Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Amelia Earhart really eaten by giant crabs?

Still Waters

Amelia Earhart is remembered today for various reasons. She is one of the most prominent figures in aviation history for her trailblazing accomplishments as a female pilot – not to mention being the first woman to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean. But today Earhart is mostly remembered for her mysterious disappearance after she set off on her global flight in July 1937. Ever since then, speculation has been rife as to what happened to her, but one idea has consistently clawed its way back into popular imagination over the last decade – was Amelia Earhart eaten by crabs?

https://www.iflscience.com/was-amelia-earhart-really-eaten-by-giant-crabs-68581

• Like 5

Amelia Earhart, her co-pilot and her plane are currently lying under 16,000 feet of water.

I imagine she was eaten by all sorts of things down there, not just crabs.

• Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Tom1200 said:

Oh CHRIST.  Her again?  Nobody cares.  Next story please.

You cared enough to comment. 

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2023 at 10:34 AM, Antigonos said:

Amelia Earhart, her co-pilot and her plane are currently lying under 16,000 feet of water.

I imagine she was eaten by all sorts of things down there, not just crabs.

Unless they crashed / ditched near an isolated atoll. 

1 hour ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Unless they crashed / ditched near an isolated atoll. 

If that had been the case, the massive air/sea rescue operations launched in the wake of her disappearance would have found them.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

You cared enough to comment. 

Begging for torture to stop isn't the same as caring.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, Tom1200 said:

Oh CHRIST.  Her again?  Nobody cares.  Next story please.

You might not care but it's pretty silly to say nobody cares considering this case still captivates millions of people around the world. It's kinda self centered to assume that just because you don't find it interesting, nobody does 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Billyf said:

You might not care but it's pretty silly to say nobody cares considering this case still captivates millions of people around the world. It's kinda self centered to assume that just because you don't find it interesting, nobody does 

Okay, maybe not nobody, but millions?  I very much doubt that. 

And captivated?  By what?  A non-story about someone who crashed her plane into the ocean 80-something years ago leaving no trace.  Now some incredibly pointless speculation about her body being eaten by crabs.  Why not 'plucked from the air by a kraken and swept down to its watery lair', or kidnapped by a UFO?  Some nonsense like that would be far more exciting and equally irrelevant, and just as impossible to prove or disprove.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

Okay, maybe not nobody, but millions?  I very much doubt that

Considering that they are still making documentaries, writing articles and featuring the story on numerous shows, I would say millions is probably an accurate estimate. 

It doesn't interest you, I get that but the fact that it's still discussed all these years later proves that it's pretty interesting to a very large number of people.

3 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

Now some incredibly pointless speculation about her body being eaten by crabs.  Why not 'plucked from the air by a kraken and swept down to its watery lair', or kidnapped by a UFO?

Because it's a plausible explanation for why her remains were never found. I'm not saying that I believe that's what happened. I think they probably ran out of fuel and went down in the Pacific but it is possible that they managed to land on one of the many small islands or atolls in the area and if that's the case, it's actually a pretty likely scenario that their remains were eaten by crabs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Billyf said:

It is possible that they managed to land on one of the many small islands or atolls in the area and if that's the case, it's actually a pretty likely scenario that their remains were eaten by crabs.

Okay, I accept your point that it's not impossible.  So: come up with some way of testing that hypothesis and I'll take a bit of interest.  Otherwise it's pure speculation, and we could generate a dozen equally likely scenarios if the main criterion is the fringe standard of 'we don't really need evidence; (in fact - no evidence is evidence of a cover-up)'.

Here's some suggestions for evidence I would accept (in a vague order of increasing desperation).  I'm sure the millions of people still captivated by this story have many other ideas as well, and you're welcome to share those here.

• Maybe a native observed her fate and recorded their observations?
  • Perhaps bones exist with tell-tale signs of crab damage?  DNA should be able to prove identity.
  • Maybe there's blood splatter that could realistically only have been created by crab attack?  (I've been re-watching Dexter recently.)
  • Perhaps certain human proteins endure through eighty years of crab-eats-crab Pacific Ocean politics?  Could they be isolated and traced back to a particular individual?
  • Crabs keep diaries of what and who they eat.
Edited by Tom1200
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...