Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former Irish nuns reveal accounts of brainwashing and abuse

Eldorado

Speaking to my mother, as well as to five other nuns and former nuns for my PhD research, gave me a glimpse into a way of life which no longer exists. Their often heartbreaking narratives paint a picture of a repressive and damaging regime which emphasised self-sacrifice and unquestioning obedience and where suffering and “breaking the spirit” supposedly brought you closer to heaven.

For many who left the convent, the years of “grooming”, “mind control” and “infantilisation” made adjusting to secular life a significant challenge – mentally, socially, emotionally and financially. Few were supported in this transition.

The image of the “evil nun” has become almost a caricature in recent years, particularly in Ireland, where the fallout from decades of abuse scandals has left a deep scar, radically changing perceptions of the Catholic church. These women’s stories offer an insider’s perspective of life within the convent walls and hopefully provide a more nuanced view of just what it was like to wear the habit and then, eventually, to cast it aside.

https://theconversation.com/they-just-ignored-my-tears-they-ignored-my-unhappiness-former-irish-nuns-reveal-accounts-of-brainwashing-and-abuse-197569

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

It is a pretty sad time in history when the Catholic Church is consistently proven to be morally inferior to the official Church of Satan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1