Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is our "reality" real?

Crikey

I am more inclined to believe in non-duality, that we are pure consciousness, possibly even divine, and this reality is an illusion, or at the very least, temporary. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Antivalue said:

I am more inclined to believe in non-duality, that we are pure consciousness, possibly even divine, and this reality is an illusion, or at the very least, temporary. 

If that was true the state the unconsciousness should be impossible.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 5:37 AM, Rlyeh said:

If that was true the state the unconsciousness should be impossible.

Considering those having surgery who are put 'under' by anesthesia...

Exactly!  How can they be 'unconscious' if we are 'pure' consciousness?  That is all Eastern Philosophy stuff, which, just like the bible, makes complete and total sense...as long as one's perception 'stays' within a certain context.  But the universe exists outside of the context of the bible, outside of the context of Eastern Philosophies. 

Not only is there no Universal Consciousness...there isn't even Human Consciousness.  What we have is awareness.  Awareness made possible by being alive with an intact brain.  Put in a very neat little concrete box, every mammal dies from the same thing....lack of oxygen to the brain.  When the brain cannot oxygenate...the awareness goes away.  Nothing...except a corpse with no awareness...no brain, no awareness, no awareness no...c o n s c i o u s n e s s.  Ever.    

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 2:28 AM, Antivalue said:

With this is mind, what makes it any different from solipsism? 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, Crikey said:

God said "I fill heaven and earth" which brings us back to the question "What the heck is he"..:)

Perhaps he's not a person but a "thing" or a "force" like the water in a fish tank and we're the fish swimming around in it-

If I remember correctly, George Lucas "the force" was influenced by Joseph Campbell (The Power of the Myth).

Edited by Bed of chaos

On 6/16/2023 at 5:50 PM, Crikey said:

It's been touched on by a number of films and sci-fi shows like this one..:)-

https://youtu.be/gCgR5mwSgxE

PS- have i posted that vid link alright? Can everybody see the vid okay?

Is our reality real? Smash your big toe with a ball-peen hammer and come back and tell use your conclusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Is our reality real? Smash your big toe with a ball-peen hammer and come back and tell use your conclusion.

Oh great!  thanks a lot Hammer..  I think it’s broken! <_<       

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's pretty much the same thing Samuel Johnson said in the early 1700's.

.The name "appeal to the stone" originates from an argument between Dr. Samuel Johnson and James Boswell over George Berkeley's theory of subjective idealism (known previously as "immaterialism"). Subjective idealism states that reality is dependent on a person's perceptions of the world and that material objects are intertwined with one's perceptions of these material objects.

After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the non-existence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it, "I refute it thus."

— James Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson

Johnson's intent, apparently, was to imply that it was absurd of Berkeley to call such a stone "immaterial," when in fact Johnson could kick it with his foot.

Link

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 2:28 AM,  Antivalue said: 

On 7/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, XenoFish said:

With this is mind, what makes it any different from solipsism? 

… it’s bigger?    ;)

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:50 PM, Crikey said:

It's been touched on by a number of films and sci-fi shows like this one..:)-

https://youtu.be/gCgR5mwSgxE

PS- have i posted that vid link alright? Can everybody see the vid okay?

If you are talking about sensory perception its our brains guess as to whats out there (meaning something is out there).

If you are talking quantum mechanics then yes things are objectively real, but only while information from them is reaching you. Which is utterly weird. One day we will have fun and games once meta-materials are more advanced.

We could create containers and put things in them to behave quantum mechanically.

• Like 1

I think reality is real .   :lol:     but it is not what it looks like?  I mean, if atoms are 99.99999999?%     s p a c e    (which is what? ..areas of varying and overlapping interactive forces?)    …if you touch your index fingertips together ,right in front of your eyes, you are experiencing the objectivity of electromagnetic ,and the resultant, neurological events.  .and the subjectivity of touching your fingertips together!*?   :)

Edited by lightly

I say, run through double slit (many times), see how well you'll end up.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 1:52 AM, Electric Scooter said:

[...]

One day we will have fun and games once meta-materials are more advanced.

[...]

How? How more advanced meta-materials will have fun and games? Better resolution on your screen? How many pixels you can count from the 15 inch screen 2 feet appart from you, huh?

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, bmk1245 said:

I say, run through double slit (many times), see how well you'll end up.

Would a wood chipper do? Asking for a friend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Would a wood chipper do? Asking for a friend. 

I saw that first hand as a rural first responder.

Waaaayyyy too messy. Goop shoots out the front, the chute and the sides. 

