Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Importance of traditional American values has plummeted across US

Portre

4 minutes ago, Portre said:

Please give us more words (your own) about this link.  Do you agree with it, doubt it or what?   Why are you posting it?

Good lord! More tripe from Fox News.   

So you think american values are patriotism and reliogious faith?   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Please give us more words (your own) about this link.  Do you agree with it, doubt it or what?   Why are you posting it?

So you think american values are patriotism and reliogious faith?   

My apologies, I assumed it would be obvious.  We're winning the culture war.  Traditional values plummet!  Our Grooming Centers are working! :gun:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Portre said:

My apologies, I assumed it would be obvious.  We're winning the culture war.  Traditional values plummet!  Our Grooming Centers are working! :gun:

I don't get sarcasm very often but this looks like sarcasm, causing me to assume you agree with the manipulative Fox psuedo news story.   I think you still need to explain what you really think.  

For one thing, "American values" are not Patriotism and faith in some deity.   U.S. American values are "work hard, do your best, thrive, don't let the government get too big".   This country is a melting pot of different cultures and the cardinal rule is that all are welcome, and all are allowed to thrive.   People who think "Patriotism" is a core value don't know or understand the U.S. history.   Patriotism is a manipulative word used to get large groups of people to give up their guns and property to "The State".   There is nothing wrong with being patriotic but it is Not a U.S. American Core Value. 

As for the being allowed to thrive, there are people in this country (sad little angry people) who do their best to keep some groups from thriving and resent anyone in those groups who do thrive.  Are you one of those?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Portre said:

Our Grooming Centers are working! 

Indeed they are.  FOX news and other media have been quite successful in fragmenting the country and turning group against group for profit.  Capitalism also plays a part.  As corporations become larger and more global, local businesses have been squashed.  Family and community values have taken a back seat to employment needs.  Power and greed are squeezing the younger generation and making a nuclear family more difficult to afford.  Corporations are not inherently evil or conspiratorial, but they have no goal except maximizing profit for shareholders.  Patriotism or family sentiments just get in the way. 

Who are the ones promoting faith and religious values, the quiet ones who go about healing the sick and caring for the poor?  Or  is it the megachurch pastors who tell their flocks that God loves consumers and rich people  to keep their message more in line with corporate values and keep the donations flowing?  How many private jets does it take to fly to Heaven? 

Who promotes patriotism?  Its tough to be patriotic when one does not even  trust the government and really just wants to be left alone in decaying anarchy.

To blame the younger generation for this is a gross diversion.   We have done this to ourselves and infected our children.  Though we may have values as individuals, we have shown our children that greed and expediency are the values that drive our society.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Hard to be patriotic when the government actively goes against anything beneficial to it's own people.

Hard to have religious faith when you just don't believe in it (not sure how you can blame any group for this, it's natural evolution and personal choice IMO). Christianity isn't the one and only faith, BTW.

Hard to have kids when most people can't even afford a decent place to live. Better to not have kids then to bring them into poverty and want.

Article I'm sure wants to assign blame on "lib tards" or whatever (didn't bother to read it, don't care), but I bet government and capitalism aren't mentioned, when that's really all that needs to be mentioned. Other countries do it better, and I'm envious of those countries. 

Edited by moonman
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

There is nothing wrong with being patriotic but it is Not a U.S. American Core Value. 

Are you aware of just how patriotic Americans come across to everyone else around the world? The levels of patriotism in the US is huge, certainly compared to patriotism in Australia, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article about just why Americans are statistically more patriotic than other nations. 

• Like 2

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious," according to Oscar Wilde.

:D

• Like 2

Patriotic or not some people are just plain vicious.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:39 AM, Portre said:

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, moonman said:

Hard to be patriotic when the government actively goes against anything beneficial to it's own people.

Hard to have religious faith when you just don't believe in it (not sure how you can blame any group for this, it's natural evolution and personal choice IMO). Christianity isn't the one and only faith, BTW.

Hard to have kids when most people can't even afford a decent place to live. Better to not have kids then to bring them into poverty and want.

Article I'm sure wants to assign blame on "lib tards" or whatever (didn't bother to read it, don't care), but I bet government and capitalism aren't mentioned, when that's really all that needs to be mentioned. Other countries do it better, and I'm envious of those countries. 

Hard to be proud of our government when this is what they are pushing on our children:

https://www.libsoftiktok.com/p/watch-drag-queen-appears-to-perform#play

• Thanks 1

Meh. The "values" that dropped are Patriotism, religion, and having kids. 

The Monday poll questioned U.S. respondents about the importance of patriotism, religious faith, having children and other traditional U.S. metrics. The poll found that just 39% of Americans say their religious faith is very important to them, and just 38% say patriotism is very important.

Nothing too concerning there and that matches international trends. 

