Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is our "reality" real?

Crikey

25 minutes ago, lightly said:

I wonder about reality being energy in a spectrum of frequencies so vast that they form a circle which ends where it begins  and , of which we are only capable of experiencing an almost infinitesimally small segment of. ?       Or, maybe not. :lol:

Interesting.  They do call life a circle don't they?  The circle of life?  I was thinking about that in terms of my sunflowers just this morning.  Two years ago pulled a small sunflower up by the roots...put it in a glass of water and took it home.  I planted it by my koi pond and by the end of the summer what started as an insignificant sunflower plant was a towering sunflower tree with dozens and dozens of blooming flowers and about eight feet tall.  Then winter came and of course it died.  Then spring came and there are sunflower plants popping up everywhere.  

This evening I just watched a red wasp drag a spider much larger than it was 20' across the yard to the house, up the side of the brick wall, over two windows and up inside under the wood that covers the brick.

Yesterday I sprayed a couple of cedar trees for bagworms.  Interesting creatures.  The males becomes moths, without mouths, so they cannot eat.  The females live their entire lives in a cocoon bag they create from their silk and the leaves of the cedar tree.   The male moths entire purpose in life is to fertilize the females.  When the females are mature they drop out of their bags and crawl into the ground where they lay about 800 eggs each.  In the spring the cycle restarts.

Did you know that in the winter all of the bumble bees die except the queen?  They all freeze to death.  The female has a unique chemical in her 'blood' that keeps her from freezing. 

Just a few examples of the cycles of life.  The mystery...is that 'spectrum of frequencies' that slowly by slowly, at the dna level, changes the very foundation of the living organism to adapt to an equation for success that the living organism knows nothing about.  :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, Crikey said:

Our human minds haven't the horsepower to understand what God is, but since you've brought up religion, some eastern sects believe reality is simply "maya" (illusion..:)

There's a story of an adherent to such a sect who was seen to dodge out of the way when an elephant charged towards the crowd at a parade, and people jokingly said to him- "Why did you dodge if you think everything is just an illusion?", to which he replied "I only appeared to move"..:)

And a Readers Digest once touched on the nature of reality, quote-

"Our philosophy tutor held up a pencil to the class and said "Write an essay about this pencil".

When the essays were collected, he gave top marks to the student who wrote just two words- "What pencil""..:)

I didn't bring up religion.  You did.  I simply made a comparison  between two questions.  You can play the illusion game all day long and you can pretend that the sharks at the end of the peer are guppies...but at the end of the day, if you dangle your legs in the water off the end of the peer, one of those guppies will bite your foot off.  A sudden and complete reversal of the illusion theory.

The question isn't really, nor has it ever been, is reality real.  The question is, where is reality going?   And ultimately where did it come from?  And is there a real difference between those two answers.  

Did you know that there are more water molecules in one bottle of water, than there would be numbers of water bottles if all of the water on planet earth was bottled up?  Amazing right?  So, consider the number of water molecules in all of the water found on Earth.  At that molecular level it makes the Universe out there in the night sky 'not so big'.  And yet the Earth is just a speck of a water molecule inside the greater Universal bottle.  Which then gives rise to the notion that perhaps the universe is just a speck inside a greater 'universe' and on and on and on.

Reality is where YOU are ...right now.  So really, the question is:  Is your reality real?  Mine is.  I mowed for five hours and ...it was real...actually it was more unreal, the yard is mowed nonetheless.  Five hours!  That's insane.  I rest my case.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, joc said:

I didn't bring up religion.  You did....

Reality is where YOU are ...right now.  So really, the question is:  Is your reality real?  Mine is..

Firstly, you brought religion into this thread in post #4, not moi..:)

Secondly yes I agree with you that our own personal realities are real enough..:)-

Edited by Crikey
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Trelane said:

Sure we do, we made him [God] up.

Sure, it's understandable that cavemen saw lightning bolts and heard thunder and said "Aaargh, there must be somebody or something up there in a bad mood", so they built statues to worship him / it to try to keep it sweet..:)

Eventually God got fed up with their nonsense so he sent a string of prophets and Jesus to set people straight, and poked fun at their "gods"-

rel-Scarecrow.jpg.b247046c93ee2c9ea285f57b95d24b65.jpg

Edited by Crikey

18 hours ago, Trelane said:

I don't think anyone saw that movie [Solaris]. One of George's bombs, before he slid away to do Nescafe commercials.

