Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dalai Lama names Mongolian boy as new Buddhist spiritual leader

Still Waters

The Dalai Lama has proclaimed a Mongolian boy born in US as the reincarnation of the third most important spiritual leader in Tibetan Buddhism.

The eight-year-old boy was pictured with the Dalai Lama at a ceremony that took place in Dharamshala in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.

Dharamshala is also the place where the Dalai Lama — Tenzin Gyatso –, 87, currently lives in exile and is recognised as the 10th Khalkha Jetsun Dhampa Rinpoche.

“We have the reincarnation of Khalkha Jetsun Dhampa Rinpoché of Mongolia with us today,” Dalai Lama told his followers present at the ceremony.

https://www.firstpost.com/world/ignoring-chinas-displeasure-dalai-lama-names-mongolian-boy-as-new-buddhist-spiritual-leader-12349332.html

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/dalai-lama-names-us-born-boy-3rd-highest-leader-in-buddhism-report-3895888

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see a great monk took rebirth in America. West is meeting East everyday on the religious/spiritual front. The West has been traditionally ahead materially but the East spiritually.

Got to hate on China though for its lack of support for religious freedom and expression.

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The West has been traditionally ahead materially but the East spiritually.

How is the East 'ahead' of the West spiritually?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Liquid Gardens said:

In the development of the philosophies of spirituality in India versus the Abrahamic religions (IMO).

On 3/27/2023 at 11:48 AM, papageorge1 said:

In the development of the philosophies of spirituality in India versus the Abrahamic religions (IMO).

Chauvinism vs the caste system......ok then....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

But how can they be both the reincarnation of the same person if they are both alive at the same time?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, Liquid Gardens said:

And the fact that not every Buddhist follows the Dummy Lama. Over half think he's a superstitious hypocrite and a schmuck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Chauvinism vs the caste system......ok then....

The caste system is not theology. What I was referring to are philosophies like Advaita Vedanta

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

And the fact that not every Buddhist follows the Dummy Lama. Over half think he's a superstitious hypocrite and a schmuck. 

I know next to nothing about the DL but I do think he and the boys family are potentially being very reckless with regards to the children's safety.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yea don't know much about him actually, he seems like a nice guy per how he's marketed and I at least haven't heard him badmouth/try to restrict the rights/punch down on other members of society that he doesn't morally approve of, but the superstitious stuff (like reincarnation) is indeed a bit schmucky.  There were multiple things with the way papa phrased it that were squirrelly to me.  'Traditionally' and 'ahead' imply something else to me, let alone that even if his statements were right that the West is ahead materially, that in itself for at least the Christian West is putting us ahead spiritually also.  I've mentioned this often, but the efforts of all religions combined have not done as much to alleviate the suffering of the poor, sick and hungry than godless science and 'materialism' (in the Material Girl by Madonna sense, not the dualism sense). 

Ultimately I think papa just meant 'traditionally ahead' to mean 'I think they're ahead because I agree with one of their religions'.  If there was some more objective sense that spirituality could be considered 'ahead' for the East vs the West I'm all ears.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Yea don't know much about him actually, he seems like a nice guy per how he's marketed and I at least haven't heard him badmouth/try to restrict the rights/punch down on other members of society that he doesn't morally approve of, but the superstitious stuff (like reincarnation) is indeed a bit schmucky.  There were multiple things with the way papa phrased it that were squirrelly to me.  'Traditionally' and 'ahead' imply something else to me, let alone that even if his statements were right that the West is ahead materially, that in itself for at least the Christian West is putting us ahead spiritually also.  I've mentioned this often, but the efforts of all religions combined have not done as much to alleviate the suffering of the poor, sick and hungry than godless science and 'materialism' (in the Material Girl by Madonna sense, not the dualism sense). 

Ultimately I think papa just meant 'traditionally ahead' to mean 'I think they're ahead because I agree with one of their religions'.  If there was some more objective sense that spirituality could be considered 'ahead' for the East vs the West I'm all ears.

I think the reason why many Westerners gravitate towards Buddhism or other "eastern Philosophies" is because they feel dissatisfied with Christianity and/or acknowledge the failings of the Bible as a historical or moral document/ But then that causes them anxiety about not knowing what happens after death/fear of cessation of existence. So they cling to "eastern Philosophies" as something they like to view as spiritually more sensible or "pure" and the hope of reincarnation. 