The only one kind of a concern is the drop of patriotism. But I imagine most people are patriotic and just don't identify that way because they associate the word with flag waving crazy people 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, Desertrat56 said:

The poll is from the Wall Street Journal and it's probably accurate.  Do you doubt that less people feel patriotic now than did in 1990 or that religious beliefs are less important to more people now than in 1990?

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, Desertrat56 said:

For one thing, "American values" are not Patriotism and faith in some deity.

But they used to be.  Just watch old Hollywood movies or TV shows.  That stuff sold.

• Like 1

moonman was right I think.  It's hard to feel like a patriot with the current bunch of greedy narcissist's and criminals running our government and all the corporations that it mainly serves.  People would like to be proud of their government I think but you would have to be blind to feel that way right now.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The poll is from the Wall Street Journal and it's probably accurate.  Do you doubt that less people feel patriotic now than did in 1990 or that religious beliefs are less important to more people now than in 1990?

The story was from Fox about loss of values, it used the poll as proof.   But the skew was that american values are only patriotism and faith in god.   That is what I was responding to.   I don't doubt fewer people claim to be patriotic and I know fewer people are going to church, more people are recognizing the hypocracy of a lot of religious leaders and organizations.   So yes, religious beliefs are less importatnt to more people than in 1990. And being patriotic is different than claiming you are a patriot, but no one is going to identify with those (as someone else put it) flag wavy crazy extremists, so that probably affected the numbers on that question in the poll. depending on the way the question was worded.

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But they used to be.  Just watch old Hollywood movies or TV shows.  That stuff sold.

No they didn't.   Patriotism was on the list (list not The core) but faith in god was not a core american value.   We have freedom of religion in our constitution and that means freedom to not be religious as well.   Old Hollywood movies and TV shows are programming just like we have different kind of programming today on all entertainment mediums.  Entertainment is used to get people to conform to certain thinking.  I did watch those shows and sometimes I was bothered by the messages, even as a kid.  (Brady Brats was the worst, but Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, all pure fantasy)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

No they didn't.   Patriotism was on the list (list not The core) but faith in god was not a core american value.   We have freedom of religion in our constitution and that means freedom to not be religious as well.   Old Hollywood movies and TV shows are programming just like we have different kind of programming today on all entertainment mediums.  Entertainment is used to get people to conform to certain thinking.

You remember the good old days different than me.  I come from a family full of church going cops and soldiers.  I did not follow that path personally as I worshipped heavy metal and marijuana :D

• Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

You remember the good old days different than me.  I come from a family full of church going cops and soldiers.  I did not follow that path personally as I worshipped heavy metal and marijuana :D

Yes, and the american core values allowed you that choice.   I grew up with religious relatives too, and every man had served in the army or air force, what does that have to do with thinking faith in god is an american value?   Like I said patriotism is a value, but not the way it was presented in that article.  And I understand why people would choose not to identify as patriotic, even when they actually are because of all the violent nutters claiming to be patriots.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, Desertrat56 said:

I don't get sarcasm very often but this looks like sarcasm, causing me to assume you agree with the manipulative Fox psuedo news story.   I think you still need to explain what you really think.  

Sorry, no can do without sarcasm. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, and the american core values allowed you that choice.   I grew up with religious relatives too, and every man had served in the army or air force, what does that have to do with thinking faith in god is an american value?   Like I said patriotism is a value, but not the way it was presented in that article.  And I understand why people would choose not to identify as patriotic, even when they actually are because of all the violent nutters claiming to be patriots.

I just have to disagree.  Patriotism was a big deal to Americans since the founding.  They used the word to death.  

• Like 1

For people who rag on FOX news, I suppose they don't verify any other source to see if they might be getting the truth from them either. They must just take it as fact, which is foolish.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-world/more-americans-pulling-back-from-traditional-values-new-poll-finds-wall-street-journalnorc-poll-having-children-community-involvement-religion-and-hard-work-american-dream-unity-economic-conditions-pessimism-american-outlook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Are you aware of just how patriotic Americans come across to everyone else around the world? The levels of patriotism in the US is huge, certainly compared to patriotism in Australia, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article about just why Americans are statistically more patriotic than other nations. 

Maybe that's why it became super power. Patriotism indeed drives people to do good for their nation and their fellow country men. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I just have to disagree.  Patriotism was a big deal to Americans since the founding.  They used the word to death.  

But it isn't One of only two values is it?

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

For people who rag on FOX news, I suppose they don't verify any other source to see if they might be getting the truth from them either. They must just take it as fact, which is foolish.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-world/more-americans-pulling-back-from-traditional-values-new-poll-finds-wall-street-journalnorc-poll-having-children-community-involvement-religion-and-hard-work-american-dream-unity-economic-conditions-pessimism-american-outlook

If I find a story on CNN or Fox that sounds off  I always go to other sources, and often if the story even shows up it has a totally different slant depending on which source it is.

• Like 3