Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My son had his first show last night

preacherman76

On 7/1/2023 at 9:37 PM, Dejarma said:

work hard at something & you'll achieve.

Anyone can be successful in the music business.  Anyone can be successful at anything they want to do in life.  All one has to do to be successful in the music business is to never, ever quit.  Pursue that dream with vigor and never, ever give up on the dream.  Just as easy as fishin' you can be a musician...

Like Hank said,  If you're big star bound, let me tell you it's a long, hard ride!  

Edited by joc

20 hours ago, joc said:

Anyone can be successful in the music business.

joc me ol' mate, it really depends on how you define 'successful' with regards to music.

Earning tons of money/ living the rock star life? NA forget that! You've more chance of winning the lottery!

Earning a reasonable living at it? Yeah, difficult but achievable for some.

Or successful because you make yourself happy playing an instrument despite what level you're at?

What version of 'successful' are you referring to? ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

joc me ol' mate, it really depends on how you define 'successful' with regards to music.

Earning tons of money/ living the rock star life? NA forget that! You've more chance of winning the lottery!

Earning a reasonable living at it? Yeah, difficult but achievable for some.

Or successful because you make yourself happy playing an instrument despite what level you're at?

What version of 'successful' are you referring to? ;)

I was referring to the 'becoming an actual Rock Star.  I realized when I was 27 that wasn't what I wanted.  I wasn't really willing to sacrifice all for that dream...I wanted more out of life than bars and girls and broken down vans with all my instruments stolen.  But if you are willing to sacrifice all for that dream...you can be successful.  Most are just pursuing that dream without any real plan or destination in mind.  They chase the dream and that becomes their life style and .... for me personally...writing songs and recording them...that is success for me...

7 hours ago, joc said:

But if you are willing to sacrifice all for that dream...you can be successful. 

well no you can't, that's my point... if you decide to go for it/ dedicate yourself to becoming a rock star (or top of the game if you like) then you're wasting your life!

being very good at what you do is at the bottom of the list regarding success in the music business= contacts contacts contacts is the name of the game when it comes to your version of successful in this business, unfortunately

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

well no you can't, that's my point... if you decide to go for it/ dedicate yourself to becoming a rock star (or top of the game if you like) then you're wasting your life!

being very good at what you do is at the bottom of the list regarding success in the music business= contacts contacts contacts is the name of the game when it comes to your version of successful in this business, unfortunately

And you don't get those contacts, and you don't get your foot in any doors unless you are all in.  And if you are all in, without a plan for success...you are going to waste your life because 'overnight' success takes about 15 years.  Can't...the word can't...is the main reason most fail at anything, music business not withstanding. 

33 minutes ago, joc said:

And you don't get those contacts, and you don't get your foot in any doors unless you are all in.  And if you are all in, without a plan for success...you are going to waste your life because 'overnight' success takes about 15 years.  Can't...the word can't...is the main reason most fail at anything, music business not withstanding. 

what i've put forward in this thread isn't a claim or an opinion, i know it as fact... so i feel carrying on this discussion will be futile.. i'm going to leave it there. cheers :tu:

Edited by Dejarma

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what i've put forward in this thread isn't a claim or an opinion, i know it as fact... so i feel carrying on this discussion will be futile.. i'm going to leave it there. cheers :tu:

Hey, I'm actually agreeing with you.  It's easier to just play the lottery and win huge than tobecome the 'Rock Star' musicians dream of being.  The reason there are so few who make it is because the odds are so overwhelming most believe they can't do it.  Some just know what they are going to do and they will, by god, die trying.  And only a few of 'those people' actually make it.  And when they do, the money and fame aren't really worth the destruction of their personal lives.

It's virtually impossible for most to even get a real foot in the door.  So, with that said...I would never advance the idea of, Go for it, who knows you might make it.  I would also advance the idea of,  Seek a way to make money that doesn't lead to a destroyed life.

For me, I wanted a home, a family, a dog, a real career.  And I achieved that.  Rock Star?  I'd be an old burn out has never been  or dead!  

That's awesome!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, joc said:

Hey, I'm actually agreeing with you.  It's easier to just play the lottery and win huge than tobecome the 'Rock Star' musicians dream of being.  The reason there are so few who make it is because the odds are so overwhelming most believe they can't do it.  Some just know what they are going to do and they will, by god, die trying.  And only a few of 'those people' actually make it.  And when they do, the money and fame aren't really worth the destruction of their personal lives.

It's virtually impossible for most to even get a real foot in the door.  So, with that said...I would never advance the idea of, Go for it, who knows you might make it.  I would also advance the idea of,  Seek a way to make money that doesn't lead to a destroyed life.

For me, I wanted a home, a family, a dog, a real career.  And I achieved that.  Rock Star?  I'd be an old burn out has never been  or dead!  

This is another reason I love the school my son goes to. It’s almost like you get a little taste of what it’s like to make it. At least in the sense of being able to play live. 

Sure lots of people play live who are never gonna come close. But for a kid who still thinks playing in front of people is what it’s all about, it’s like they get to live part of that dream. 

• Thanks 1