve days?); I cannot recall that.

When I had my tonsils, removed I went home the same day, thats why I asked! 

6 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

When I had my tonsils, removed I went home the same day, thats why I asked! 

Our tonsils were not removed. They cut off pieces of them.

Extremely traumatic. Those medics were butchers.

Edited by Ell
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ell said:

Our tonsils were not removed. They cut off pieces of them.

Extremely traumatic. Those medics were butchers.

What kind of doctors did you go to, and why would your parents take you to a place like that?

Hell, they even gave me mine, I put them in a jar of alcohol and later took them to school!:lol:

16 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

What kind of doctors did you go to, and why would your parents take you to a place like that?

It was an ear, nose and throat surgeon. Referred to by our physician; also an idiot.

My mom was always griping about never getting a bonus. So when our medical insurance company offered free tonsillectomies for children, she ran to their office and cried "Mine, mine!"

She finally got something for nothing - and we were tortured and I 'died' and was destroyed.

Edited by Ell
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ell said:

It was an ear, nose and throat surgeon.

My mom was always griping about never getting a bonus. So when our medical insurance company offered free tonsillectomies for children, she ran to their office and cried "Mine, mine!"

She finally got something for nothing - and we were tortured and I 'died' and was destroyed.

Wow, I dont know what to say, that's terrible!:(

• 1 month later...

We could be entering the era of Alzheimer's treatments, after the second drug in under a year has been shown to slow the disease.

Experts said we were now "on the cusp" of drugs being available, something that had recently seemed "impossible".

The company Eli Lilly has reported its drug - donanemab - slows the pace of Alzheimer's by about a third.

However two volunteers, and possibly a third, died as a result of dangerous swelling in the brain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65471914