It's not like the movies. :o

• Sad 2

I bet Mario & Luigi pondered the same question. :yes:

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Crikey said:

Anybody seen the Clooney sci-fi film 'Solaris' which has reality/ unreality as its central theme?

Spoiler Alert- the planet Solaris conjures up his dead wife for him, she's solid flesh and blood but he knows she's just an unreal copy so he dumps her into space through the airlock. But later the planet conjures her up again but he was so in lurv with his real late wife back on earth that he ignores the fact she's a fake and settles for accepting the fake.

The poor lovesick shmuck begins losing his grip on reality and asks the fake-

This raises the question- How would WE behave if a much-loved relative was conjured up, would we accept the fake? Personally I'd tell the fake to take a hike..:)

Please for the sake of good art, do not watch this hollywood cash grab tripe.

It is a shabby ill made redux of the brilliant original by one of the greatest filmmaker's of history.

Tarkovsky-Solaris.  circa 1972

As for the OP.  No, our reality is not real. 

We do not perceive reality as it abides, we experience the interpretation of the transduced signals that arise in our perceptual apparatus.

The work of Ph.D Donald Hoffman over the last 25ish years has been focused on the process of 'perceptual modeling' and how our perceptions are designed not for accuracy but for survivability. This implies that certain aspects of reality are glossed over, ignored or not even rendered in awareness; while those aspects of reality that increase our survivability are hyper accentuated in awareness.

Naive Realism is the mistaken notion that we perceive reality as it is, in total, with complete accuracy.  This fallacy has been refuted since the time of the Stoics.  Not that this refutation has taken hold however, particularly not in the scientism dogma of the West.  All one needs is to read or watch any news cast (or many of the offerings in conversations on our own board) and see the effects of Naive Realism in action around the world.

We see reality as we interpret it.  Not as it abides.  We each experience reality from the center of our own awareness, hence the plethora of people crying 'fake news' and 'your're insane'. 

I don't blame folks for this, it's incredibly counter-intuitive (not to mention unsettlingly disconcerting) to explore this aspect of our illusory nature of interaction with life.  But the neuro-science (unbounded by dogmatic assumptions) is forging ahead and making strides in revealing just how illusory our perceptions are...  intriguing, since Taoist, Greek and Hindu Cosmology both all embrace this knowledge from experiential process for thousands of years.

Reality arises from and returns to one source.  Call it what you will.  Explore in sincerity any aspect of reality and you will find it links to all others and returns to source.

• Like 1

I think the answer itself is not black and white. If you're asking the question, you have a sense of self/awareness/ego.

https://www.verywellmind.com/does-everyone-have-an-inner-monologue-6831748#:~:text=For example%2C Hurlburt estimates that,parts of their days without

there are human beings who live their entire lives without having an internal monologue or who never ponder a sense of what it is to exist.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, Crikey said:

"Why did you dodge if you think everything is just an illusion?", to which he replied "I only appeared to move"..:)

XD lol

On 6/18/2023 at 11:47 AM, Crikey said:

God said "I fill heaven and earth" which brings us back to the question "What the heck is he"..:)

Read the rest of the book to find out?

10 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Read the rest of the book to find out?

How about this question.  If the Universe is nothing but energy.  If God is nothing but energy.  Why don't we just say, God is the Universe manifesting as us?  Oh yeah...we would call that...The Matrix.  

Or how about this question?  Did mankind make up the God that created the  universe because they started asking questions and followed the best answers of the day like the sheep we still are?

• Like 1

Everything that is, is real.     Thoughts are real.  Cement blocks are real.  Feelings are real.  Everything that happens is real.  Every experience ..is real.  Dreams are real.   Concepts are real.   Onions are real.    Opinions are real.   Of course, I could be really wrong too. ;)

54 minutes ago, lightly said:

Everything that is, is real.     Thoughts are real.  Cement blocks are real.  Feelings are real.  Everything that happens is real.  Every experience ..is real.  Dreams are real.   Concepts are real.   Onions are real.    Opinions are real.   Of course, I could be really wrong too. ;)

Your wrongness could be real. :)

The thoughts are real.  Thoughts are things.  And the imagination is real.  We can create in our own heads elaborate movies playing for no one but us. 

Is God real.  Of course God is real.  Until you start to define what God is.  If God is an entity that exists only in our minds, then God is real.  But is God an actual Entity...living in every sense of the word...knowing, feeling, thinking, judging?  The imagination is real and God exists in our imagination.  When you cross the line from Imagination to Reality...not so much.

• Like 2

Hopefully just before I die the words “Game over “ don’t appear …:P