Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA’s Webb Measures the Temperature of a Rocky Exoplanet

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA’s Webb Measures the Temperature of a Rocky Exoplanet

An international team of researchers has used NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope to measure the temperature of the rocky exoplanet TRAPPIST-1 b. The measurement is based on the planet’s thermal emission: heat energy given off in the form of infrared light detected by Webb’s Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI). The result indicates that the planet’s dayside has a temperature of about 500 kelvins (roughly 450 degrees Fahrenheit) and suggests that it has no significant atmosphere.

This is the first detection of any form of light emitted by an exoplanet as small and as cool as the rocky planets in our own solar system. The result marks an important step in determining whether planets orbiting small active stars like TRAPPIST-1 can sustain atmospheres needed to support life. It also bodes well for Webb’s ability to characterize temperate, Earth-sized exoplanets using MIRI.

Read More: NASA

• Thanks 1

The star, TRAPPIST-1, is an ultracool red dwarf (M dwarf) with a temperature of only 2,566 kelvins and a mass just 0.09 times the mass of the Sun. ...

Webb has not captured any images of the planet. ...

The dayside brightness of TRAPPIST-1 b at 15 microns corresponds to a temperature of about 500 kelvins ...

By subtracting the brightness of the star on its own (during the secondary eclipse) from the brightness of the star and planet combined, they were able to successfully calculate how much infrared light is being given off by the planet. ...

MIRI’s F1500W filter, which only allows light with wavelengths ranging from 13.5-16.6 microns to pass through to the detectors. ...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2023/nasa-s-webb-measures-the-temperature-of-a-rocky-exoplanet

I do not believe that this alleged planet exists.

What is interpreted as this secondary eclipse in my opinion simply was a small area of the star dimming and later getting brighter again.

Edited by Ell

20 minutes ago, Ell said:

What is interpreted as this secondary eclipse in my opinion simply was a small area of the star dimming and later getting brighter again.

You do this a lot. You offer a personal opinion which contradicts that of the evidence based conclusions of the experts in their field but produce absolutely no evidence to back those opinions  up. I have seen nothing from you to convince me that your opinions on astronomy are based on any kind of expertise, knowledge, logic or empirical data. In short I see no reason to classify your opinions as anything other than totally worthless. 

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typos

2 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You do this a lot. You offer a personal opinion which contradicts that of the evidence based conclusions of the experts in their field but produce absolutely no evidence to back those opinions  up. I have seen nothing from you to convince me that your opinions on astronomy are based on any kind of expertise, knowledge, logic or empirical data. In short I see no reason to classify your opinions as anything other than totallt worthless. 

So you prefer to believe fantasists instead of me. Okay.

I am simply asking for reliable evidence that this alleged planet exists. None has been provided:

Webb has not captured any images of the planet.

14 minutes ago, Ell said:

So you prefer to believe fantasists instead of me. Okay.

No, I prefer to believe evidence based science instead over inflated-ego based opinion. For the reasons given in my previous post I see no reason to believe you... you offer nothing. 

14 minutes ago, Ell said:

I am simply asking for reliable evidence that this alleged planet exists. None has been provided:

That evidence is there, the fact that you are unwilling and/or incapable of understanding it is irrelevant. 

Your posts are always the same, simply your opinion that the science is wrong. This is a text book case of an argument from incredulity... which is a logical fallacy.  Since all you offer is a logical fallacy your arguments are invalid and can be treated as such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ell said:

So where did the infrared light measured by James Webb come from?  ;)     

48 minutes ago, Essan said:

So where did the infrared light measured by James Webb come from?  ;)     

From the star itself.

Simply apply Occam's Razor.

We know that there is a star there.

We do not know that there is a planet there.

In fact: 

Webb has not captured any images of the planet.

The simplest explanation is that all characteristics observed are characteristics exhibited by the star itself.

Edited by Ell
  • Thanks 1