A telling aspect is that Western people often adopt the Buddhist/Eastern idea of reincarnation because they like the idea of having more than one life and returning to this world after death, when in actual Buddhism, as far as I understand it, reincarnation is something negative that is meant to be broken/escaped through enlightenment. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

While visiting the UK he made the comment refugees should stay in their own countries, which I call a Universal case of self projection.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

The caste system is not theology. What I was referring to are philosophies like Advaita Vedanta

You have to be born a Hindu in a caste......But why am I even talking to a American culture vulture.....

Back on ignore......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

"The Quakers, for their size have done more for human rights and humanitarian aid than any other denomination." UN report

Also

The Tendai sect along with the Yakuza as to keep their balance going have done the most disaster relief and aid than the Japanese government themselves and they think the Banana Lama is a ass. 

So East and West is not a factor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

But how can they be both the reincarnation of the same person if they are both alive at the same time?

I was wondering that as I remember before the monks went looking for the reincarnation a few years after the old one died.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I was wondering that as I remember before the monks went looking for the reincarnation a few years after the old one died.   

I also read several years ago that the current Dalai Lama had, apparently, decided not to re-incarnate again so that China can't name his successor/supposed reincarnation to use them for their political goals, or something.

Looks like he decided differently now, and that his own reincarnation can,somehow, be on alive at the same time he is.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Piney said:

You have to be born a Hindu in a caste......But why am I even talking to a American culture vulture.....

Back on ignore......

LOL, I've been on ignore?? The Hindu teachers I respect welcome all people.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I also read several years ago that the current Dalai Lama had, apparently, decided not to re-incarnate again so that China can't name his successor/supposed reincarnation to use them for their political goals, or something.

Looks like he decided differently now, and that his own reincarnation can,somehow, be on alive at the same time he is.

I think the boy is not his reincarnation, he has chosen his successor, someone he can train while he is still on the planet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think the boy is not his reincarnation, he has chosen his successor, someone he can train while he is still on the planet.

"spiritual grooming"

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

"spiritual grooming"

~

:unsure2:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

:unsure2:

There's still a chance he might get his way... what he REALLY wants 

28 Jun 2019  So it's no surprise that people were shook when in a recent interview, the exiled Tibetan leader said that if his reincarnation was to be a ...

~

• Like 3

That which is beyond the constraints of linear time knows no past, no present and no future, but experiences a simultaneity of multiple avatar's existences.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

This boy is not his successor.  The Dalai lama does get to choose the reincarnations of those high lamas under his authority.

The Chinese government has assumed this authority for some time, and is pushing back against the Dalai lama's making the appointment.  They might try to appoint somebody else, another child.  Or pressure the Mongolian government to appoint another.  But Mongolian Buddhism is tantric Vajrayana of Tibetan Gelupka tradition, so the Dalai lama is technically their leader, though the Chinese government claims they are.

“We have the reincarnation of Khalkha Jetsun Dhampa Rinpoché of Mongolia with us today,” Dalai Lama told his followers present at the ceremony.

Edited by Wistman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is just a re-focus of all future anti government activities and undermining CCP policies to the North, closer to the One Belt, One road initiatives. 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SHaYap said:

This is just a re-focus of all future anti government activities and undermining CCP policies to the North, closer to the One Belt, One road initiatives. 

~

It's impossible to separate geopolitics from the Tibetan Buddhist leadership question,  and this issue with the appointment of lamas is an old tug of war between the two parties - seen most famously but not exclusively in the circumstances surrounding the career of the 10th Panchen lama before and after his 18 year incarceration by the PRC, the Dalai lama's appointment (from exile) of the Panchen lama's reincarnated successor, the arrest and disappearance of that boy, and the subsequent appointment of a successor by the PRC.  The appointment of a reincarnated successor to the Dalai lama is also claimed by the PRC, thus the indication that the Dalai lama may nullify his reincarnation, to thwart them, and let his exalted status die with him, supposedly.

https://www.atla.com/blog/the-last-ten-years-of-the-tenth-panchen-lama-restructuring-buddhism-in-tibet/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Panchen_Lama_controversy

However, you are right the current dust-up over this Mongolian boy plays into the byzantine efforts being applied against the PRC's Belt and Road initiative from many quarters, and against the CCP itself, more historically.

• Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Wistman said:

It's impossible to separate geopolitics from the Tibetan Buddhist leadership question,...

No, it is not and there is nothing to separate, Buddhism in as of itself is as far from all things geopolitical as the earth is from the edge of the universe. 

I'd like to see what happens when or if some pious Christian monk/priest/pastor walks up to the Pope at the Vatican palatial grounds and claims to be the reincarnation of some Pope of the past and demands to be Pope... 

Pure idiocy is what it is... 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1