Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South Carolina governor signs six-week abortion ban

OverSword

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) on Thursday signed into law a ban on abortions after an ultrasound detects any cardiac activity, which is typically at about six weeks, before most women know they are pregnant. 

The law marks a significant setback for abortion-rights advocates in the state. Prior to this measure, abortions were legal in South Carolina until 22 weeks, though a lack of access and other restrictions often prevented women from getting abortions after 12 weeks in the state. 

Link

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I'm generally against abortion, but have an issue with a six week ban.  I don't think it is enough time.  

I feel like 12 to 16 weeks would be more appropriate.  Conservatives pushing for a total ban or these short windows like six weeks are not helping strengthen conservatives positions imho.

• Like 3

3 steps forward, 5 back.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Edumakated said:

I'm generally against abortion, but have an issue with a six week ban.  I don't think it is enough time.  

I feel like 12 to 16 weeks would be more appropriate.  Conservatives pushing for a total ban or these short windows like six weeks are not helping strengthen conservatives positions imho.

Yeah, 6 weeks is too soon IMO. It means one missed period, might not have had enough time to schedule or get that doctor’s appointment and ultrasound to see what’s the deal. 9 weeks maybe? You could think of it as a baby rule of nines - nine months to give birth, nine weeks to get an abortion. 
Also means you’ve be allowed time to consider that … well you ARE destroying what is potentially a viable human being. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yeah, 6 weeks is too soon IMO. It means one missed period, might not have had enough time to schedule or get that doctor’s appointment and ultrasound to see what’s the deal. 9 weeks maybe? You could think of it as a baby rule of nines - nine months to give birth, nine weeks to get an abortion. 
Also means you’ve be allowed time to consider that … well you ARE destroying what is potentially a viable human being. 

Yeah, you men go ahead and discuss what you think is how it works.  That's always a bad sign, that someone who will never have the issue come up gets to  make the decision about how those who do handle it.   6 weeks, 9 weeks, you all don't know jack about it, not how long it takes for some women to realize there's a change, not how long it takes to process and make a decision, whether there is support for the woman and/or the child, ......    But no, you all don't give a damn about the child once it's born, nor the woman who has to bear the child as long as she does things your way.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, you men go ahead and discuss what you think is how it works.  That's always a bad sign, that someone who will never have the issue come up gets to  make the decision about how those who do handle it.   6 weeks, 9 weeks, you all don't know jack about it, not how long it takes for some women to realize there's a change, not how long it takes to process and make a decision, whether there is support for the woman and/or the child, ......    But no, you all don't give a damn about the child once it's born, nor the woman who has to bear the child as long as she does things your way.   

How strange … I thought men WERE involved in the conception of a child and should also be involved in the raising of the child. 
Silly me. My deepest apologies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

How strange … I thought men WERE involved in the conception of a child and should also be involved in the raising of the child. 

The discussion is about abortion by men making assumptions about women and their circumstances.   Has any man on this forum or  involved in the decisions made by legislators  asked women what they think or how they feel?   The governor of South Carolina is getting the credit but that person can't make the decision without the support of the state legislature.   He signed it but he didn't draft it.   And so far I am the only woman in this particular conversation on this forum.    Only 17.6 % of the seats in the South Carolina state legislature are women, so it seems if they spoke up they were not heard.

https://www.wbtw.com/news/politics/south-carolina-breaks-record-for-women-in-politics-still-ranked-near-bottom-in-nation/

COLUMBIA, SC (WBTW) — 2021 is a record-breaking year for women in South Carolina politics, with 17.6% of seats in the state legislature held by women. 

Despite that, the state continues to rank as one of the worst in the nation for women’s representation in elected politics, coming in at 46th, according to the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University. Of 46 members of the state Senate, five are women. In the House, 25 of the 124 representatives are women.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

All this anti-abortion, anti-women legislation is going to bring women out in droves for the 2024 election.

Doug

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I'm thinking at least 12 weeks.

20 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

All this anti-abortion, anti-women legislation is going to bring women out in droves for the 2024 election.

Doug

And yet when you see pro life demonstrations most of the demonstrators are women.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The discussion is about abortion by men making assumptions about women and their circumstances.   Has any man on this forum or  involved in the decisions made by legislators  asked women what they think or how they feel?   The governor of South Carolina is getting the credit but that person can't make the decision without the support of the state legislature.   He signed it but he didn't draft it.   And so far I am the only woman in this particular conversation on this forum.    Only 17.6 % of the seats in the South Carolina state legislature are women, so it seems if they spoke up they were not heard.

https://www.wbtw.com/news/politics/south-carolina-breaks-record-for-women-in-politics-still-ranked-near-bottom-in-nation/

COLUMBIA, SC (WBTW) — 2021 is a record-breaking year for women in South Carolina politics, with 17.6% of seats in the state legislature held by women. 

