Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ABBA fans banned from wearing 70s ‘Afro wigs’ at concert.

itsnotoutthere

ABBA fans have been banned from wearing 1970s “disco wigs” to the pop group’s virtual concert because they are “culturally insensitive”.

Ticket-holders for the ABBA Voyage show – which is held at a purpose-built venue in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and features holograms of the band performing their greatest hits – received an email telling them Afro-style hairpieces are “not appropriate” for the event.

In the email, seen by the Mail on Sunday, promoters said: “Many of our guests will want to get in the spirit of the show by dressing up for their visit. [But] please do not wear so-called ‘Afro’ wigs.

“These wigs are culturally insensitive and not appropriate to be worn as fancy dress. If any guests are wearing this style of wig they will be respectfully asked to remove them as a condition of entry to the arena.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/abba-fans-banned-from-wearing-70s-afro-wigs-at-concert/ar-AA1967oE?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=1b6d2ad636e84c9cb6c91471f5c899ee&ei=43

:hmm:

• Haha 9
  • Confused 2

“These wigs are culturally insensitive"   

What does that even mean?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

“These wigs are culturally insensitive"   

What does that even mean?

I really don't know.

I grew up in the 60's and early 70's and blacks were wearing Afro's everywhere you looked. Advertisers were hawking their Afro Sheen products on TV. It was part of the culture at the time and now it's derogatory????

The only thing I can think of why they're culturally insensitive because "White People" might be wearing them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This is ****en stupid. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

@acute we're you at....

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I really don't know.

I grew up in the 60's and early 70's and blacks were wearing Afro's everywhere you looked. Advertisers were hawking their Afro Sheen products on TV. It was part of the culture at the time and now it's derogatory????

The only thing I can think of why they're culturally insensitive because "White People" might be wearing them.

Not only blacks, man, whites had them too. I remember my fathers best buddy, Wolfgang. His afro was so tall he had to duck to get thru the door.

This has nothing to do with cultural sensitivity but with a fashion at a given time. Those who are banning it are losers with nothing else to show for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

You just know that at no point have any black people been involved in this, this is all down to self loathing white middle class liberal types. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

My middle son who is half Black and I were just saying that. White guilt is making us both sick.

White people are not guilty of their ancestors actions and the White as Snow Flakes need to get over it. 

I think they are the most racist, not snowflakes, gestapo trying to make everyone do their bidding.   We need to ignore them or flog them or put them in stocks in the city squares.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think they are the most racist, not snowflakes, gestapo trying to make everyone do their bidding.   We need to ignore them or flog them or put them in stocks in the city squares.

We always have some White person get on our case about throwing the N word at each other.

So we do it more. :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

We always have some White person get on our case about throwing the N word at each other.

So we do it more. :devil:

Well, I was taught that it was not polited to say the N word, and now the pink/beige people get upset if you say Indian, but the natives call themselves Ind'n where I come from.  Offense is taken not given, that's what those silly meddlers don't understand.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, I was taught that it was not polited to say the N word, and now the pink/beige people get upset if you say Indian, but the natives call themselves Ind'n where I come from.  Offense is taken not given, that's what those silly meddlers don't understand.   

I'm a ****ing Indian and they can shove every other term up their ass. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

So, when black people dye their hair red or blond. Are they cultural appropriating whites? :unsure2:

I see Joy Reid on MSNBC with dyed red hair and she always spouts off about this crap.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I’m sure I’d be canceled a thousand times over if the butthurts of Amerca heard the way my Indian friends and I talk to each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hawken said:

So, when black people dye their hair red or blond. Are they cultural appropriating whites? :unsure2:

I see Joy Reid on MSNBC with dyed red hair and she always spouts off about this crap.

And have a plastic surgery Disney princess face, bleached skin along with the Hannah Montana wig and fake slanted eyes.They are called Asiaboos.  

My son's ex goes around in a blond wig. I told her she looks like a burnt cheeseburger. But Eff her. She hates me anyway because I was always on her to get a job and took my kid out of that situation. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hawken said:

Or even when dark haired, white, people dye their hair red or blond .....

Or a woman with short hair wears a long wig .....

Or anyone who isn't Brian Blessed* dresses up as Father Christmas .....

It's really no different.    Except we're mature enough not to take offence where none was intended.

* Brian Blessed is the only person on the planet who looks and sounds like the traditional, English, Father Christmas ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the guy from a Battlebots team called Deathroll from Australia.  I wonder if he would be allowed at the concert?

image.jpeg

• Like 2

My best friend Mike (Italian) had a  HUGE  Afro in 1968…. about half of which, in total darkness, went up in a blaze of fire and smoke, when Jerry, in the lower bunk reached up and lit his lighter,  for Mike leaning over in the upper bunk.    POOF!*:rofl:      Mike was upset, because Art and Jerry, and I, couldn’t stop laughing.     Mike had to downsize …to remain in 12th grade.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

It's an ABBA concert--who cares? Who's opening for them, The Captain and Tennille? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you google pictures of ABBA fans there are no pictures of their fans wearing afro wigs.  They mainly look like this

c8fe04af775b4601c219d1d7f0ebfa23?src

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'll never get tired of posting this.

IMG_0477.jpg

Just the absolute hate in her face is priceless.

Edited by Zebra3
  • Haha 2

I'm thinking if I go to one of their concerts and it's humid out, I will have my own afro and it's totally natural...and I'm neon white.    ;)   

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Zebra3 said:

I'll never get tired of posting this.

IMG_0477.jpg

Just the absolute hate in her face is priceless.

That is the face of someone who has been constipated since age 4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1