Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aboriginal knowledge upends debate on mysterious fairy circles

UM-Bot

It does not provide a cause for the fairy circles.

They are caused, as I have asserted elsewhere, by microcirculation of air. (Similar to Rayleigh-Bénard convection.)

I have heard that before and termites sounds plausible. The one that happened in my yard was definitely a ring of mushrooms though so i am pretty sure the bare patch was mycelium. Maybe that is what you mean rather than microcirculation? Don't think the ground has blood flow...

Edited by Nicolette

Microcirculation of air in the absence of wind: a small patch of ground is heated, the hot air sucks the moisture out of the ground, rises, cools down, drops down to the ground, depositing its moisture, enabling plants to grow in the ring of slightly wetter ground, flows to the center of the patch again, gets heated - and repeat, Over the years the bare patch gradually grows in size.

The insects just happen to prefer the conditions below the patch and take up residence there.

8 minutes ago, Ell said:

Microcirculation of air in the absence of wind: a small patch of ground is heated, the hot air sucks the moisture out of the ground, rises, cools down, drops down to the ground, depositing its moisture, enabling plants to grow in the ring of slightly wetter ground, flows to the center of the patch again, gets heated - and repeat, Over the years the bare patch gradually grows in size.

The insects just happen to prefer the conditions below the patch and take up residence there.

I was a Greenkeeper on bowling greens for 30 years and these would appear from time to time. This is on a large flat area with good, even drainage and extremely short grass. Spraying with fungicide would eradicate the fairy ring.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, openozy said:

bowling greens

Such fungus or toadstool fairy rings are well understood. The desert fairy rings are not caused by a fungus.

• Like 1