Solaris is pretty well liked by sci-fi fans, but if people prefer soaps and stuff that's their business..;)

17 hours ago, joc said:

..They do call life a circle don't they?  The circle of life?...

Yes, let me introduce the forum to Henry, one of the mice that must live under my floorboards somewhere, he and his chums and new offspring have been visiting my desktop for years-

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Crikey said:

Sure, it's understandable that cavemen saw lightning bolts and heard thunder and said "Aaargh, there must be somebody or something up there in a bad mood", so they built statues to worship him / it to try to keep it sweet..:)

Eventually God got fed up with their nonsense so he sent a string of prophets and Jesus to set people straight, and poked fun at their "gods"-

rel-Scarecrow.jpg.b247046c93ee2c9ea285f57b95d24b65.jpg

And now we have someone speaking for his imaginary friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Crikey said:

Yes, let me introduce the forum to Henry, one of the mice that must live under my floorboards somewhere, he and his chums and new offspring have been visiting my desktop for years-

You won't think they are so cute when they chew through your wiring and possibly burn the house down. If they have been there for years I doubt Henry would be still alive, just thousands of his disease carrying offspring.:devil:

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2023 at 11:17 AM, openozy said:

You won't think they are so cute when they chew through your wiring and possibly burn the house down. If they have been there for years I doubt Henry would be still alive, just thousands of his disease carrying offspring.:devil:

MOUSE LIVES MATTER..:su

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crikey said:

MOUSE LIVES MATTER..:su

All living thing's lives matter but we have to try to survive here too and you can't let sentiment get in the way or you'll perish.

3 minutes ago, openozy said:

All living thing's lives matter but we have to try to survive here too and you can't let sentiment get in the way or you'll perish.

Hey Jimmy what's your view on rodents?

cagney-guns.jpg.7609b84de8347c5b9a6099eb8c4891fa.jpg

• Haha 1

On the 'reality' topic, our eyes and brain tell us this pic is moving, so is it really moving or not?

illusion-A.jpg.b7200299c7d651fc5c29dd69b24e7d39.jpg

• Like 1

No, it is not moving.   It’s designed as an optical illusion.     ?

This is a fascinating topic.. I think reality is real… our perceptions are limited ? ..so we developed Imagination? :)
..anything real thing we create ,or come to understand, must first be imagined?       (except math;)???

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lightly said:

No, it is not moving.   It’s designed as an optical illusion.     ?

This is a fascinating topic.. I think reality is real… our perceptions are limited ? ..so we developed Imagination? :)
..anything real thing we create ,or come to understand, must first be imagined?       (except math;)???

The picture is actually moving.  When you look directly at the tube that's moving, particles that are moving the tube stop and the other end of the particle wave begins to move so  you now see a different tube moving.  If you stare directly at the Mandelbrot in the center...all motion stops.  This is because the particle wave energy is generated from the Mandelbrot, so when staring directly at it, all of the tube particles become 'particles' in the position of the Mandelbrot, however; when you take your eyes off of the Mandelbrot, the particles are again particles and waves at the same time and the movement resumes.

Now, if this were a video, would you say the tubes are moving are not moving?  Still an optical illusion you say  because if you turn off the video it all stops.  But...how do you 'know' it stops...hmmmmm?

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Edited by Crikey
Baron vid link didnt work at first attempt

What's your take on the reality thing Baron?

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, joc said:

The picture is actually moving.  When you look directly at the tube that's moving, particles that are moving the tube stop and the other end of the particle wave begins to move so  you now see a different tube moving.  If you stare directly at the Mandelbrot in the center...all motion stops.  This is because the particle wave energy is generated from the Mandelbrot, so when staring directly at it, all of the tube particles become 'particles' in the position of the Mandelbrot, however; when you take your eyes off of the Mandelbrot, the particles are again particles and waves at the same time and the movement resumes.

Now, if this were a video, would you say the tubes are moving are not moving?  Still an optical illusion you say  because if you turn off the video it all stops.  But...how do you 'know' it stops...hmmmmm?

