Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.N. body condemns torture of Guantánamo prisoner awaiting capital trial

Eldorado

A United Nations human rights panel has issued a damning report that blames the United States and seven other nations for the C.I.A.’s “torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment” of a Saudi prisoner who now awaits a death penalty trial at Guantánamo Bay.

The U.N. Working Group on Arbitrary Detention also named as responsible the United Arab Emirates, where the prisoner, Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, was captured in 2002, and Afghanistan, Lithuania, Morocco, Poland, Romania and Thailand, where he was held as part of a rendition and interrogation program run by the George W. Bush administration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/04/us/politics/un-guantanamo-torture.html

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230605-un-body-faults-us-other-states-over-guantanamo-prisoner-torture

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good, they should not be able to justify torture.   It is sad for the prisoners that have endured it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Good, they should not be able to justify torture.   It is sad for the prisoners that have endured it.

I'm on the fence with that when it comes to those who do it to others.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, if you have proof, ok, but just making it a rule that torture is the way to get information is wrong.   I don't think they are discriminating with the torture practices.   Everyone working at  Guantanamo prison should be rotated out every 6 months so that the culture does not get or stay corrupted.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, if you have proof, ok, but just making it a rule that torture is the way to get information is wrong.   I don't think they are discriminating with the torture practices.   Everyone working at  Guantanamo prison should be rotated out every 6 months so that the culture does not get or stay corrupted.  

Torture for intel doesn't work. Most will lie. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Piney said:

I feel the same.   The articles do not do a good job on telling wether he was guilty for certain of what they claim.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Torture for intel doesn't work. Most will lie. 

Yep, so a lot of people get prosecuted for something they didn't do because they wanted the torture to stop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

A United Nations human rights panel has issued a damning report that blames the United States and seven other nations for the C.I.A.’s “torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment” of a Saudi prisoner who now awaits a death penalty trial at Guantánamo Bay.

I disagree with torture, but I am not reading any specific allegations regarding what was done that would indicate clear evidence of torture.  I mean, a standard jail is pretty inhuman and degrading, and we are dealing with a major terrorist here.

Edited by Alchopwn