Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mississippi boy, 11, shot by officer after calling police

Eldorado

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

When someone calls the police, they are summoning lethal force to  their location.  Police are being called into violence and are prepared to do violence.  What's more, they are plunged into the situation with little situational awareness of what is going on, who is the victim and who is  the aggressor.  It is not unheard of that the victim or the 911 caller is the focus of the police response.  Something to consider and prepare for if a person is going to make that call.

Yeah, we don't know all the details.  Domestic violence calls are the worst for police.  It is definitely tragic, but I am hesitant to say it is anything other than an unfortunate accident.

I always try to see how cops would see events unfolding.  You never want to put yourself or the officer in a situation where they are feeling threatened.  These guys want to make it home to their families.  I recall my burglar alarm went off shortly after I left my house.  I returned home and saw cops had showed up.  I made sure to just hang back until they finished looking over the yard and my house before I approached them.  I didn't want to scare or startle them while they were investigating the call.  They don't know me, nor were they expecting me to show up.  Just had my ID ready and approached in a calm normal manner.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Edumakated said:

Yeah, we don't know all the details.  Domestic violence calls are the worst for police.  It is definitely tragic, but I am hesitant to say it is anything other than an unfortunate accident.

I always try to see how cops would see events unfolding.  You never want to put yourself or the officer in a situation where they are feeling threatened.  These guys want to make it home to their families.  I recall my burglar alarm went off shortly after I left my house.  I returned home and saw cops had showed up.  I made sure to just hang back until they finished looking over the yard and my house before I approached them.  I didn't want to scare or startle them while they were investigating the call.  They don't know me, nor were they expecting me to show up.  Just had my ID ready and approached in a calm normal manner.

Well that is good advice and I had similar advice from a long time friend and ICE officer. 

You can certainly see it from the police perspective, people walking into a violent situation who want to get back to their families.  I don't think it can all be laid to poor training or substandard officers even though our recruiting and training procedures may be less than desirable.

Police do not enter into a violent situation to serve and protect, they go in to enforce the law and stop the violence.  It is a win for them if they all come back alive and have stopped the violence even if they take out a bystander  or victim.

Be aware of the purpose of the police before you call them.

Now you can throw up your hands and offer thoughts and prayers and claim it is the price of freedom, but that will not change the past or diminish future incidents.

Every child from the time they can walk needs to be trained that if they are in a space where law enforcement arrives, the safest thing to do is lay down on the ground face down with open hands spread above their heads. No running, no sudden movements, no appearances from around a corner, stop and drop in place.  Its another level of active shooter drill that applies away from the classroom.    In this case, the cops are the active shooters.  I don't mean that as an attack on police, just an observation of fact. 

Just a cost that goes along with the structure of our society.

• Like 1

Time to start upping the IQ level for recruiting new cops. Better training also.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, Tatetopa said:

Every child from the time they can walk needs to be trained that if they are in a space where law enforcement arrives, the safest thing to do is lay down on the ground face down with open hands spread above their heads. No running, no sudden movements, no appearances from around a corner, stop and drop in place.  

What a sad indictment of American society. You could be describing a third world police state. 

Governance by fear. 

• Like 2

I read he is out of the hospital. Hope he recovers well both physically and hopefully mentally. Poor kid. 

On 5/26/2023 at 2:28 AM, pellinore said:

One of the saddest things is that we know without clicking on the link that the kid is going to be black.

So I have been watching a lot of police corruption and brutality videos the last few weeks. I really don’t think race has much to do with it. Most cops are just lunatic's. I’ve watched them taze, shoot, and or beat the living hell out of every race in this country. Many many examples of each. 

It’s so strange really. On one hand these same men will dive into a lake to rescue people in a sinking car. Then the next night, find an excuse to violate the civil rights of a driver with zero criminal record, destroy their car, and beat the hell out of the driver for protesting. 

And the ignorance of actual law, and civilian rights from these officers is baffling. Even after losing several lawsuits. Instead of being fired, they get promoted. 

Edited by preacherman76

5 hours ago, Arbenol said:

What a sad indictment of American society. You could be describing a third world police state. 

Governance by fear. 

Yes. Lots of scary stuff in the world, but we seem to be our own worst enemy, a danger to ourselves.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So I have been watching a lot of police corruption and brutality videos the last few weeks. I really don’t think race has much to do with it. Most cops are just lunatic's. I’ve watched them taze, shoot, and or beat the living hell out of every race in this country. Many many examples of each. 

It’s so strange really. On one hand these same men will dive into a lake to rescue people in a sinking car. Then the next night, find an excuse to violate the civil rights of a driver with zero criminal record, destroy their car, and beat the hell out of the driver for protesting. 

And the ignorance of actual law, and civilian rights from these officers is baffling. Even after losing several lawsuits. Instead of being fired, they get promoted. 

Like all other jobs, we have a shortage of police officers.  We also have a shortage or border patrol, military, armed school guards, etc.  The people that we do have aren't going to be the best, which is a shame because when it really matters and lives are on the line, they are falling short.

17 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Like all other jobs, we have a shortage of police officers.  We also have a shortage or border patrol, military, armed school guards, etc.  The people that we do have aren't going to be the best, which is a shame because when it really matters and lives are on the line, they are falling short.

Yep. My nephew recently became a Marine. They were spending time on this army base. He overheard a conversation where this army soldiers Mom called the drill instructor to complain her son wasn’t getting enough time to eat. This was during their basic training. The guy actually listened to her, and changed the way he was doing things with meals. 

Like really???

Terrifying interview….  

This cop was trigger happy.

These Mississippi “peace officers” act like they’re in Falluja, Iraq, or Kandahar, Afghanistan. 

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 2

Interview with the boy. He had a collapsed lung and lacerated liver. He is little too, cannot see how any police would see him as a threat. 

• Like 1