Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My son had his first show last night

preacherman76

31 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I felt like a teenager again last night, cheering on a live band. Couple years ago he decided to pull my old guitar out of the closet, and he worked really hard, completely on his own. So me and the wife decided it was worth getting him into the School Of Rock. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d0bdea305a48017b27fcc7481415df3.jpeg

So, what did he play?

• Like 3

Awesome!!    Congrats!!   :D   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations :tsu:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, joc said:

So, what did he play?

So the first song I don’t know who the band was, but it was a 90’s grunge song called pretend we’re dead.

second song was monkey wrench by the foo fighters 

Third was Zen by Bush

4th was Iris by goo goo dolls

5th was Cherub rock by smashing pumpkins. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And the kid was playing lead. It was a really cool experience. I was so proud of how well he did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Third was Zen by Bush

I don't think so!  

• Haha 1

I’ve sung that song now like 10,000 times so he could practice. Last night was probably the last time I’d ever be able to get excited hearing it again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

So the first song I don’t know who the band was, but it was a 90’s grunge song called pretend we’re dead.

L7

Your boy has good taste. 

• Like 2

Best Father's Day gift he could have gotten you!  Congratulations :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I felt like a teenager again last night, cheering on a live band. Couple years ago he decided to pull my old guitar out of the closet, and he worked really hard, completely on his own. So me and the wife decided it was worth getting him into the School Of Rock. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d0bdea305a48017b27fcc7481415df3.jpeg

:tu:

• Like 2

This is great stuff preacherman76.  Congratulations on having such a talented kid.  This is so much better than when I  misread the caption as "my son had his first shower last night", and I did a spit-take.

• Haha 4

On 6/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, preacherman76 said:

I’ve sung that song now like 10,000 times so he could practice. Last night was probably the last time I’d ever be able to get excited hearing it again. 

Everytime I find myself in disagreement with something or someone, I'm like:  I don't think so, no I don't think so!  I don't think so...  it's just like etched into my personality.

On 6/18/2023 at 4:52 PM, preacherman76 said:

Wow...what a great thing!  You rock man...so does your kid!

• Thanks 1

This is a bit of an aside, and feel free to disagree with me, but I’m not really a huge fan of the SG.  I mean, I know some guys just love them….Angus and others, but I have played the SG and not been a fan of it.  Still, that means nothing.  The boy is playing shows.  Win.  He may outgrow that SG one day and go with something else… I do like the Les Pauls and Strats, and the PRS guitars are class IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:10 AM, Guyver said:

This is a bit of an aside, and feel free to disagree with me, but I’m not really a huge fan of the SG.  I mean, I know some guys just love them….Angus and others, but I have played the SG and not been a fan of it.  Still, that means nothing.  The boy is playing shows.  Win.  He may outgrow that SG one day and go with something else… I do like the Les Pauls and Strats, and the PRS guitars are class IMO.

I e always been a Strat guy myself. So smooth. 

When he first started playing he had my telecast. He also bought a les Paul knock off. Then he found Marty Shorts on YouTube and had to have the SG. 9 years old and the kid is venomously asking for a 1200 dollar guitar. I’m like oh hell no. Then he turned 10 and his dedication only grew stronger. Then came 11 and he is actually playing in a band. All the while still begging for the SG. So few months back I walked in the door with it. 

15 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I e always been a Strat guy myself. So smooth. 

When he first started playing he had my telecast. He also bought a les Paul knock off. Then he found Marty Shorts on YouTube and had to have the SG. 9 years old and the kid is venomously asking for a 1200 dollar guitar. I’m like oh hell no. Then he turned 10 and his dedication only grew stronger. Then came 11 and he is actually playing in a band. All the while still begging for the SG. So few months back I walked in the door with it. 

I don't usually praise your posts lol but I've got to give it to you. You've done well. 

I bought my boy an SG a couple Christmases ago. He isn't in a band yet but he's getting pretty good. I've given him my loop machine and my 12 string as well.

Your lad is talented and driven. He might be young but that's what it takes. He's a rock star on his journey already. Very impressive. Congratulations. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I don't usually praise your posts lol but I've got to give it to you. You've done well. 

