Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humza Yousaf to succeed Sturgeon as SNP leader

Still Waters

Humza Yousaf is to succeed Nicola Sturgeon as SNP leader and Scotland's first minister after a vote of party members.

Mr Yousaf defeated rivals Kate Forbes and Ash Regan in a leadership contest that exposed deep divisions within the party.

The 37-year-old is the first Muslim to lead a major UK party. 

He is set to be confirmed as the first ethnic minority leader of a devolved government on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65086551

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see how Humza is received by the Scottish electorate ?

My experience is Scots do hold quite traditional views on matters such as the role of women in the home. Along the lines of they should stay there and look after the wains while awaiting instructions from the head of the family :w00t:

Anyone that cannot prove linage to Robert the Bruce is looked on with suspicion, if not outright dislike, which is reserved for the English.;) :lol:

As we have seen with the lack of support for an snp woke campaign on LBQ, with the ousting of the previously bulletproof Nicola, the views in Edinburgh are not in evidence outside that political bubble. 

Poor Humza might be seen as too much of an outsider by the clan's, irrespective of the facts. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"As we have seen with the lack of support for an snp woke campaign on LBQ, with the ousting of the previously bulletproof Nicola, the views in Edinburgh are not in evidence outside that political bubble. "

Yes, that's a thought, what is the Muslim take on the LGBQ+ agenda I wonder !

• Like 1

"A few months spent working in a call centre during a university summer holiday aside, Humza Yousaf has spent his adult life steeped in Scottish nationalist politics. 

He will become Scotland’s new First Minister - the first Muslim and member of an ethnic minority background to hold the role - when he is formally sworn in at the Court of Session in Edinburgh on Wednesday.

Mr Yousaf has pledged to use "any means necessary" to break up the UK if he becomes first minister. He said he would consider a snap Holyrood election to try to demonstrate public support for independence, and that nothing should be "off the table".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/humza-yousaf-the-new-snp-leader-who-vowed-to-break-up-britain-by-any-means-necessary/ar-AA1982To?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=4491ba9658664d82b9c17ee6482b8716&ei=22

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"As we have seen with the lack of support for an snp woke campaign on LBQ, with the ousting of the previously bulletproof Nicola, the views in Edinburgh are not in evidence outside that political bubble. "

Yes, that's a thought, what is the Muslim take on the LGBQ+ agenda I wonder !

Depends on the muslim as an individual.

11 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

It will be interesting to see how Humza is received by the Scottish electorate ?

My experience is Scots do hold quite traditional views on matters such as the role of women in the home. Along the lines of they should stay there and look after the wains while awaiting instructions from the head of the family :w00t:

Anyone that cannot prove linage to Robert the Bruce is looked on with suspicion, if not outright dislike, which is reserved for the English.;) :lol:

As we have seen with the lack of support for an snp woke campaign on LBQ, with the ousting of the previously bulletproof Nicola, the views in Edinburgh are not in evidence outside that political bubble. 

Poor Humza might be seen as too much of an outsider by the clan's, irrespective of the facts. :ph34r:

Evidence suggests that SNP leaders named after fish do well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

What I find puzzling is that although the English are generally anti-immigrant, when immigrants do arrive they are elected to the highest office- PM, Mayor of London, numerous Cabinet ministerial posts and mayors of other towns. Now one is First Minister for Scotland. 

So maybe the English are shooting themselves in the feet by denying them entry?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pellinore said:

What I find puzzling is that although the English are generally anti-immigrant, when immigrants do arrive they are elected to the highest office- PM, Mayor of London, numerous Cabinet ministerial posts and mayors of other towns. Now one is First Minister for Scotland. 

In general, I have great experiance with the English. I have here in Canada many english friends 1st or second immigrants to Canada, like myself. My son in law is second generation english immigrant, the other one is third generation Irish.

Like every other country, England WILL support immigrants if they adapt, work hard, and respect the new country and their culture.

The problems are, as usual, the immigrants who refuse to adapt and the english who hate immigrants just because they are immigrants.

