Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we still be wearing Fur in 21st Century?

Guest Lottie

Guest Lottie

Debate suggestion by Jessicalawes11.

The Fur trade is growing again. Should we in the 21st century still be wearing fur?

Looking for two debators. Both participants will each post one introductory post, five body posts and one conclusion.

This debate is potentially a very sensitive one to many people, so be respectful, no flaming and no graphic images please.

Any problems feel free to PM Dis or myself.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Lottie

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• about

• TooFarGone

I will definitely sign up for this, I feel very strongly about wearing fur. I debate AGAINST wearing fur!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Lottie

Okay, we have lift off! Thanks both of you for getting involved.

Jeremy Rumbolt will be debating For wearing fur.

Galor will be debating against wearing fur.

The debate will consist of an introduction, 5 bodily posts showing countering of the opponent, good style, persuasive arguments and information relevant to the topic, and a conclusion. Remember to quote your sources, no flaming or offensive langauage. Also please do not post any images that people may find upsetting, remembering this is a sensitive debate.

Also please try try to keep to the time limts of the rules which are 7 days per post. If for any reason this is not possible during the course of the debate please let myself or disinterested know.

Any questions, we are just a PM away.

Edited by Lottie

w00t! After 3 weeks of waiting original.gif

Intro *Drum roll please*

For centuries, mankind has worn fur, may it be as a fashion statement, or for warmth and comfort. But, in this day and age, where ridiculously real looking synthetic fur and comfy coats can be made easily and cheaply, do we still need to wear fur? The answer is so simple. No! Of course we don't? What's the point of wearing fur today? Its not necessary, and better, more humane alternatives are readily available. I, myself, cannot think of a single reason as to why we should don fur on our bodies. Its a cruel, stupid*, bloody trade that's completely unnecessary. Theres just no point!

Ok, Im ready to dive into this one.....

Why where fur? This has been sparking a furious debate for the past few years with organisations such PETA and Greenpeace strongly opposing it. To a certain extent, I agree, fur shouldnt be worn. I mean, killing a family of bears to cover the interior of your Mercedes is pointless. But, in many cases, I agree with it.

Im a proud Newfoundlander. The seal fishery has been a proud part of our heritage. It has been a way of life, a source of income, and has been forged into our culture. It dates back far before the 20th century, when Inuit, and other Native groups hunted seal, bear and moose to survive. They used fur to survie. And in some places now, these furs are still used as clothing....be it as mitts, or as a warm hat. Its a part of our heritage, and as long as done moderatly, it should continue to happen.

Jeremy

w00t.gifwacko.gif

Body Post 'Un'

Ok, Im ready to dive into this one.....

Why where fur? This has been sparking a furious debate for the past few years with organisations such PETA and Greenpeace strongly opposing it. To a certain extent, I agree, fur shouldnt be worn. I mean, killing a family of bears to cover the interior of your Mercedes is pointless. But, in many cases, I agree with it.

Im a proud Newfoundlander. The seal fishery has been a proud part of our heritage. It has been a way of life, a source of income, and has been forged into our culture. It dates back far before the 20th century, when Inuit, and other Native groups hunted seal, bear and moose to survive. They used fur to survie. And in some places now, these furs are still used as clothing....be it as mitts, or as a warm hat. Its a part of our heritage, and as long as done moderatly, it should continue to happen.

Jeremy

cool.gif A patriotic/traditional aproach

Well, that was back then. Those Inuits and other Natives needed, required fur to survive. Without they wouldn't of been able to contain their body warmth and would've died out.

But, today, do they need it? No. They're are countless alternatives, so whats the point? You also mention that its a part of Newfoundlands heritage, and that as long as it isn't done too much, it should be allowed to continue.

IMHO,IRL,and in this debate, I think it shouldn't be allowed to continue. Do you know of the cruelty involved? "It takes 40 'stupid' animals to make one fur coat"* Do you really think that 'in moderation' it should be allowed to continue? Put yourself in the place of one of the animals bred for their fur. Kept in cages most of their life, then slaughtered for 'fashion'. It's a cruel barbaric act, kept alive only by some peoples thirst for 'authentic' fur. Why can't we look back on the fur-trade as we look back on, for example, cannibalism?

*LYNX org poster

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh.I didnt know my last post was that long ago.

But, today, do they need it? No.

Great point, but in many cases(and for various reasons) the hunt must go on. Northern Labrador is a very, very poor place. Not only does the fur provide a cheap alternative for clothes, but at the same time, provides a cheaper food source, and a great source of income. For example, my cousin is a trapper. If he catches a couger or lynx with a good quality fur, it could easly get him $100 dollars or more. Fora place where money can be scarce, this is a great income. Also, when these animals are fairly common, the impact to the environment isnt that large.

I know this is a debate and it shouldn't be emotional...but that post disgusts me angry.gif I feel like I'm going to throw up! mad.gif

Body Post II

Northern Labrador is a very, very poor place. Not only does the fur provide a cheap alternative for clothes,

Fur isn't cheap, its very expensive.

provides a cheaper food source,

omg...I think I'm gonna barf...I'm not even going to answer that >.<

For example, my cousin is a trapper. If he catches a couger or lynx with a good quality fur, it could easly get him $100 dollars or more.

angry.gif <("Does your cousin understand how much pain he is causing? That disgusts me so much. I don't think I have the patience to explain it to you, but I'll try. You see, these cougars and lynxs have lifes. And they have a rigth to live their life, just as we humans have a right to live our lives. I know this may sound mediocré, but put yourself in they're position. You're a mother of 5-6 cubs, and you're out hunting for food for you and your children, when suddenly *SNAP!* your leg has been caught in a trap. So you stand there, trapped and in extreme agony, for 4-48 hours, depending on where you are, and then finally the trapper comes along, frees you, kills you and skins you. The fate of your children is obvious. And this is all for $100. I recommend that your cousin stops his job, gets a new, more humane job, and stops killing cougars and lynxs. The money that he earns is blood money, reliant on deaths.

I'm not ignorant. I realise that it must be hard to earn money for him in Northern Labrador...but he should never, EVER turn to a job like that. This is just one example of why the fur trade shoudl stop. The ridiculous amount of cruelty involved. And its all UNECCESARY!")

Also, when these animals are fairly common, the impact to the environment isnt that large.

Maybe not as big an impact to teh environment. But these aren't humans, they don't care about their species surviving, just themselves and the ones they love come to no harm.

Yes, they do have emotions.

Again, I have to say, that post sickened me angry.gif It just angers me that people can be so thoughtless!