Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK factories blame 16th month in a row of falling exports on Brexit

pellinore

British factories have reported a 16th consecutive month of falling exports, with manufacturers warning obstacles to trade since leaving the EU are undermining business relationships with firms on the continent.

The manufacturing sector contracted for a 10th consecutive month in May, dragged down by steady falls in exports over the last 16 months, according to the S&P Global/CIPS purchasing managers index (PMI).

Exporters blamed factors including a loss of orders to the US and mainland Europe, and an increasing number of EU clients switching to more local sourcing to avoid the customs barriers, paperwork and delays involved in exporting goods from the UK.

UK factories blame 16th month in a row of falling exports on Brexit barriers | Brexit | The Guardian

Edited by pellinore

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the rest of the worlds economies being at some level of recession.  No, no.  It's Brexit :lol:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the rest of the worlds economies being at some level of recession.  No, no.  It's Brexit :lol:

Do you think UK manufacturers know less about their industry than you do? Do you really think they haven't noticed Covid, the Ukraine war, supply chain issues and global markets? 

“With powerful domestic manufacturing policies in place in the US and the EU, manufacturers can see that the likelihood of much export expansion to the UK’s biggest manufactured goods trading partners is dwindling,” it said.

Their comments underlined criticism from Summers earlier in the day. He singled out Britain’s departure from the EU as a factor for higher costs, criticising the UK’s economic policy as “substantially flawed for some years”.

Brexit “reduced the competitiveness of the UK economy, put downwards pressure on the pound and upwards pressure on prices, limited imports of goods and limited in some ways the supply of labour,” Summers told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

12 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Do you think UK manufacturers know less about their industry than you do?

I think I know your leftist media sources better than you do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pellinore said:

Do you think UK manufacturers know less about their industry than you do? Do you really think they haven't noticed Covid, the Ukraine war, supply chain issues and global markets? 

“With powerful domestic manufacturing policies in place in the US and the EU, manufacturers can see that the likelihood of much export expansion to the UK’s biggest manufactured goods trading partners is dwindling,” it said.

Their comments underlined criticism from Summers earlier in the day. He singled out Britain’s departure from the EU as a factor for higher costs, criticising the UK’s economic policy as “substantially flawed for some years”.

Brexit “reduced the competitiveness of the UK economy, put downwards pressure on the pound and upwards pressure on prices, limited imports of goods and limited in some ways the supply of labour,” Summers told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

I came into this topic, I read your name, and I already knew what it was going to be about.

A 16th consecutive month of manufacturing shrinkage although unlike many in the EU we avoided a recession.  My God, did you see the EU legislation on fossil fuels since the Russian sanctions began? Luckily we left so they didn`t get it to dictated to us what we do with Brent Crude, to save them.

Oh expensive energy? Don`t worry it doesn`t shrink energy intensive manufacturing or anything. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

I think I know your leftist media sources better than you do.

3 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

I came into this topic, I read your name, and I already knew what it was going to be about.

A 16th consecutive month of manufacturing shrinkage although unlike many in the EU we avoided a recession.  My God, did you see the EU legislation on fossil fuels since the Russian sanctions began? Luckily we left so they didn`t get it to dictated to us what we do with Brent Crude, to save them.

Oh expensive energy? Don`t worry it doesn`t shrink energy intensive manufacturing or anything. 

Lol! I just flag up interesting news about Brexit, as it is the biggest disaster the UK is facing atm, the fact that it is always bad news isn't my fault. Most posters on UM flag up things that are either of general interest or about their favourite hobby horse. I think Brexit is fascinating, because it is self-inflicted economic and political self harm on a scale normally only seen in war time.

I also get a bit of wry amusement whenever the consequences become clear and they are so obviously the opposite of what Brexiters want, the most amusing being that Brexit has led to a huge increase in immigration ( a huge increase, like double legal immigration and ten times illegal immigration) and often people from Muslim countries- yet because Brexiters feel they can't admit Brexit was a mistake, they say it was what they wanted all along and they knew what they were voting for! And saying "all countries are in the same boat" is missing the point that economists and politicians know that all countries are facing economic problems, they are not missing some salient facts only know to UM posters!

This sums up the disaster we are facing in the UK: 

Edited by pellinore

9 hours ago, pellinore said:

I just flag up interesting news about Brexit, as it is the biggest disaster the UK is facing atm

That's not the opinion according to the poll in this section.  Did you vote?