Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If we live in a simulated reality, is it possible to escape it ?

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

One University of Louisville computer scientist has been exploring possible ways to escape to the 'real world'.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/365415/if-we-live-in-a-simulated-reality-is-it-possible-to-escape-it

I suppose trying to escape would be a priority, or maybe not.

Because, if you did escape where would you end up?

I would have to consider, what would have caused a Simulated existence to have occurred or to have been needed. What physical condition would my real body be in, so could I actually escape.

To many alternatives here that would need to be solved, this is much more complicated than just escaping!:yes:

JIMHO

• Like 1

Honestly, escape from a simulation would depend on what exactly is being simulated.  If we are little programs running around in a computer game, then escape may actually be undesirable.

• Like 2

Simulation makes very little sense. There still has to be a top-level world, why can't this be it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure that the beings that live on each level are pretty sure that THEIRS is the top and "real" level. This thought just doesn't bother me a bit. "God" may just be the word that I use for the one that is imagining me and the world in which I exist.

I personally have created several alternative worlds that I visit when I'm bored or trying to go to sleep. I am the god that they can thank for their existance.

Edited by DanL
I posted what I wrote but only the first line made the trip...
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Simulation makes very little sense. There still has to be a top-level world, why can't this be it?

Probability maybe?  If millions of simulations have been built, then the odds favor being in one.  If the physics we predict and observe form a  self consistent  system can we be certain there is a top level world that behaves any differently than a simulation?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Mathematical probability. Presumably a civilization capable of these simulations would be running many such simulations. Also a good probability would be that some of those simulations would be running sub simulations of their own. 
As far as this notion of escaping a simulation it’s ego that prevents people from realizing that the inhabitants of a simulation would also simulated.  I think a better question or goal would be how to hack the simulation and possibly grant yourself immortality and god-like abilities. 
Years ago I had an idea for a science fiction story about the inhabitants in a simulation somehow gaining enough power and knowledge to take over the primary reality.  If only I could write. I think that would make a cool movie or Netflix series.

As far as how we can tell if we are in a simulation I say sciences seeming inability to to come up with a unified physics model that works is possible evidence that there is something wonky with the physics of our universe, possibly built into the simulation on purpose. I’m supposing that any parameters and limitations could be programmed in before a simulation is ran for whatever reasons.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

there is a movie with a similar plot to this, if not mistaken its caller “The Thirteenth Floor”, it came out approximately at the same time as the matrix 1.

No, you're a piece of software running on hardware executing simulation. You don't exist outside. Infact you don't even exist anywhere because there is no you, it's just some code. 

You get out the same way you get in.

5o4fYF.gif

• Haha 2

I think the question of escaping an assumed simulated universe makes several assumptions.  One, that the creators of said simulation are similar to us, or perhaps are human.  Two that we are somehow plugged into the simulation and therefore escape is simply facilitating an unplugging event.

When we talk about simulations, see a very different scenario, one which we are already doing, in a very unsuspecting way.

I see a simulated universe in which the entire universe is simulated as a running program and has played out from its birth to present day.  Everything contained within this universe is entirely simulated.  The parameters of this universe being the laws of physics.

In this scenario, there is no escape, it is a closed loop, and the physics of the universe of the creators as well as what they are, and most importantly their perception of time, could be radically different to anything that has evolved within the simulation.

• Like 2

A cautionary tale... 

18 May 2014  The Large Blue caterpillars are neither large nor blue but instead closely mimic the appearance of the red ant larvae.
3 Jan 2008  Studying Maculinea alcon, a beautiful blue butterfly, in the marshes of Denmark, David R. Nash and colleagues found that Alcon butterflies...

[00.02:25]

~

• Like 1

I though the project geo 600 had accidentally proven that our universe is a giant hologram...

Edited by qxcontinuum

This is our reality. Nothing more, nothing less. If you believe in this simulation theory; you need to stop watching movies and go enjoy your life. Good lord..

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 12:36 AM, CigaretteSmokingMan said:

This is our reality. Nothing more, nothing less. If you believe in this simulation theory; you need to stop watching movies and go enjoy your life. Good lord..

And you know this how? Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 5:58 PM, Tatetopa said:

Probability maybe?  If millions of simulations have been built, then the odds favor being in one.  If the physics we predict and observe form a  self consistent  system can we be certain there is a top level world that behaves any differently than a simulation?

If we're talking probabilities, then it's far more likely that you are a Boltzmann Brain floating in the universe somewhere, with an imagined history of your life accidentally programmed into your consciousness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

If we're talking probabilities, then it's far more likely that you are a Boltzmann Brain floating in the universe somewhere, with an imagined history of your life accidentally programmed into your consciousness.

Long odds, but a dream come true, thanks.  I'm glad I imagined you.  Or was it the other way round?

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 9:58 PM, Hankenhunter said:

And you know this how? Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.

I know this because it didn’t become a thing until the Matrix movies came out. Now every half wit is clinging on to fantasies, because the real world scares them too much. 

On 3/27/2023 at 3:34 AM, kartikg said:

No, you're a piece of software running on hardware executing simulation. You don't exist outside. Infact you don't even exist anywhere because there is no you, it's just some code. 

Which takes us back to the fundamental question of creation.  Regardless of our physical expression in this simulation, there had to be a creative intelligence at the root of it all yet so many today absolutely reject any such idea.  Their stance on this seems irrational to me within the context of a "simulation".

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CigaretteSmokingMan said:

because the real world scares them too much. 

The current state of our world doesn't "scare" you?  I'm not scared of it as much as depressed  and resigned that human nature and the evil that it allows has come around again.  Our weapons this time around have the capacity to end everything we've done up to this point.  I'd say rational people recognize that there is a legitimate reason to fear what could happen in the short term future of our world today.

2 hours ago, CigaretteSmokingMan said:

I know this because it didn’t become a thing until the Matrix movies came out. Now every half wit is clinging on to fantasies, because the real world scares them too much. 

Or, maybe the glitches inspired the Matrix movies.:P

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CigaretteSmokingMan said:

That is not correct.  I had a form of this idea in elementary school in the 70's and I'm sure it's not an uncommon thing to wonder about.  My own theory was that we were plugged into machines either as part of an amusement park ride or a prison sentence.  Also if you are a simulation then for you this is the real world.  Personally I question the amount of "wits" someone without enough imagination to wonder about this has. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, and-then said:

Which takes us back to the fundamental question of creation.  Regardless of our physical expression in this simulation, there had to be a creative intelligence at the root of it all yet so many today absolutely reject any such idea.  Their stance on this seems irrational to me within the context of a "simulation".

Regardless of whether we are real or a computer generated simulation we are still a creation.  Interesting.

• Like 1

Escape? heck no. I want access to the source code!

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2023 at 5:36 AM, psyche101 said:

You get out the same way you get in.

5o4fYF.gif

“I’m taking aim, Flint!”