Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Schmidt index - which insect has the most painful sting ?

UM-Bot

Tested the bullet ant on my left foot in central america, was a bit like an hornet sting, but sting for 3-4 hours non stop. Got muscular spasm in my leg for 2 hours.

Looked in my crocs before each use after that.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

According to Coyote Peterson, it's the Executioner Wasp.  But, he also said that he felt like the giant centipede's bite was even worse than that. 

• Like 3

He sounds like a creative sort.  His descriptions are hilarious:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/scroller-schmidt-painscale/#11

I'm thinking you have to be at least a bit of a masochist to do this though ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The article ends by saying not too many people will be doing a follow up to Dr. Schmidt's book anytime soon, well, The Kings of Pain have been doing a pretty good follow up on TV and it's pretty entertaining. I think they've been bitten and stung by things that Justin Schmidt was never bitten or stung by.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, HSlim said:

According to Coyote Peterson, it's the Executioner Wasp.  But, he also said that he felt like the giant centipede's bite was even worse than that. 

I just watched Coyote's "Stung by Tarantula Hawk Wasp" video. Also explains what the wasp does to (tarantula) prey. Its similar to the movie Alien. Hopefully I'll sleep tonight.

• Like 1

The worst I've had was some sort of tree ant in Barbados. It dropped onto my sunlounger and got me on the back of the leg. Extreme, burning pain that lasted about an hour. Nothing like as bad as the ones on this list though!

13 hours ago, and-then said:

He sounds like a creative sort.  His descriptions are hilarious:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/scroller-schmidt-painscale/#11

I'm thinking you have to be at least a bit of a masochist to do this though ;) 

yes did make me laugh, for example he says one felt like being chained inside an active volcano, or the other having a 3inch nail in your foot walking over hot coals............both of which we have all experienced so we are familiar with the pain (comparison) he is describing lol

• Like 1

A few have said the Japanese Giant Hornet is the worst. Executioner Wasp has bad rep along with bullet ant. Coyote Peterson is a bit of a fraud though. He was purposely acting to make the stings look more dramatic. Keep in mind that there is a tribe in Costa Rica that puts dozens of bullet ants in gloves and takes the stings for 10 minutes a right of passage for manhood. So Coyote is flopping around on ground from one sting while 14 year olds wear gloves with bullets ants in them taking several dozen stings in their hands for 10 minutes....
  • Thanks 1

The worst I've experienced is the Carolina Polistes or more commonly known as Red Wasp. Those from the south know those things pack a serious punch.