Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Train carrying hazardous materials derails in rural Maine, residents warned to 'stay clear'

Grim Reaper 6

A train has reportedly derailed in the state of Maine and officials say they believe hazardous materials were on board. "Train derailment with fire north of RockWood, hazzard materials please stay clear!" The Rockwood, Maine Fire & Rescue posted on FacebookSaturday. The Fire & Rescue team posted a photo of the incident that shows a derailed train and a fire burning in a snow covered forest area. Rockwood Fire & Rescue did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Fox News Digital.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/train-carrying-hazardous-materials-derails-in-rural-maine-residents-warned-to-stay-clear/ar-AA19Umg8?cvid=e72cdffb69274a62a7524819cda4b1de&ei=31

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I give it a week, and then we’re told that their bright green water is “perfectly safe”. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I suppose train is the best way to transport these materials. Certainly safer than truck. But what is up with all these derailments we're hearing about? Or is it just that they never made news like this before?

It sounds like this railroad company is Canadian and most are American so I wonder about the safety protocols and how different they are in the two countries. Does Canada regulate the track or does the US since it's on this side of the border? It just sounds like this kind of stuff is happening a whole lot lately.

I hope everyone up there will be alright. That far up it's pretty much all woods but there's little towns. Not a big population area but a lot of wildlife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/train-hazardous-materials-derails-rural-maine-98609727

Several cars on a freight train derailed and caught fire early Saturday in rural Maine, officials and the train operator said. Three workers were hurt, but their injuries were said not to be life-threatening.

The Maine Forest Service said in a statement that three locomotive engines and six cars carrying lumber and electrical wiring went off the track at about 8:30 a.m. in Sandwich Academy Grant Township in Somerset County.

They derailed into a wooded area and started a small forest fire, which emergency responders contained and were monitoring, the service said. The three railroad employees were taken to the hospital.

Preliminary assessment pointed to a buildup of “melting ice and debris that washed out part of the railroad track” as a possible cause of the accident, the Forest Service added.

Some hazardous materials were on board the train, the agency said, but officials on the scene assessed that they were not at risk of leaking or catching fire.

C. Doniele Carlson, the director of communications for Canadian Pacific Kansas City, also confirmed the derailment about 15 miles (24 kilometers) east of Jackman and said the hazardous elements of the train's cargo were not involved in the fire.

“Our emergency response teams and hazardous materials experts have responded and continue to conduct a full assessment of the situation,” Carlson said in a statement. “There are no evacuations and no threat to public safety.”

Edited by susieice

More diversity, guys/gals/guygals with "2+2 ain't 4" will solve the problem...

Hey, with so many illegals in US, employ them to check every track joint/connection before train comes.

How many trains does that make now where hazardous material has been spilled?

7 hours ago, susieice said:

I suppose train is the best way to transport these materials. Certainly safer than truck. But what is up with all these derailments we're hearing about? Or is it just that they never made news like this before?

It sounds like this railroad company is Canadian and most are American so I wonder about the safety protocols and how different they are in the two countries. Does Canada regulate the track or does the US since it's on this side of the border? It just sounds like this kind of stuff is happening a whole lot lately.

I hope everyone up there will be alright. That far up it's pretty much all woods but there's little towns. Not a big population area but a lot of wildlife.

If you look up rail derailments, you find there are an average of 1700 per year taken from 2021 back to 1990.   Most are not serious so I think we are unaware how many there are every day.  Only once in a while it is a fatality or a hazardous spill, then it makes the news.  I am  sure the NTSB and railroads are doing something, but normally it seems to gain little interest in Congress.  Some buzz words blaming opponents then promising a fix that rarely happens 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If you look up rail derailments, you find there are an average of 1700 per year taken from 2021 back to 1990.   Most are not serious so I think we are unaware how many there are every day.  Only once in a while it is a fatality or a hazardous spill, then it makes the news.  I am  sure the NTSB and railroads are doing something, but normally it seems to gain little interest in Congress.  Some buzz words blaming opponents then promising a fix that rarely happens 

According to the bureau’s recent data on train derailments: Derailments resulted in 21 injuries and no deaths in 2019. Derailments caused 28 injuries and no deaths in 2020. And derailments resulted in 83 injuries and three deaths in 2021.https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2023/why-train-derailments-this-month/#:~:text=According to the bureau’s recent data on train,in 83 injuries and three deaths in 2021.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

According to the bureau’s recent data on train derailments: Derailments resulted in 21 injuries and no deaths in 2019. Derailments caused 28 injuries and no deaths in 2020. And derailments resulted in 83 injuries and three deaths in 2021.https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2023/why-train-derailments-this-month/#:~:text=According to the bureau’s recent data on train,in 83 injuries and three deaths in 2021.

Well I guess even the ones resulting in injury or death don't often make more than the news either?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Well I guess even the ones resulting in injury or death don't often make more than the news either?

Most do get reported I say 95%. My area has many trains and we report them all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Most do get reported I say 95%. My area has many trains and we report them all the time.

Could be I am just not paying attention.  Thanks, I will raise my awareness.

22 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I give it a week, and then we’re told that their bright green water is “perfectly safe”. 

Michelle was nice enough to start this thread regarding water:

Remember boys and girls- economic factors>public safety.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:40 PM, bmk1245 said:

More diversity, guys/gals/guygals with "2+2 ain't 4" will solve the problem...

Hey, with so many illegals in US, employ them to check every track joint/connection before train comes.

I can't imagine why no one takes anything you say seriously...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Michelle was nice enough to start this thread regarding water:

Remember boys and girls- economic factors>public safety.

It doesn't sound like you even read the entire article. Probably doesn't matter. Democrats and Republicans alike can mostly all agree on this one issue, but of course Gromdor knows more than all of them put together.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Michelle said:

It doesn't sound like you even read the entire article. Probably doesn't matter. Democrats and Republicans alike can mostly all agree on this one issue, but of course Gromdor knows more than all of them put together.

Knows more?  I am agreeing with them.  If you read the article it even mentions that regulating ditches (like the ones next to railroads) hampers economic activity.

Morrisey said. "It's a decades-long effort by the EPA to regulate purely intrastate waters without the explicit consent of lawmakers. It creates unneeded delays and costs for farmers, contractors, ranchers and anyone who cares about economic activity."-from your article.

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Knows more?  I am agreeing with them.  If you read the article it even mentions that regulating ditches (like the ones next to railroads) hampers economic activity.

My apologies. I'm so used to your snide comments it's hard to tell which is which.

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

My apologies. I'm so used to your snide comments it's hard to tell which is which.

Ooh, I like that. An apology and an insult in the same breath.

Just now, Gromdor said:

Ooh, I like that. An apology and an insult in the same breath.

Not an insult...a fact.

12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Not an insult...a fact.

Well, being snide requires a bit of intelligence and wit.... So I'll take it as a compliment.