Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How scammers use psychology to create some of the most convincing internet cons

Still Waters

Online fraud is today’s most common crime. Victims are often told they are foolish for falling for it, but fraudsters use psychological mechanisms to infiltrate the defences of their targets, regardless of how intelligent they are.

So it’s important to keep up with the latest scams and understand how they work.

Recently, consumer protection magazine Which? identified some of the most convincing scams of 2023. These scams all have one thing in common – they insidiously take advantage of people’s cognitive biases and psychological blind spots.

They included “pig butchering” a way of fattening up victims with affection, the missing person scam which involves posting fake content on social media pages, the traditional PayPal scam, and a new scam called the “fake app alert” in which malware is hidden on apps that look legitimate.

Continued:

https://theconversation.com/how-scammers-use-psychology-to-create-some-of-the-most-convincing-internet-cons-and-what-to-watch-out-for-207759

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Boy, do you see this a lot on Instagram.   Every guy I "talked" to on there wanted money.   I learned my lesson from a couple of them and don't friend anyone I don't know personally.  

• Like 5

I keep getting these phone calls from people claiming I called them. And I haven't used my landline in days. I wonder if that's some kind of scam.

• Like 2

I am often telling my (almost) 78 year old mother not to believe those, "Too Good to be True". things.....

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 11:27 PM, Hawken said:

I keep getting these phone calls from people claiming I called them. And I haven't used my landline in days. I wonder if that's some kind of scam.

It is.  There are computer programs used in scammer call centers that hide the actual phone number calling from (usually it is out of country) and they use a valid, working phone number with the same area code as yours.   I have been one of those, calling the number back to see what was going on.   But I don't any more.  

I get the stupid scammers who call with a asian (indian/pakistan or somewhere like that) accent and claim that they are calling from ... (pay pay, amazon, social security) fruad unit and someone has charged some large amount or if it is social security they claim you have to pay them money or you won't get your social security.   I got more of those social security calls before I started collecting it.   :)   I have had people call telling me in a threatening voice that they are some policeman from some city I have never been to and there is a warrant for my arrest.  Once I got one from some with a thick accent claiming to be from the IRS and they had a warrant for my arrest.  I laughed so hard he hung up.  

The best one was when my daughter and her co-workers all got calls on their work phones from Peter Parker about some money they owed, they all got that call and hung up but one guy talked to "Peter Parker" and asked if he could call back because he was in the middle of work.   He went to the conference room and put the call on speaker and everyone listened in while the guy asked Peter Parker all kinds of questions then insisted on talking to his boss, the same guy finally said ok, took a minute and came back on the line saying "This is Tony Stark, how may I help you?"   He hung up when he heard the roars of laughter from everyone in the room.

• Like 4

I've had a crazy amount of spam calls this year. Almost 2 per day. At this point I nearly have a phone book worth of blocked numbers.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've had a crazy amount of spam calls this year. Almost 2 per day. At this point I nearly have a phone book worth of blocked numbers.

Nowadays I usually get at least one call a week from some solar sales person.   The ones that start out with "the government has...." get yelled at.   

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 12:07 PM, Still Waters said:

Online fraud is today’s most common crime. Victims are often told they are foolish for falling for it, but fraudsters use psychological mechanisms to infiltrate the defences of their targets, regardless of how intelligent they are.

nope, if you fall for an internet scam then you're an idiot--no excuses, job done! :yes: IMO

I'll press *69 on my phone to find out the last number called. The area codes have been coming from all over.

Illinois, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Tennessee etc. :huh:

• Like 2

I love the calls.. I will string them along for a bit.. or I will speak very quietly so they have to raise their headset volume, so when they say they can hear me how I blast a airhorn into the phone :D 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

I love the calls.. I will string them along for a bit.. or I will speak very quietly so they have to raise their headset volume, so when they say they can hear me how I blast a airhorn into the phone :D 

My sister-in-law will mess with them also.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tcgram said:

My sister-in-law will mess with them also.  

My mother used to mess with them too.  It was the highlight of her day to get a call and keep them on the phone for 20 minutes.  Once when a creditor kept calling her to get ahold of my aunt she kept them on the line quite a while and they kept saying can you give her the message and finally she said, well you need to send me a payroll form and a W-2 with my wages, I won't work for you for free.   That one never called her again.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Unknown calls go straight to voice mail.  Why do people answer unknown calls if they are not a business?

Google unknown phone numbers.  Often you will find it is a scam so you can block the number.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, little_dreamer said:

Unknown calls go straight to voice mail.  Why do people answer unknown calls if they are not a business?

Google unknown phone numbers.  Often you will find it is a scam so you can block the number.

Sometimes the number showing up on the caller ID is not the real number being used.   I usually don't answer calls coming in with my area code that are not in my contact list as I live in a different state than the one I got my phone number from.   But, I have to answer unknown calls from the area code I live in because of the multiple agencies helping me with my aunt.    I do get a lot from scam calls from Florida, I don't answer those unless I am in a bad mood and feel the need to yell at someone.   I don't understand why people take those jobs.   Sometimes you can hear the noise of a call center in the back ground.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:58 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Sometimes the number showing up on the caller ID is not the real number being used.   I usually don't answer calls coming in with my area code that are not in my contact list as I live in a different state than the one I got my phone number from.   But, I have to answer unknown calls from the area code I live in because of the multiple agencies helping me with my aunt.    I do get a lot from scam calls from Florida, I don't answer those unless I am in a bad mood and feel the need to yell at someone.   I don't understand why people take those jobs.   Sometimes you can hear the noise of a call center in the back ground.

Probably because they needed a job...and were promised huge bonuses if they score with the scam...which was also probably a lie.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, little_dreamer said:

I started doing something as well...besides blocking numbers...I don't know if it helps.  I go through my email often...and anything anyone sent me that I didn't think I had asked for specifically goes straight to spam.  Suddenly...I have very few emails...and I have very few calls.  Never click on unsolicited emails.  You create meta data that says you clicked and verifies the email which then generates your name on a call list...just from clicking on an email.

Edited by joc

17 hours ago, joc said:

I started doing something as well...besides blocking numbers...I don't know if it helps.  I go through my email often...and anything anyone sent me that I didn't think I had asked for specifically goes straight to spam.  Suddenly...I have very few emails...and I have very few calls.  Never click on unsolicited emails.  You create meta data that says you clicked and verifies the email which then generates your name on a call list...just from clicking on an email.

I do the same as you in my email but I still get quite a bit.   Often the incoming address is changed by one character but I can still tell it is spam so I don't even open it.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:13 PM, joc said:

Probably because they needed a job...and were promised huge bonuses if they score with the scam...which was also probably a lie.

I usually point out to them that if they'd gotten a job with McDonalds or some such that they'd be making more money than they will ever make with the scam.

• Like 1