Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rapper Afroman sued for using failed police raid footage in music videos

OverSword

Law enforcement officers in Ohio have filed a lawsuit against rapper Afroman alleging that he invaded their privacy by using images of them raiding his house.

Afroman, whose real name is Joseph Foreman, had his house raided in August 2022 by officers with the Adam’s County Sheriff’s Office.

The officers were acting on a warrant asserting probable cause for narcotics being stored and kidnappings taking place on the property. 

No evidence of criminal activity was found on the property and no charges were filed.

Foreman recorded the raid on a series of security cameras on his property and inside his house.

Video footage shows police ramming down his door, searching his wardrobe, opening CD cases, and at one point briefly glancing at a lemon pound cake on his counter — a moment repeatedly referenced by Foreman in subsequent songs.

Link

• Thanks 1

What is really really impressive is that they didn't find a SINGLE thing. In Afroman's house. Not a blunt roach, nothing. He must have known they were coming.

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 5

Probably stems from the fact the rapper didn't have video consent forms signed by the LEO and other persons present.

I know the SCOTUS has ruled that police don't have a reasonable right to privacy in public and can be filmed but does that apply to music videos? Doubtful.

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 2

Wow, the Popo is really doubling down on the dickishness aren't they?

Do they ever wonder why fewer and fewer people like or trust them? 

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Probably stems from the fact the rapper didn't have video consent forms signed by the LEO and other persons present.

I know the SCOTUS has ruled that police don't have a reasonable right to privacy in public and can be filmed but does that apply to music videos? Doubtful.

Maybe, but you can put public figures in videos without consent and police are public figures.  

Whatever the case though, I think the police that applied for the warrant and the judge that issued it need to undergo examination of their procedures.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

No evidence of criminal activity was found on the property and no charges were filed.

I'd actually like to see some repercussions for these kind of failures on law enforcement.  Ramming down someone's door is a very dangerous action, for both the cops and homeowners; to expect a homeowner in gun-drenched America to not instinctively defend themselves in a chaotic, threatening situation is asking too much (as is unfortunately in some cases expecting the cops to even have the correct street address for a perp).  If you're ramming down someone's door I think the threat should be very imminent and the probable cause should be held to a higher 'very probable' standard, and failures like in this case held against the authorities who approved the raid.

• Like 6

In looking further into the issue, it seems he does have a right to use the footage in his music video because it was filmed on his property. Also as noted at this website https://www.sidebarsaturdays.com/2021/07/24/https-wp-me-p7vddb-bc/#:~:text=While getting permission to use music clips is,a fee to the directors and writers guilds. it states:

"Like music clips, copyrights in film and TV clips are owned by a group of creators, each with their own copyright. Usually, film clips require releases from actors, narrators, and voices featured in the clip, as well as the owner of the film or TV show and a fee to the directors and writers guilds."

So based upon that evidence Afroman has ownership and fair use of the footage in the music video.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, Liquid Gardens said:

I'd actually like to see some repercussions for these kind of failures on law enforcement.  Ramming down someone's door is a very dangerous action, for both the cops and homeowners; to expect a homeowner in gun-drenched America to not instinctively defend themselves in a chaotic, threatening situation is asking too much (as is unfortunately in some cases expecting the cops to even have the correct street address for a perp).  If you're ramming down someone's door I think the threat should be very imminent and the probable cause should be held to a higher 'very probable' standard, and failures like in this case held against the authorities who approved the raid.

I’ve seen them raid the wrong house, completely trash the place, kill their dogs, and come to find out got the wrong address. No repercussions. No help for the victims. 

• Like 4