I bought my boy an SG a couple Christmases ago. He isn't in a band yet but he's getting pretty good. I've given him my loop machine and my 12 string as well.

Your lad is talented and driven. He might be young but that's what it takes. He's a rock star on his journey already. Very impressive. Congratulations. 

Thanks man. I appreciate you saying so. Yeah these kids have it so much easier than we did. Sure it takes the same amount of hard work and dedication, but if they want to learn a song, or scales, cords, whatever they just head to YouTube. 

I remember spending a year seeking out all kinds of guitarists to learn whatever I could. Driving all over the place for a quick lesson. 

These school of rock programs are popping up all over the world. And they will work with you where your boy is at skill wise. You should see if there is anything like it around you. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Thanks man. I appreciate you saying so. Yeah these kids have it so much easier than we did. Sure it takes the same amount of hard work and dedication, but if they want to learn a song, or scales, cords, whatever they just head to YouTube. 

I remember spending a year seeking out all kinds of guitarists to learn whatever I could. Driving all over the place for a quick lesson. 

These school of rock programs are popping up all over the world. And they will work with you where your boy is at skill wise. You should see if there is anything like it around you. 

Man I hear you. Sitting next to a tape deck rewinding it, picking put what scales are used, keys, and training your ear to tune by ear. Buying magazines and books to learn and practise scales. Learning who used what. A train line of effects pedals for basic effects. Wasn't it awesome though when you got over the wall. 

That's encouraging to hear arts being supported like that. Good old Jack Black really started something didn't he :)

My son is just past school now. He was always interested but finally took the plunge a few years ago. Now that he's a bit self confident I hope to do some community activities to get some live experience. Year before last our council chambers held an event and invited 500 local guitar players to play an ACDC song. It was really good and some local big name musos turned up for inspiration. 

LoL you ride you play, you're a good dad. If you lived down here we wouldn't give a crap about politics and I reckon you and I would actually get along like a house on fire. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Man I hear you. Sitting next to a tape deck rewinding it, picking put what scales are used, keys, and training your ear to tune by ear. Buying magazines and books to learn and practise scales. Learning who used what. A train line of effects pedals for basic effects. Wasn't it awesome though when you got over the wall. 

And to think a few short years later you can learn anything at the tips of your fingers. I think I still have a stack of scale and cord books somewhere. 

Oh man I’d get so excited once I had one down. I’d drive everyone crazy at home playing it over and over. Till I learned another. 

That's encouraging to hear arts being supported like that. Good old Jack Black really started something didn't he :)

It really is. I’m hoping it translates into good music going main stream again as these kids get older. It’s a very small %, but some of these kids are gonna make it. I encourage the hell out of my son, but I always slip in that he needs to have a back up plan. I knew musicians growing up that were outright amazing, but never had a chance. 

My son is just past school now. He was always interested but finally took the plunge a few years ago. Now that he's a bit self confident I hope to do some community activities to get some live experience. Year before last our council chambers held an event and invited 500 local guitar players to play an ACDC song. It was really good and some local big name musos turned up for inspiration. 

Ha that’s awesome. 

About a year ago my son would take his amp outside and play for the neighbors. So then I got the idea to take him to this little gazebo in town where bands sometimes play. Nirvana was his first love, so we went up there with the acoustic and I’d just sit there and sing while he jammed out. I thought for sure we’d get kicked out, but instead a couple local cops stood and watched. 

That’s when he started begging me to help him find a band. 

Maybe just bring him to a safe street corner and let him play. People love seeing a kid jam out. I almost put a hat on the ground, but thought that might be going to far for a small town  

LoL you ride you play, you're a good dad. If you lived down here we wouldn't give a crap about politics and I reckon you and I would actually get along like a house on fire. 

I have no doubt. :tu:

• Thanks 1

@preacherman76on a serious note:

do yaself a favour, or more like do him a favour:

encourage him to take up another profession without being too in his face about it...

What's the age old adage:

work hard at something & you'll achieve.

It works for most things but not the music business

class it as a very enjoyable hobby= just some advice

• Like 1