That is no different from other countries and I believe we, outsiders, are a bit to hard sometimes on the english with not much factual reason.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, odas said:

The problems are, as usual, the immigrants who refuse to adapt and the english who hate immigrants just because they are immigrants.

Who are, of course, themselves descendants of illegal immigrants :P

(Actually, all us Britons are of mixed heritage - British, Irish, Angle, Saxon, Jute, Dane, Viking, Flem, Franco-Norman, African, Asian, etc -  true mongrels  :tu:  -  but it's often those who consider themselves Anglo-saxon first and foremost who tend to be most opposed to immigrants)

11 minutes ago, Essan said:

Who are, of course, themselves descendants of illegal immigrants :P

(Actually, all us Britons are of mixed heritage - British, Irish, Angle, Saxon, Jute, Dane, Viking, Flem, Franco-Norman, African, Asian, etc -  true mongrels  :tu:  -  but it's often those who consider themselves Anglo-saxon first and foremost who tend to be most opposed to immigrants)

I know but this is hardly a Brit only issue. My Bosnian heritage is of Illyrian, Slavic, Greek, Roman, Celtic.....people came, left, stayed....assimilated, adapted....forced to adapt...and that all before the ottoman invasion.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:12 PM, pellinore said:

The British aren't generally anti-immigration, which does explain your puzzlement on the issue. ;)

Brits are anti uncontrolled immigration and feel generally that immigration numbers should be set in accordance with the needs of the nation. 

Not the needs of the migrants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The British aren't generally anti-immigration, which does explain your puzzlement on the issue. ;)

Brits are anti uncontrolled immigration and feel generally that immigration numbers should be set in accordance with the needs of the nation. 

I remeber the early 70' when my family, like so many others, moved to Germany as guest workers. It took really not long to adapt for us. Work, kindergarten, school, friends...(yes, some germans did not like us but it was the very low minority, older people). Even now, young immigrants or guest workers from croatia, bosnia, serbia...find a job very easily and adapt. I believe that is the case in UK too.

Unfortunately, new immigrants from mostly non european countries, but also many from eastern and southeastern countries,  don't have the desire to addapt as I can see it.

Just like in UK, in Germany there are politicians, children from early immigrants of all backgrounds, so to heavily cry about racism or anti immigrant sentiment is unfactual.

Every country will have domestic racist and anti immigration individuals who themslves have achieved nothing in their life and look for excuses and blame and there will always be immigrants who will missuse the liberal and humane laws of the country they moved to and engage in criminal activities.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think it is pretty safe to say most people want immigration reduced,not controlled. There has been outrage over the fact that since taking back control of our borders and our new immigration policy, immigration has increased not decreased. What is the point of controlled immigration if it is higher than Freedom of Movement? We would have been better off leaving the policy as it was (unless we particularly disliked our fellow Europeans, of course).

Most voters (55%) think immigration to the UK is currently too high, while 22% think it is about right and 8% think it is too low. The vast majority of people who voted Conservative at the last election, 78%, think immigration is too high.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pellinore said:

I think it is pretty safe to say most people want immigration reduced, not controlled

Most voters (55%) think immigration to the UK is currently too high, while 22% think it is about right and 8% think it is too low. The vast majority of people who voted Conservative at the last election, 78%, think immigration is too high.

There has to be control to reduce numbers when otherwise, like today, numbers are higher than 55% want to see. 

Then a number has to be formulated for immigration.

But there won't be a big push for calculating this as it may well show there is no upside for the UK economy.

With the biggest benefit for those who arrive and live in this country.

Which is why most are here, as economic migrants. 

5 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

There has to be control to reduce numbers when otherwise, like today, numbers are higher than 55% want to see. 

Then a number has to be formulated for immigration.

But there won't be a big push for calculating this as it may well show there is no upside for the UK economy.

With the biggest benefit for those who arrive and live in this country.

Which is why most are here, as economic migrants. 

Can you imagine how maddening it is, to have to suffer the loss of freedom and damage of Brexit, for Brexiters now to turn around and say they "don't mind immigration"?

Crazy!

• Like 1