Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nepal imposes ban on mountain trekking without a guide

Still Waters

Independent trekking is about to be banned from Nepal’s protected mountain regions and national parks, in a move designed to boost employment and increase safety for tourists visiting the country’s Himalayan range.

From April all foreign trekkers, whether solo or in a group, must be accompanied by a licensed guide. The announcement was made by the Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) in early March, and applies to cyclists as well as hikers.

Visitors will need to source their guides though trekking agencies registered with Taan (Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal), a group representing more than 2,000 government-approved trekking and mountaineering guiding companies.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/mar/30/nepal-imposes-ban-on-mountain-trekking-without-a-guide

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hope there are laws introduced to protect Sherpas from neglect and abuse during such trips as well.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I hope there are laws introduced to protect Sherpas from neglect and abuse during such trips as well.

You make them sound like pets  :lol:

10 hours ago, and-then said:

You make them sound like pets  :lol:

Not my intention.  Sherpas are often treated worse than pets in any case.