Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia says it thwarted major Ukrainian offensive

Occult1

Russia's defence ministry says it has thwarted a major Ukrainian offensive and killed 250 Ukrainian troops.

There has been no comment from Kyiv and the Russian claim has not been independently verified.

The ministry said Ukraine had launched the offensive in the Donetsk region on Sunday using six mechanised and two tank battalions.

[...]

"On the morning of 4 June, the enemy launched a large-scale offensive in five sectors of the front in the South Donetsk direction," the Russian defence ministry said on Telegram.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65806152

• Thanks 1

In other claims… I stopped a Dalek Invasion using a roll of cling wrap and two mangoes.

• Haha 6

46 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

In other claims… I stopped a Dalek Invasion using a roll of cling wrap and two mangoes.

What?! I thought three mangoes were needed... Kudos with two!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I accidentally killed one by mistaking it for the garbage can, and dumping my wife's 3 day leftover meatloaf inside. Poor Dalek never stood a chance.

• Haha 4

How does Putin say Fkkk you? 

"Trust me"

• Like 3

The Russians are dug in and the Ukrainians are attacking. Stands to reason it’s gonna be a hard slog 

7 hours ago, Occult1 said:

Russia's defence ministry says it has thwarted a major Ukrainian offensive and killed 250 Ukrainian troops.

There has been no comment from Kyiv and the Russian claim has not been independently verified.

The ministry said Ukraine had launched the offensive in the Donetsk region on Sunday using six mechanised and two tank battalions.

[...]

"On the morning of 4 June, the enemy launched a large-scale offensive in five sectors of the front in the South Donetsk direction," the Russian defence ministry said on Telegram.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65806152

Winter is over, so is spring, and nearly summer, too. I’m interested to see when this supposed invasion is ever gonna start

ucraina-1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Winter is over, so is spring, and nearly summer, too. I’m interested to see when this supposed invasion is ever gonna start

What invasion? Muscovites already fighting in Belgorod county.

UAF will liberate lands when ready.

If true, the losses are depressing, but it is just a prelude to the counteroffensive. I think we can expect a few probes of the defensives before the counter-offensive gets under way. It staggers me that the Russians are so shameless about causing further bloodshed, if it is true-  they have no business with their military in Ukraine. If the Kremlin believes it has any legitimate claim to territory dating back to the break-up of the Soviet Union is should have been raised in the UN, not through warfare.

Ukraine war: 'Offensive actions' under way in east, Kyiv says

Ukrainian forces are "shifting to offensive actions" in some areas, the country's Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Malyar has said.

Ukrainian military sources told the BBC that a series of small scale armoured offensive operations are under way.

Earlier, Russia's defence ministry said it thwarted a major Ukrainian attack in Donetsk.

Ms Malyar described the eastern city of Bakhmut as the "epicentre of hostilities", and claimed Russian forces were on the defence there as well as in the south.''

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65813560

Looks like the Ukrainian counteroffensive has truly begun.

Edited by Occult1

Putin gets furious when he hears about Russia's failures - ONET

Russian dictator Vladimir Putin has stopped listening to any criticism from the Kremlin about the war with Ukraine. The President of the Russian Federation immediately becomes angry, and then accuses the one who reports to him that he "fell under the influence of Western propaganda" and "brings confusion."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

Ukrainian forces are 'probing' but speculations remain over whether counteroffensive has begun

Experts we've spoken to have pointed to a range of military engagements right along the 1,000 km long frontier suggesting that at this moment the Ukrainians are probing.

They're looking for weaknesses in Russian defences but haven't begun the counteroffensive properly. 

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-latest-russia-counteroffensive-wagner-bakhmut-putin-12541713?postid=6011893#liveblog-body

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

Ukraine war: 'Offensive actions' under way in east, Kyiv says

Ukrainian forces are "shifting to offensive actions" in some areas, the country's Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Malyar has said.

Ukrainian military sources told the BBC that a series of small scale armoured offensive operations are under way.

Earlier, Russia's defence ministry said it thwarted a major Ukrainian attack in Donetsk.

Ms Malyar described the eastern city of Bakhmut as the "epicentre of hostilities", and claimed Russian forces were on the defence there as well as in the south.''

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65813560

And just for the fun:

Wagner captures Russian commander as Prigozhin feud with army escalates

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/05/wagner-group-release-video-of-captured-russian-commander

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Occult1 said:

Congratulations.  I guess we are done now.  Be sure to let us know if anything more happens.   Are you anxious to return to civilian life? 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, kartikg said:

Zelensky recently stated that their will be many casualties in counteroffensive 

They will need to throw a lot of manpower at the Russian defensive lines if they want to make substantial gains.

Edited by Occult1

5 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

What invasion? Muscovites already fighting in Belgorod county.

UAF will liberate lands when ready.

My mistake. I meant to say counteroffensive. Which from all indications has hit a massive wall of Russian artillery and airpower. The Ukrainians are apparently taking massive loses that are not sustainable in the long run. They have successfully managed to capture some ground but generally very little.

I can find very little good information from Ukrainian sources and Russian sources seem to be more forthcoming, so it’s assumed the Russians are gloating and closer to the truth in this instance.

If the Russian stories are to be believed, then the Ukrainian counteroffensive is dying before it even started. 

22 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

They will need to throw a lot of manpower at the Russian defensive lines if they want to make substantial gains.

Hi Occult

They have a lot more hi-tech equipment thos time so they don't need to match man for man with the Russians. It may be that once the full counter offensive starts that more factions in Russia will begin inciting more civil unrest

29 minutes ago, Occult1 said:

Ukraine will need to be very careful they don’t chew up all their available units and reserves and allow a Russian counterattack.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Without the ability to hit deep into Russia and attack its supply lines and war machine, war is over and demarcation lines are already drawn. 

According to Rybar, a heavy pro-Russian source, in southern Ukraine broke through the Russian defensive lines and liberated Novodonetske with 10 tanks and 40 to 100 infantry.  

There are videos on twitter of a Russian tank getting destroyed by a Ukranian tank at relatively close range during the assault.

The 250 Ukranians killed and multiple tanks lost is seemingly only pushed by the Kremlin as few to none of the Russian military bloggers are talking about it.

• Like 1

It makes sense for Ukraine to launch probing attack at many points along the frontline. That way Russia can't be sure where main attack will come. 

Kinda what they did in the fall at Kharkiv. You probably remember it as the great Russian redeployment.... :whistle:

• Haha 2

Russia says it thwarts another major attack in Ukraine, inflicting heavy losses

YIV (Reuters) - Russia said on Tuesday it had thwarted another major Ukrainian offensive in Donetsk, inflicting heavy losses, while Ukraine hailed progress in fighting in the east, although it was unclear if it marked the start of a long-anticipated Ukrainian counteroffensive.

[...]

The latest Russian defence ministry statement said Russian forces had inflicted huge personnel losses on attacking Ukrainian forces and destroyed 28 tanks, including eight Leopard main battle tanks and 109 armoured vehicles. It said total Ukrainian losses amounted to 1,500 troops.

"Having suffered heavy losses the day before, the Kiev regime reorganized the remnants of the 23rd and 31st mechanized brigades into separate consolidated units, which continued offensive operations," the ministry said on Telegram.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-says-it-thwarts-another-major-attack-in-ukraine-inflicting-heavy-losses/ar-AA1cb5Gd

If accurate, that makes those 'probings' very costly.