Despite that, the state continues to rank as one of the worst in the nation for women’s representation in elected politics, coming in at 46th, according to the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University. Of 46 members of the state Senate, five are women. In the House, 25 of the 124 representatives are women.

There’s only been ten posts - you, me, Duck, Doug, Oversword and Ed. 1 to 5 is roughly the ratio of men to women in this forum. 

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And yet when you see pro life demonstrations most of the demonstrators are women.

How many men participate in these demonstrations - either pro or con?

Doug

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

There’s only been ten posts - you, me, Duck, Doug, Oversword and Ed. 1 to 5 is roughly the ratio of men to women in this forum. 

That's fine, my original response was to you and Ed.   And I guess you wanted to deflect my observation by pretending like you are hurt.   

12 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

How many men participate in these demonstrations - either pro or con?

Doug

At the rallies I've seen men are outnumbered two to one.  My point is that not all women are going to vote for a pro choice candidate.  There is a reason why there is not more outrage about the new abortion laws in certain states and why pro life candidates are elected there.  One thing is certain there is nothing close to consensus in the nation about this issue. 

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That's fine, my original response was to you and Ed.   And I guess you wanted to deflect my observation by pretending like you are hurt.   

No, I wanted to deflect your observation by being an anal attentive berk.

• Haha 1

Personally, I could never imagine not wanting a child or pregnancy.   That being said, I have never been in a position of an unwanted pregnancy, alone and scared.   I have counseled many over the years, held their hands while they cried and did not know what to do.  If a woman is going to abort her pregnancy, I agree that 6 weeks is not long enough, most don't know until they are further along.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Until your perineum has a 50/50 chance of being ripped in half which is what birth does to women, you can keep your opinions to yourself. Hey let's make that a thing! If someone wants to force a woman to carry a baby she doesn't want, let's flip a coin and tails you get yours ripped. Fair is fair. 

• Haha 2

Why six weeks? If your political party is against it, why not zero weeks, and no abortion pill? 

South Carolina Republicans are cowards … just like their Daddy.

Ahhh... the part of 'small government' legislating others bodies again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

Until your perineum has a 50/50 chance of being ripped in half which is what birth does to women, you can keep your opinions to yourself. Hey let's make that a thing! If someone wants to force a woman to carry a baby she doesn't want, let's flip a coin and tails you get yours ripped. Fair is fair. 

Here’s a thought - takes two people to make a baby, so with the exception of the obvious (rape) reason, let’s have the potential human’s father have a voice in their fate. Let’s make THAT a thing. Fair’s fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Here’s a thought - takes two people to make a baby, so with the exception of the obvious (rape) reason, let’s have the potential human’s father have a voice in their fate. Let’s make THAT a thing. Fair’s fair. 

So you agree to a coin toss perineum tear?! Great! Add that the US has a 60 year high maternal death rate, let's make it interesting and for every guy foisting his opinion on a womans reproductive choices add a 32.9% chance per 100,000 birth lottery where you could die? And a 4 in 10 chance of  permanent incontinence! This'll be fun!

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Nice cop out. Here's a question for you. With all this legislation against abortion and the various punishments that accompany an infraction, why is it only the woman gets punished, and the guy  who supported her decision walks away Scott free? Fair's fair.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Nice cop out. Here's a question for you. With all this legislation against abortion and the various punishments that accompany an infraction, why is it only the woman gets punished, and the guy  who supported her decision walks away Scott free? Fair's fair.

Because men made the laws. And yeah, fair’s fair - kill a born baby and you going to gaol, support someone in killing a born baby and you’re going to gaol. If abortion’s illegal, both parties need to face charges.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

So you agree to a coin toss perineum tear?! Great! Add that the US has a 60 year high maternal death rate, let's make it interesting and for every guy foisting his opinion on a womans reproductive choices add a 32.9% chance per 100,000 birth lottery where you could die? And a 4 in 10 chance of  permanent incontinence! This'll be fun!

Why the hell not? 
It might mean fewer ONS babies.

Meh, the people of SC elected these people. They are getting what they wished for. 

People who don't like it... Canada is that way. 

Seriously though, my self being a red voter in a blue state, one has to understand that you're not going to get your way, basically ever, so you live with it or you move.

Voting against the stupid even sometimes works if there's enough independents who agree the stupid is stupid.

Basically SC has an abortion law now, live with it, vote out the Rs, or move.

• Like 1