Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are conspiracy theories really on the rise ?

UM-Bot

No. The internet has just given them an unfortunate voice.
  • Like 1

Part of it rests on the gullibility of my generation and our inability to understand the ramifications of the internet.

We grew up believing that people with titles like Dr. and Prof. came by them honestly and with the title came reputation worth protecting and recognition of a community of peers.  The community of experts and authorities in each field would help police the quack theories  and keep published claims open to verification.

With the internet, one can short circuit reputation,  recognition, and years of study simply by making a claim and posing it as reputable.

And we have done a terrible disservice to our children by sitting back, shaking our heads, and letting them believe research is no more than a google search.  Sorry about that.:cry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A decent article. It's conclusion is no, conspiracy theories are not on the rise. But people believe they are.

It's uses some examples of how you can get different results based on how you frame the question 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only cause of the Internet and the pandemic.

It rises and falls I think. Depends on who is power and what is happening in the world. We only had a handful in the late 80s and then it went up with Art Bell and Alex Jones, went off the chart with 911. They used to sort of dissipate but now they get entrenched and gain traction with foreign influence. 

• Like 1

It's no longer conspiracy if it's true. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawken said:

It's no longer conspiracy if it's true. 

Seriously Mojo? The most annoying compilation channel. Not exactly great source there, but uh..yeah.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

Seriously Mojo? The most annoying compilation channel. Not exactly great source there, but uh..yeah.  

Yeah, I know. If it doesn't fit your Narratives...disregard it.  True or Fiction is beside the point. :w00t:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hawken said:

Yeah, I know. If it doesn't fit your Narratives...disregard it.  True or Fiction is beside the point. :w00t:

My "narratives"? You are saying the crack research team at...wait ...Mojo? Are your go to source for confirming conspiracies? I'll stick with my guffaws of laughter I had to start with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Most conspiracy theories have their origins in the FSB as psy-ops against Western Democracies.

The internet has made them easier to find, but they've always been prevalent. I think people are just more comfortable being more outspoken about them now .. and it's easier for them to fall into an echo chamber online.

23 hours ago, Coyote Speaks said:

The internet has made them easier to find, but they've always been prevalent. I think people are just more comfortable being more outspoken about them now .. and it's easier for them to fall into an echo chamber online.

Since Covid had us locked down for most of 2020 and people had enough time on their hands, it really became a open door for them to spread on a greater scale.

• 6 months later...

They are unfortunately but the quality or lack thereof is derivative. Decades ago conspiracy theory was picturesque although obviously fraudulent. There are real conspiracies of course, usually pertaining to criminality but these are seldom addressed by conspiracy theorists.