Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Legend Of Congo's 15-Meter Snake Is Cryptozoology's Most Ludicrous Tale

Still Waters

There’s a strange story that often does the rounds on internet forums and podcasts, which speaks of a giant 15-meter (50-foot) snake that lurks in the depths of Central Africa, prone to lurch out of the jungle and strike passing helicopters if it feels threatened. Like many tales of cryptozoology, it’s almost certainly nonsense, but it’s a hell of a story. 

Remy Van Lierde, a Belgian Air Force Colonel who served in World War Two, made the claim in 1980 during an interview with the British TV show Mysterious World, hosted by renowned sci-fi writer Arthur C Clarke.

https://www.iflscience.com/legend-of-congos-15-meter-snake-is-cryptozoologys-most-ludicrous-tale-69165

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A height measured visibly is not only reliable data. But a 15m snake I can find that possible. The Reticulated Python can measure up to 10m (But it is only found in East Asia).

I think he really saw something, either it was really a big snake or he misjudged its size with the altitude. 

Much less ludicrous than bigfoot. :tsu:

Edited by TheGoldenBoy
  • Like 2

I wouldn't call it the most ludicrous by any means. I've heard some pretty far out there cryptid stories, and a 50ft snake seems to be more plausible than sheepsquatch.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mysterious World is a great series, and the sea monster episode is a favorite.  The proposition of a 15m snake isn't that outlandish, and assuming he is misjudging the size due to his altitude and activity, it's perhaps unlikely to have been an African rock python.

On 5/31/2023 at 7:11 AM, Still Waters said:

There’s a strange story that often does the rounds on internet forums and podcasts, which speaks of a giant 15-meter (50-foot) snake that lurks in the depths of Central Africa, prone to lurch out of the jungle and strike passing helicopters if it feels threatened. Like many tales of cryptozoology, it’s almost certainly nonsense, but it’s a hell of a story. 

Remy Van Lierde, a Belgian Air Force Colonel who served in World War Two, made the claim in 1980 during an interview with the British TV show Mysterious World, hosted by renowned sci-fi writer Arthur C Clarke.

https://www.iflscience.com/legend-of-congos-15-meter-snake-is-cryptozoologys-most-ludicrous-tale-69165

Titanoboa cerrejonensis was about that size and Gigantophis garstini was about 10m in fossil record. 

15m is a long shot...but overevaluation is something that happen often.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool photograph, but it made me wonder how much food a 15-meter snake would have to consume to grow to that size.

There was a Mr. America bodybuilding contestant at a gym in Utah where I used to work out. He was probably just under 2 meters tall. A part of his daily diet was consuming two entire chickens every day. Imagine how much more a creature of 15 meters would need to consume. 

The prehistoric titanoboa was about that size.  Now, thinking laterally, what if this giant snake species, whatever it is, actually accounts for a number of different cryptids?

On 6/21/2023 at 9:48 AM, Jon the frog said:

Titanoboa cerrejonensis was about that size and Gigantophis garstini was about 10m in fossil record. 

15m is a long shot...but overevaluation is something that happen often.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/179716-in-search-of-giant-snakes/#comment-3367043

On 6/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, Cho Jinn said:

Mysterious World is a great series, and the sea monster episode is a favorite.  The proposition of a 15m snake isn't that outlandish, and assuming he is misjudging the size due to his altitude and activity, it's perhaps unlikely to have been an African rock python.

“Monsters of the Deep” is my favorite episode too. I can rewatch those shows over and over. Arthur C.Clarke was a fantastic host.  As a kid it was Mysterious World and In Search Of that stimulated my interest in unsolved mysteries. Though a lot of information is out of date or the mysteries themselves solved, I still love to rewatch them.

If you’re interested, the two best books on cryptozoology IMO were written by Bernard Heuvelmans. On the Track of Unknown Animals devotes a chapter to reports of unusually large snakes, and In the Wake of the Sea Serpents is still the most voluminous book on unknown sea creatures to date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, Cho Jinn said:

The proposition of a 15m snake isn't that outlandish, and assuming he is misjudging the size due to his altitude and activity, it's perhaps unlikely to have been an African rock python.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Antigonos said:

“Monsters of the Deep” is my favorite episode too. I can rewatch those shows over and over. Arthur C.Clarke was a fantastic host.  As a kid it was Mysterious World and In Search Of that stimulated my interest in unsolved mysteries. Though a lot of information is out of date or the mysteries themselves solved, I still love to rewatch them.

If you’re interested, the two best books on cryptozoology IMO were written by Bernard Heuvelmans. On the Track of Unknown Animals devotes a chapter to reports of unusually large snakes, and In the Wake of the Sea Serpents is still the most voluminous book on unknown sea creatures to date. 

I have them both, and old first (English) editions at that.  I can't imagine how long it took him to compile In the Wake of Sea Serpents.

• Like 1