^ v >.  “Now, if this were a video, would you say the tubes are moving are not moving?  Still an optical illusion you say  because if you turn off the video it all stops.  But...how do you 'know' it stops...hmmmmm?”

Because things or images not in motion  do not move?   image.jpeg.ebcde7c14fcdaeb68fb0957ab536e137.jpeg

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Crikey said:

On the 'reality' topic, our eyes and brain tell us this pic is moving, so is it really moving or not?

illusion-A.jpg.b7200299c7d651fc5c29dd69b24e7d39.jpg

Hi joc,  I guess I must not understand?    I still have to think and say...  that STILL image is not actually in motion.     Am I wrong?          ..here are several other still images which ,also, seem to move.      ?  

30 Optical Illusions That Will Make Your Brain Hurt | Reader's Digest

image.jpeg.2372f0948f1247056f3aa7e3bae7a403.jpeg

Eerie optical illusion looks like it's moving but there's a trick to make it stop – can you do it?

image.jpeg.6efe7b56f6e61c4a7778299fe2916d59.jpeg

View Amazing Images That Seem to Move - Scientific American

image.jpeg.7833485c12c9e66ad698502854b8e70e.jpeg

These Patterns Move, But It's All an Illusion | Science| Smithsonian Magazine

image.jpeg.ed4c7f98952cf2f200081b3eb6885cb2.jpeg

12 Optical Illusions That Look Like They're Moving

image.jpeg.378df0e6adca58e9adb01075c8fc2663.jpeg

Seven still images that look like they're moving - and how they work | indy100 | indy100

image.jpeg.64a23394b790ccb39196eaa7bb198a16.jpeg

Waterfall illusion: when you see still objects move – and what it tells you about your brain

image.jpeg.0a82537f30c4fc815d30985a460ea4f8.jpeg

The best STILL image moving optical illusions pictures Part 1 - YouTube

image.jpeg.6ed613991b08ff08dbe70b83ef6e6575.jpeg

look closely and it looks like its moving | Optical illusions, Amazing optical illusions, Cool optical illusions

image.jpeg.d5dfa73016062974c30fecab7850660b.jpeg

Seven still images that look like they're moving - and how they work | indy100 | indy100

Seven still images that look like they're moving - and how they work |  indy100 | indy100

20 must-see optical illusions that will blow your mind | Creative Bloq

effects - How are patterns that look like they're moving created? - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

effects - How are patterns that look like they're moving created? - Graphic  Design Stack Exchange
Edited by lightly
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lightly said:

Hi joc,  I guess I must not understand?    I still have to think and say...  that STILL image is not actually in motion.     Am I wrong?          ..here are several other still images which ,also, seem to move.      ?  

30 Optical Illusions That Will Make Your Brain Hurt | Reader's Digest

image.jpeg.2372f0948f1247056f3aa7e3bae7a403.jpeg

Eerie optical illusion looks like it's moving but there's a trick to make it stop – can you do it?

image.jpeg.6efe7b56f6e61c4a7778299fe2916d59.jpeg

View Amazing Images That Seem to Move - Scientific American

image.jpeg.7833485c12c9e66ad698502854b8e70e.jpeg

These Patterns Move, But It's All an Illusion | Science| Smithsonian Magazine

image.jpeg.ed4c7f98952cf2f200081b3eb6885cb2.jpeg

12 Optical Illusions That Look Like They're Moving

image.jpeg.378df0e6adca58e9adb01075c8fc2663.jpeg

image.jpeg.64a23394b790ccb39196eaa7bb198a16.jpeg

Waterfall illusion: when you see still objects move – and what it tells you about your brain

image.jpeg.0a82537f30c4fc815d30985a460ea4f8.jpeg

The best STILL image moving optical illusions pictures Part 1 - YouTube

image.jpeg.6ed613991b08ff08dbe70b83ef6e6575.jpeg

look closely and it looks like its moving | Optical illusions, Amazing optical illusions, Cool optical illusions

image.jpeg.d5dfa73016062974c30fecab7850660b.jpeg

Seven still images that look like they're moving - and how they work |  indy100 | indy100

effects - How are patterns that look like they're moving created? - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

effects - How are patterns that look like they're moving created? - Graphic  Design Stack Exchange

