Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did Isaac Newton believe that the world would end in 2060 ?


UM-Bot

Recommended Posts

 

John Napier calculated 1688, then revised it to 1700. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make no predictions about when this age of human government will end.  I don't believe we'll make it until 2060 though.  If what we are experiencing today is the "shape of things to come" then it will be a relief to see someone wipe the game board and start over...

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since mankind has had the ability to communicate they have predicted the 'end of world'.

Here's a list

So far 0 accuracy.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, esoteric_toad said:

Since mankind has had the ability to communicate they have predicted the 'end of world'.

Here's a list

So far 0 accuracy.

Not sure how I managed to mess up that link.

Here is the correct one: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_predictions_of_the_end_of_the_world

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, and-then said:

I make no predictions about when this age of human government will end.  I don't believe we'll make it until 2060 though.  If what we are experiencing today is the "shape of things to come" then it will be a relief to see someone wipe the game board and start over...

Take a good advice: unplug yourself from the matrix. A single day lived without politics inside your brain is worth years of waiting for the world to end.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Take a good advice: unplug yourself from the matrix. A single day lived without politics inside your brain is worth years of waiting for the world to end.

That's good advice and I plan to try that this summer.  One certainty is that things won't improve from here.  It's become depressingly repetitive at this point.  I don't really "wait on the world to end" as an occupation :)  I just have faith that the predictions of Christ's return are going to prove true in the not too distant future.  Until then, life goes on as usual.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, and-then said:

That's good advice and I plan to try that this summer.  One certainty is that things won't improve from here.  It's become depressingly repetitive at this point.  I don't really "wait on the world to end" as an occupation :)  I just have faith that the predictions of Christ's return are going to prove true in the not too distant future.  Until then, life goes on as usual.

Certainly one should stay informed of the world, but too much negative information overload can cause issues. The brain is wired to pay more attention to negative information as it triggers an instinctual fight or flight response meaning we are more likely to dwell on negative info (NI) which taken to far can lead to feelings of anxiety, stress and depression, it can create feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, it can inspire one to start to feel like there is nothing they can do to change the situation and perhaps even in some cases behave in ways that are harmful to self and others. It can be overwhelming and exhausting and all consuming perhaps causing one to ignore other aspects of their lives. I am a caregiver (person centered care) and watching the news all day is a big no no due to the overwhelming negative effects on the patients well being. 
 

Just my two cents offered with compassionate intent,  I think it is a good goal on your end to put some limits on politics, and in your case, the Jesus construct you have adopted might be a positive to help you put down some personal boundaries where you observe a problem to your own well being and self care. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chaldon said:

Take a good advice: unplug yourself from the matrix. A single day lived without politics inside your brain is worth years of waiting for the world to end.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've not owned or watch a brainwashing machine (TV) for 20 years. Nor have I ever followed news online. Not seeing a single ad on any of my devices ever is just the cream on top. The freedom this give comes out nicely when you talk to someone plugged in deep. "...so hopelessly dependant on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know why he put a date on the end but I predict that the world will end eventually. All the mystical times are delusional without any basis in fact. Science indicates sometime far in the future barring a random or as of yet unseen event. It's a shame that so many brilliant people in the past based their calculations on mystical events instead of reality.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newton was a religious person from what I remember reading.

Imo, it's possible that he may have logically speculated and foreseen that future weapons augmented by rapidly developing science and technology, would be capable of inflicting heavy casualties of an unprecedented level, and thereby wipe out huge sections of humanity. This speculation may have led him to give such a prophesy back then.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Newton was a religious person from what I remember reading.

Imo, it's possible that he may have logically speculated and foreseen that future weapons augmented by rapidly developing science and technology, would be capable of inflicting heavy casualties of an unprecedented level, and thereby wipe out huge sections of humanity. This speculation may have led him to give such a prophesy back then.

He was into the occult and Bible codes or math, which was common at the time. He also suffered a nervous breakdown hinting at a bit of mental issues.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
5 hours ago, Piney said:

He was into the occult and Bible codes or math, which was common at the time. He also suffered a nervous breakdown hinting at a bit of mental issues.

His occult studies, voluminous but unpublished during his lifetime, consisted primarily of Alchemical work.  Some see this study as precursor to Chemistry as a scientific discipline, though it isn't apparently a simple correlation.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, esoteric_toad said:

Since mankind has had the ability to communicate they have predicted the 'end of world'.

Here's a list

So far 0 accuracy.

Sure looks that way…but, they only gotta be right  once!*

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2023 at 11:41 AM, Piney said:

John Napier calculated 1688, then revised it to 1700. 

was he right?

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isaac Newton along with Leonardo Da Vinci predicts 2070 through a global flood, they're not the only ones predicting the end times are closer than one thinks, and 2023 has a lot of signs we have to watch for to indicate the end is near.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.