Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saw a being of light (angel/demon?) as a kid and witnessed part of an exorcism as a pre-adolescent.

Antivalue

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

It is actually thought, that is a hinderance, and is limiting, ones creativity.

Ones potentiality is unknown, that much is true, but, without thought, one simply feels their way in life, and therefore, lives life to the max, and affects life by their very being.

Hmmm, but you just said to Sherapy, "Secondly, without a plan or some kind, of guidance, (you call it CBT) is that not akin to being set adrift upon an ocean without a rudder, sails, compass etc, I mean, one may end-up where they wish to go, but the chances are remote, to say the least?".  I realize you stretch the definitions of some of the words you use sometimes, but I'm not aware of any way to come up with a 'plan' without thought.  I don't think that 'simply feeling your way through life' is wrong or a bad way to live some of the time, but it seems far more akin to being adrift than approaches that do involve thinking.  And it seems that living life to the max would involve indulging/experiencing everything it has to offer, so squashing thought seems very inhibitive and counter in that sense.  Sure thought can lead one astray and be unclear and in some cases hindering but so can 'simply feeling', I'd suggest even more dramatically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A universe without a purpose, point or meaning. So much so that a creature called humans seeks too impose its own desires onto it. 

The thing is, if one believed that the universe did have meaning, then humanity would have meaning, too.

Instead, we have the world that we have today.

Devoid of any actual wisdom, except here and there..:yes:

14 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

If that's your attitude, then that's your life, and that's your experience of this precious life.

The Good News is, that, according to some folk, life can change if one wants it enough..:yes:

Your life, your choice.

I love my life and wife and family. I like what I do.  But no higher being had anything to do with it. I did it myself.

• Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Hmmm, but you just said to Sherapy, "Secondly, without a plan or some kind, of guidance, (you call it CBT) is that not akin to being set adrift upon an ocean without a rudder, sails, compass etc, I mean, one may end-up where they wish to go, but the chances are remote, to say the least?".  I realize you stretch the definitions of some of the words you use sometimes, but I'm not aware of any way to come up with a 'plan' without thought.  I don't think that 'simply feeling your way through life' is wrong or a bad way to live some of the time, but it seems far more akin to being adrift than approaches that do involve thinking.  And it seems that living life to the max would involve indulging/experiencing everything it has to offer, so squashing thought seems very inhibitive and counter in that sense.  Sure thought can lead one astray and be unclear and in some cases hindering but so can 'simply feeling', I'd suggest even more dramatically.

That is actually a great question, and to be honest, I feel very happy that you took the time to understand what I was actually trying to say.

So, cheers, for that..:yes:

But here's the difference.

The plan, is the path that actually leads one to the point of not needing to think any more.

In other words, one cannot simply stop thinking from one moment to the next, but needs a step-by-step guide, to stop thinking, and start living..:tu:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I love my life and wife and family. I like what I do.  But no higher being had anything to do with it. I did it myself.

Well, its my wholehearted belief, that GOD helps those who help themselves.

I would be interested in hearing your pov..:yes:

17 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I'm not aware of any way to come up with a 'plan' without thought

The only thing I can think of is living on 'auto-pilot'. Might as well be a zombie. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Looks like the ignore function is fully operational.:tsu:

So long as you know what's going on..:tu:

Just now, XenoFish said:

The only thing I can think of is living on 'auto-pilot'. Might as well be a zombie. 

That's a bit harsh...:yes:

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well, its my wholehearted belief, that GOD helps those who help themselves.

I would be interested in hearing your pov..:yes:

When you help yourself no god is needed. That's just a saying to keep him in the picture.

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Piney said:

When you help yourself no god is needed. That's just a saying to keep him in the picture.

But do you actually see yourself, as essentially, GOD?

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Let me stop you there..:yes:

It is actually thought, that is a hinderance, and is limiting, ones creativity.

Ones potentiality is unknown, that much is true, but, without thought, one simply feels their way in life, and therefore, lives life to the max, and affects life by their very being.

CH, creativity is as a result of thought on many levels, to name one, thought allows us to engage our imagination by mentally simulating scenarios potentially lending to the creation of innovative solutions or artistic expressions. 

An add to: one cannot completely suppress all thoughts, or would seek to do this that is concerned with mental well being. What one does is redirect or manage their thoughts using techniques from various strategies, mindfulness, meditation, CBT and many others etc. etc. what this can accomplish is a reduction of the impact of the thoughts that arise.

