Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orca rams into yacht off Shetland in first such incident in northern waters

Still Waters

A yacht in the North Sea off Shetland was repeatedly rammed by an orca on Monday, in a concerning development following previous interactions between the cetaceans and vessels in the strait of Gibraltar and Portugal.

Dr Wim Rutten, a 72-year-old retired Dutch physicist and experienced yachtsperson, was sailing solo from Lerwick to Bergen in Norway. He was fishing for mackerel, with a single line off the back of the boat, when the orca suddenly appeared in the clear water, and hit the stern of the seven-ton boat.

“I said: ‘****!’” Rutten, who said he had heard about the “Portuguese accidents”, told the Guardian. The whale hit again and again, creating “soft shocks” through the aluminium hull.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/21/orca-rams-yacht-off-shetland-first-such-incident-northern-waters

Related:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely terrifying...  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 4:00 PM, Still Waters said:

A yacht in the North Sea off Shetland was repeatedly rammed by an orca on Monday, in a concerning development following previous interactions between the cetaceans and vessels in the strait of Gibraltar and Portugal.

Dr Wim Rutten, a 72-year-old retired Dutch physicist and experienced yachtsperson, was sailing solo from Lerwick to Bergen in Norway. He was fishing for mackerel, with a single line off the back of the boat, when the orca suddenly appeared in the clear water, and hit the stern of the seven-ton boat.

“I said: ‘****!’” Rutten, who said he had heard about the “Portuguese accidents”, told the Guardian. The whale hit again and again, creating “soft shocks” through the aluminium hull.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/21/orca-rams-yacht-off-shetland-first-such-incident-northern-waters

Related:

I think it's great news, weird as it may sound.

That 5G is causing these animals to communicate more efficiently! Be prepared!

Nah yeah, humans interacting with nature sometimes has strange outcomes. Interesting to see.

• Like 1

Occam's razor:

1. They are just trying to get rid of parasites and need a rudder to scratch their backs on.. no?

2. So many of them are killed and wounded by ships that they collectively started to hate them and decided to take action. These are very intelligent creatures.

• Like 3

They make exploding harpoons for a reason, you know.

2 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

So many of them are killed and wounded by ships that they collectively started to hate them and decided to take action. These are very intelligent creatures.

That could be a valid reason but I believe there is more to this. I hope we can somehow understand the message they are trying to convey because I think it's as important to us as it is to them. Orca are intelligent creatures, a lot more than we are.

1 hour ago, Cho Jinn said:

Nice response you sad ----.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cho Jinn said:

Naw, all they need to do is drop some seal bombs, or loud bang fireworks into the water. I guarantee it would work, and teach the Orcas that boats are scary bad to approach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

Occam's razor:

1. They are just trying to get rid of parasites and need a rudder to scratch their backs on.. no?

2. So many of them are killed and wounded by ships that they collectively started to hate them and decided to take action. These are very intelligent creatures.

No, they're actively trying to ram, and bite the rudders off the sailboats.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Apparently it's kind of hard for people to think animals are able to consider revenge on us humans.

These animals have big brains, and are very intelligent.

But because they didn't invent things that would impress us, "Sons of God", many of us think they just act on instinct.

They don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe they declared war on us 18 months ago but nobody understood orca as humans are too egocentric to communicate with animals that aren't responding to english.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, Hankenhunter said:

If it start to be common, it will end with a lot of them getting wounded by propellers... people will just start engine to get out of there and it will be over.

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

If it start to be common, it will end with a lot of them getting wounded by propellers... people will just start engine to get out of there and it will be over.

Or it will get worse.

Scientists are getting more and more convinced these orcas are out on revenge:

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/07/12/revenge-of-the-killer-whales-experts-at-a-loss-over-why-orcas-are-ramming-into-fishing-boa

• Like 2

On 6/21/2023 at 4:05 PM, Commander CMG said:

Absolutely terrifying...  

I think thìs is:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I think thìs is:

I have seen this on documentaries, terrifying. 

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

I think thìs is:

Moron... it's like people going up close to grizzli bears or bisons to get mauled. If she would have died, it would just be good for Darwin award...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Moron... it's like people going up close to grizzli bears or bisons to get mauled. If she would have died, it would just be good for Darwin award...

Do you think this demonstrated contempt makes you appear intelligent?

2 hours ago, Cho Jinn said:

Do you think this demonstrated contempt makes you appear intelligent?

Does thìs remark make YOU appear intelligent?

Jon is right: people often think animals are creations by Walt Disney: you can cuddle them whenever you like.

• Like 1