Sometimes, I exhibit a type of humor that only I get.  Technically, the images aren't moving.  It's the same effect as when you sometimes see funky wheels on a car that is traveling fast but the wheels look like they are slowly spinning backwards.  If I turn my back porch ceiling fan, I get the same effect.  There is nothing from my  post to understand.  I was kidding...it is an optical illusion.  The humor is in the particle wave theories...sometimes particles behave as particles and other times they behave as waves...never mind...It's like what Zeno said...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, joc said:

Sometimes, I exhibit a type of humor that only I get.  Technically, the images aren't moving.  It's the same effect as when you sometimes see funky wheels on a car that is traveling fast but the wheels look like they are slowly spinning backwards.  If I turn my back porch ceiling fan, I get the same effect.  There is nothing from my  post to understand.  I was kidding...it is an optical illusion.  The humor is in the particle wave theories...sometimes particles behave as particles and other times they behave as waves...never mind...It's like what Zeno said...

:lol:    I suspected you must have been kidding!*    because I know you are extremely logical..and knowledgeable.    I guess it should have been obvious.. even to me! .. Thanks for clearing up my confusion . .   
         Now ,just for the fun of it, and speaking as a somewhat illogical and un knowledgeable person,  that whole particle/wave thing confuses me too…and I suspect that the idea of  ‘particles’ may one day replaced by the idea of ‘fields’ of energy ….  or , maybe not.  :)    but , for no good reason, I doubt the idea of an electron ‘orbiting’ a nucleus …I think it may be more akin to a vibrating field in the vicinity of the ‘nucleus’.    
    https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/2014/02/07/what-is-the-shape-of-an-electron/

last line from ^ linked info…”Note that when scientists or journalists say "the shape of an electron is round," they are not talking about the literal shape. They are talking about the electric field distribution created by a free electron, which is entirely different from the actual shape.”

image.jpeg.98a94d864a8767c51e35bf39e1cb734e.jpeg
An electron bound in a hydrogen atom takes on various shapes depending on its energy, such as shown here in this physically-accurate mathematical plot. Note that this image shows a single electron. Each of the white spots is one of the peaks of the electron's wavefunction. Public Domain Image, source: Christopher S. Baird.

Edited by lightly

Is reality real? I'm holding a handful of bills in my hand and as I stare at them, intently, they slowly, ever so slowly begin to fade from existence, slowly, slowly almost there and....nope, they're back. :no:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Is reality real? I'm holding a handful of bills in my hand and as I stare at them, intently, they slowly, ever so slowly begin to fade from existence, slowly, slowly almost there and....nope, they're back. :no:

Dang!  So close!    Try it again.   ?

• Haha 1

Why do some feel this insatiable desire to dissect reality? We are born into this world and deal with it just as any other living being must.

It is humans who take reality and try to twist it to fit the warped interpretations of others.

You can pretend, for example, that gravity is fake then act surprised when one ends up with a shattered leg after stepping off a third story window or ripped to shreds while casually strolling through a tiger pit. Reality is reality and no amount of rightly colored mental cellophane is going to change it.

This is one of humanity's major flaws is its refusal to accept that reality will never conform to our desires, wishes and delusions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Why do some feel this insatiable desire to dissect reality? We are born into this world and deal with it just as any other living being must.

It is humans who take reality and try to twist it to fit the warped interpretations of others.

You can pretend, for example, that gravity is fake then act surprised when one ends up with a shattered leg after stepping off a third story window or ripped to shreds while casually strolling through a tiger pit. Reality is reality and no amount of rightly colored mental cellophane is going to change it.

This is one of humanity's major flaws is its refusal to accept that reality will never conform to our desires, wishes and delusions.

People seem to make everything harder than it has to be.  We all know what reality is, but sometimes we get led down a false path...like in a maze...that leads no where or leads to another false path and then we can't find our way back.

Reality is simple really...where ever you are, whatever you are doing...that...is reality.  So, our perceptions of reality are all different, nonetheless, The laws of physics demonstrate that we are  part of an infinite reality (the universe) and that it is all real whether we perceive it or not.  

We can spend our entire lives walking down false paths, when, the truth, is always right there to be had.

Edited by joc
  • Thanks 1