Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moths are more efficient pollinators than bees, shows new research

Still Waters

Amid widespread concern about the decline of wild pollinating insects like bees and butterflies, University of Sussex researchers have discovered that moths are particularly vital pollinators for nature.

Studying 10 sites in the South East of England throughout July 2021, the Sussex researchers found that 83% of insect visits to bramble flowers were made during the day. While the moths made fewer visits during the shorter summer nights, notching up only 15% of the visits, they were able to pollinate the flowers more quickly.

As a result, the researchers concluded that moths are more efficient pollinators than day-flying insects such as bees, which are traditionally thought of as "hard-working." While day-flying insects have more time available to transfer pollen, moths were making an important contribution during the short hours of darkness.

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-moths-efficient-pollinators-bees.html

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• SHaYap

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that makes natural bee honey no longer superior to factory produced flower scented sugar syrups too, I'll wait for the moths to come up with some natural honey substitute before I give up on the bees... 

~