Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US school district apologises for using Winnie The Pooh in mass shootings safety book

Still Waters

A Dallas school district has apologised after distributing a Winnie The Pooh-themed book about school shootings.

The book is titled Stay Safe: Run, Hide, Fight and its cover says: "If there is danger, let Winnie the Pooh and his crew show you what to do."

Inside, it includes passages such as: "If danger is near, do not fear. Hide like Pooh does until the police appear. Doors should be locked and the passage blocked. Turn off the light to stay out of sight."

California's governor, Gavin Newsom, was among those who criticised the book, posting on Twitter: "Winnie the Pooh is now teaching Texas kids about active shooters because the elected officials do not have the courage to keep our kids safe and pass common sense gun safety laws."

https://news.sky.com/story/winnie-the-pooh-characters-used-in-us-school-districts-mass-shootings-safety-book-12891280

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Why do they need to apologize for?  It's an age appropriate way to explain precautions for a very real threat/hazard.  

According to the story linked in the OP, the apology was for sending the booklet home without preparing parents to use it with their children.

Unfortunately, we did not provide parents [with] any guide or context. We apologise for the confusion and are thankful to parents who reached out to assist us in being better partners.

3 minutes ago, kartikg said:

I thought they were sorry for using copyright infringement of Winnie the pooh. 

Winnie the Pooh and other characters are in the public domain in the United States.

https://news.temple.edu/news/2022-01-24/winnie-pooh-and-hundreds-other-works-are-now-public-domain

• Like 8

Just now, eight bits said:

According to the story linked in the OP, the apology was for sending the booklet home without preparing parents to use it with their children.

Winnie the Pooh and other characters are in the public domain in the United States.

https://news.temple.edu/news/2022-01-24/winnie-pooh-and-hundreds-other-works-are-now-public-domain

Lol. Parents cant be expected to know how to explain a child's booklet if they don't get a head up from the school I guess :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, kartikg said:

I thought they were sorry for using copyright infringement of Winnie the pooh. 

Nah think Winnie the Pooh no longer has copywriting... that's how they recently made a horror movie with Pooh.

• Like 3

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Lol. Parents cant be expected to know how to explain a child's booklet if they don't get a head up from the school I guess :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the booklet. The district seems to acknowledge that they were contacted by confused parents, and the article quotes a parent having some trouble with the "mismatch" between bedtime story material and live-fire survival tactics.

I can't say whether or not the booklet itself is a good idea, but based on the description, it does seem a lot to absorb. Just from the description, the advice is summed up as "run, hide, and fight." I get the run and hide part, but it isn't obvious where "fight" comes in for schoolchildren up against a shooter. (Then again, it is Texas, so maybe the kids are packing, too.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I get the run and hide part, but it isn't obvious where "fight" comes in for schoolchildren up against a shooter. (Then again, it is Texas, so maybe the kids are packing, too.)

Under 5's are especially suited to "take out" a school shooter, apparently.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

Then again, it is Texas, so maybe the kids are packing, too.

Nah.  Remember, schools are a guaranteed gun-free zone... until the crazy shows up.  Until an effort is made to harden schools with armed security and single access points, the dying will continue.  The fact that rarely do we see any school willing to do this tells me that there is a significant element that do not want to even try to do anything about it because they want the tragedies to use the emotion to push gun control.  That is never going to save a single child - AND THEY KNOW IT.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, and-then said:

Nah.  Remember, schools are a guaranteed gun-free zone... until the crazy shows up.  Until an effort is made to harden schools with armed security and single access points, the dying will continue.  The fact that rarely do we see any school willing to do this tells me that there is a significant element that do not want to even try to do anything about it because they want the tragedies to use the emotion to push gun control.  That is never going to save a single child - AND THEY KNOW IT.

Alas, you have been misinformed.  Texas had your idea as a law before Uvalde: Texas governor signs bill allowing more armed teachers | AP News after the Sante Fe High School shooting: 2018 Santa Fe High School shooting - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

And out of their next to nonxexistant budget will schools find funds for that?

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Hi Sir

Smith and Wesson or other manufacturers, they could build fite ranges in every school and create gun training as well as a retail outlet store to sell guns, bullets and vests.:lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Alas, you have been misinformed.  Texas had your idea as a law before Uvalde: Texas governor signs bill allowing more armed teachers | AP News after the Sante Fe High School shooting: 2018 Santa Fe High School shooting - Wikipedia

Right, because a single example proves a point.  It is NOT being tried on a scale that will matter.  Even then, school shootings will continue because like the Trans killer in Nashville, shooters will find the targets that are easiest.  "Do what you always did, get what you always GOT"

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It cannot happen without federal funding.  The fact that Congress refuses to deal with the issue proves that no majority really wants to stand up and even TRY a solution beyond using the issue for votes.  It is disgusting.

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

And it will end with a curious kid shooting himself up or another student with an unattended gun left by a teacher...

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Inside, it includes passages such as: "If danger is near, do not fear. Hide like Pooh does until the police appear. Doors should be locked and the passage blocked. Turn off the light to stay out of sight."

children will take this in & hopefully act accordingly.. what else can you do in such a disturbing situation that happens so quickly without warning?.. i think it was a good idea- still. what do i know

3 hours ago, and-then said:

Or just limit the availablity and ease of purchaing weapons. Simple sulition, but you're too thick headed to accpet it. Each dead kid is no doubt a blessing to you. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

AT is misinformed???!!!! Perish the thought!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, and-then said:

So the best idea we have is turning schools into prisons. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A Dallas school district has apologised after distributing a Winnie The Pooh-themed book about school shootings.

This is a grave insult to the leader of the Chinese Communist Party!  How typical of the decadent US and A to insinuate that the CCP is behind school shootings :lol:

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 1

What about this? Seems like a great idea to me. No longer need a bunch of guns in schools, and no need force kids to be st

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

What about this? Seems like a great idea to me. No longer need a bunch of guns in schools, and no need force kids to be st

How long do you suppose that acoustical tile ceiling would hold out? How much space is above it? We don't even see the floor. The ventilation is outside the box?

enclosure.jpg.d3f1f2756879caf67dcf3389c2251d4f.jpg

I make it 10 seconds for that trained adult to deploy, with neither furniture nor panicky children in the way. Take out the real-life adult, and then this gets deployed by whom?

As I recall some of the news stories, many of the perps planned their attacks. This contraption seems more like a tactical puzzle to solve than an effective countermeasure. IMO, as always.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1