Meditation/mindfulness is one approach a practice that involves observing thoughts without judgement or attachment allowing them to come and go without getting caught up in them this type of practice cultivates a greater sense of awareness by focusing one’s attention consciously to the present experience rather than being carried away by thoughts about it this eventually lends to being attuned to thought patterns, emotions, and bodily sensations that arise. One is cultivating detachment a neutrality not to be confused with suppression, or ignoring thoughts and emotions or claims of thoughtlessness. In this way, one accepts them rather than being overwhelmed or controlled by them. 

Detachment/neutral stance: is an ability to approach a situation by reducing the influence of ego driven thoughts and emotions. Detachment allows one to focus on having a neutrality and a willingness to learn and grow, this requires separating the feedback from personal identity and reframing it as an opportunity for growth as opposed to seeking self validation. Self validation shows up as one who is defending or correcting the feedback this typically stems from a desire to protect the ego or maintain a positive self image.

Personally, I think Jay is spot on with the feedback. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

to stop thinking, and start living.

These are not mutually exclusive for most people, by a long shot.  I think what you mean is 'don't let too much thinking get in the way of living', which is still a little flaky/hokey but I think works better. I can see in some ways and for some people how not thinking can lead to more peace, but I don't think being at peace is necessarily 'living life to the max', to me that phrase involves more risk. 

And thought is so integral to our experience and existence that again I don't see how we can say we're living to the max by ignoring it.  I live life more to the max now in many ways because of thought; you can enjoy the color and fragrance and beauty of a flower with no thought at all but there's so much more to enjoy and be fulfilled by if you also integrate thought-based perspectives like why it is that color and fragrance, how does it grow, symbiosis with insects/birds to reproduce, photosynthesis, etc.  That stuff may not hit the same spot as the simple aesthetics of the flower, but to many like myself it is utterly fascinating; maybe 'living' is not to the max, whatever you specifically mean by it, but I'd argue 'experiencing' that flower is greatly enhanced by this thought-based information and appreciation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's a bit harsh...:yes:

It’s not harsh at all being a zombie is living on autopilot with little to no self awareness. This could apply to anyone of us at one time or another just in the course of a day. :P

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

But do you actually see yourself, as essentially, GOD?

No, I see myself as having fought a uphill battle with grenades thrown in my path.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

These are not mutually exclusive for most people, by a long shot.  I think what you mean is 'don't let too much thinking get in the way of living', which is still a little flaky/hokey but I think works better. I can see in some ways and for some people how not thinking can lead to more peace, but I don't think being at peace is necessarily 'living life to the max', to me that phrase involves more risk. 

And thought is so integral to our experience and existence that again I don't see how we can say we're living to the max by ignoring it.  I live life more to the max now in many ways because of thought; you can enjoy the color and fragrance and beauty of a flower with no thought at all but there's so much more to enjoy and be fulfilled by if you also integrate thought-based perspectives like why it is that color and fragrance, how does it grow, symbiosis with insects/birds to reproduce, photosynthesis, etc.  That stuff may not hit the same spot as the simple aesthetics of the flower, but to many like myself it is utterly fascinating; maybe 'living' is not to the max, whatever you specifically mean by it, but I'd argue 'experiencing' that flower is greatly enhanced by this thought-based information and appreciation.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

But, without thought, one simply is, simply being, feeling, experiencing, living..

And a thought, just gets in the way with that feeling.

I guess it all depends on what one wants, from life!

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It’s not harsh at all being a zombie is living on autopilot with little to no self awareness. This could apply to anyone of us at one time or another just in the course of a day. :P

Really.

1 minute ago, Piney said:

No, I see myself as having fought a uphill battle with grenades thrown in my path.

And for what, ultimately speaking?

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

And for what, ultimately speaking?

A happy comfortable life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Comfort, and happiness, are all relative.

And yet without the deep, inner calm and peacefulness that comes with inward tide of love, even gold looses its lustre.

But, without thought, one simply is, simply being, feeling, experiencing, living..

....and drooling, crapping themselves...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

And you call dodging :no: a happy and comfortable life..

1 minute ago, Liquid Gardens said:

....and drooling, crapping themselves...

Why would you say that?

The less one thinks, the more fully one receives the Holy Spirit, (at least in my worldview)..

And life just keeps-on getting better, and better, and...

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

And a thought, just gets in the way with that feeling.

I guess it all depends on what one wants, from life!

Complete thoughtlessness is rare at best because the nature of the mind fluctuates. Really what you are saying is there is a tranquility or mental calmness from a mind that has settled meaning it becomes less agitated by thoughts not that there are no longer thoughts.  There is nothing magical about this it is achieved by deep belly breathing because this activates the bodies relaxation response or going for a run does the same thing because it releases endorphins neurotransmitters in the brain that contribute to feelings of well being one could call running a moving mediation quite frankly. 

• Like 5