Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bakhmut apparently has fallen

Unusual Tournament

Wagner claims Bakhmut captured, Kyiv says fighting ongoing

Russia's private army Wagner claimed Saturday the total control of the east Ukrainian city of Bakhmut, the epicentre of fighting, as Kyiv said the battle was continuing, while admitting the situation was "critical".

https://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wagner-claims-bakhmut-captured-kyiv-says-fighting-ongoing/news-story/19bb4bb9ed6296fbdebbdfde38d42e85?amp

…it seems our own media isn’t as free as we thought.

Zelensky hasn’t come home since the drone attack on the Kremlin, so his fund/weaponry raising activities produce results, I guess it will take the Ukrainians a week or so to claim a “strategic withdrawal”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unusual Tournament said:

…it seems our own media isn’t as free as we thought.

Zelensky hasn’t come home since the drone attack on the Kremlin, so his fund/weaponry raising activities produce results, I guess it will take the Ukrainians a week or so to claim a “strategic withdrawal”

It took a week for Ukraine to admit that Soledar was captured by Wagner even though it was widespread news at the time. I think the outcome of the fight for Bakhmut was sealed some time ago from a strategic standpoint and I believe the U.S military even advised Ukraine to switch it's focus away from it.

Edited by Occult1
  • Like 1

"Bakhmut apparently has fallen"

Again??? man, one of these times it might be right.:lol:

I'll wait for a better source than a lying, murderous mercenary before I believe that claim.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Trelane said:

I'll wait for a better source than a lying, murderous mercenary before I believe that claim.

He was right about Soledar though.

2 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

He was right about Soledar though.

Irrelevant in this instance. He's made several claims like this about Bakhmut for over two months. Wrong every single time.

Keep the receipt, I ain't buying it.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 4

Just now, Trelane said:

Irrelevant in this instance. he's made several claims like this for over two months.

Keep the receipt, I ain't buying it.

Last time he said Bakhmut was "legally taken", it was confirmed by ISW that they had reached the city centre and captured the administration building. He is a liar but not all the time. 

• Haha 4

Vladimir Putin has congratulated the Wagner assault detachments, as well as all the servicemen of the Russian Armed Forces units, who provided them with the necessary support and flank cover, on the completion of the operation to liberate Artemovsk,”

Gossip suggests Wagner is moving its best units into Sudan and other hotspots in an attempt to salvage what’s left of the utter decimation that has occurred to its units in taking Bakhmut.

Credit where credit is due. Not bad for a private outfit

Rumour has it Wagner will change its name to the ‘musicians’ or the shovels

image.thumb.jpeg.f393108fdd733a4f57e8953793d2d616.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

Last time he said Bakhmut was "legally taken", it was confirmed by ISW that they had reached the city centre and captured the administration building. He is a liar but not all the time. 

The moment Wagner and Russian artillery took the centre of the city, Bakhmut technically fell, six weeks ago. It’s been an orderly retreat since then for the Ukrainians. 

On a side note: The Russians seem to be digging in WW1 style in areas they’re not willingly to move forward and slow forwarding where they wish to be. 

The Ukrainian forces are equally strong and refusing to take the Russian bait and get involved in mud melees. Bakhmut was designed as a meat grinder and the next one is being prepared for the Russians. 

…oh and just in case you question how in control the Russians have been in Bakhmut, Bakhmut has fallen on the same day as Mariupol, exactly one year to the day

Edited by Unusual Tournament

If there is still fivhging then it is not over, the Ukraine has still taken ground to the south so will have to wsit and see if Wsgner gets cut off amd trspped in Bakhmut

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trelane said:

"Bakhmut apparently has fallen"

Again??? man, one of these times it might be right.:lol:

I'll wait for a better source than a lying, murderous mercenary unprofessional joke before I believe that claim.

Fixed it. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ah yes, words.

Words, words, words... words.

Well, I'm convinced.  what's on telly then?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

…oh and just in case you question how in control the Russians have been in Bakhmut, Bakhmut has fallen on the same day as Mariupol, exactly one year to the day

Isn’t Mariupol back in Ukrainian hands?

• Like 2

According to some sources, yes, Bakhmut has fallen.  But ultimately so what?  It was never strategically important.  What Bakhmut was, was a site that the Russians wanted for propaganda purposes, so that on May 9th, they could point to a victory.   But May 9th came with the most lackluster parade on record in Red Square.  The price Russia paid for Bakhmut was far too high, and may be up to 100,000 deaths now, while Ukraine lost a tiny fraction of that, and is now seeking to offset the loss by taking ground back from the exhausted Russian forces in the area.  Ukraine is presently sawing away at Russia's salients without much resistance, and will likely recapture Bakhmut quite soon, assuming Bakhmut is actually lost.

• Like 3

Didn’t Wagner claim Bakhmut a few weeks ago by placing a Russian flag on a random public building?

Zelensky: Russia does not hold Bakhmut

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Grey Area said:

Didn’t Wagner claim Bakhmut a few weeks ago by placing a Russian flag on a random public building?

Zelensky: Russia does not hold Bakhmut

Russia has been claiming to have captured Bakhmut almost daily for the last 10 months afaik.

• Like 6

It appears that the Russians have in fact finally taken Bakhmut. I'll admit I was wrong and miscalculated the Russians desire to continue to push and expend lives, equipment and munitions to take this objective.

"Zelensky Signals Bakhmut Falling, Russian Casualties High"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-21/zelenskiy-says-bakhmut-fell-but-with-high-russian-casualties?srnd=premium&leadSource=uverify wall

It's a significant tactical move for Russia in breaking a quagmire that has eviscerated their available troop ranks and depleted their equipment and munitions stores. It still appears the Ukrainians used this as an opportunity to conduct shaping operations on the strategic level. It'll be interesting to see how the next several weeks play out.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2

Zelensky compares Bakhmut destruction to Hiroshima

(CNN)- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky compared the damage in Bakhmut to the destruction wrought on Hiroshima after it was hit by an atomic bomb, as he denied Russia had captured the frontline city.

Zelensky – who traveled to Japan for a meeting of the Group of Seven (G7) – said pictures of Hiroshima “really remind” him of Bakhmut and other Ukrainian towns.

“Just the same, nothing alive left, all of the buildings have been ruined,” Zelensky told a news conference.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/21/europe/hiroshima-bakhmut-zelensky-g7-intl/index.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Occult1 said:

Zelensky compares Bakhmut destruction to Hiroshima

(CNN)- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky compared the damage in Bakhmut to the destruction wrought on Hiroshima after it was hit by an atomic bomb, as he denied Russia had captured the frontline city.

Zelensky – who traveled to Japan for a meeting of the Group of Seven (G7) – said pictures of Hiroshima “really remind” him of Bakhmut and other Ukrainian towns.

“Just the same, nothing alive left, all of the buildings have been ruined,” Zelensky told a news conference.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/21/europe/hiroshima-bakhmut-zelensky-g7-intl/index.html

It's not really a city even anymore. Absolutely destroyed.

Putin is a piece of ****

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Isn’t Mariupol back in Ukrainian hands?

No. The Ukrainians did strike Mariupol recently. 

• Thanks 1

Biden claims Russia lost 100,000 men in taking Bakhmut.