Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet Thermonator, the world's first flamethrower-wielding robot dog

Still Waters

Robot dogs have been around for a while now, and in countries like China, they’re actually competing against actual pooches. But it turns out that these four-legged robots can be more than lifeless pets. For example, Throw Flame, a US-based company specializing in flamethrowers, recently showcased the world’s first flamethrower-equipped robot dog. Dubbed “Thermonator”, it comes with a high-performance flamethrower mounted on its back which allows it to shoot flames up to 9 meters in front of it. According to the Throw Flame website, the Thermonator allows users to remotely “shoot flames anywhere you want!”

https://www.odditycentral.com/technology/meet-thermonator-the-flamethrower-wielding-robot-dog.html

https://throwflame.com/products/thermonator-robodog/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• 9 months later...

Update:

The Ohio-based firm have announced the $9,420 bot is available for purchase by the general public and government agencies for the first time. 

The Thermonator can be remotely operated by wifi or bluetooth to fire jets of fire up to 30ft.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/23/us-news/company-unveils-robot-dog-thermonator-with-flamethrower-attached/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Having a few thousand of those things out in the general population with no oversight, it won't be long before folks will be looking back on the "good old days" when mass shootings were the worst terror they had to worry over.  

• Like 3

What could possibly go wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Saru said:

What could possibly go wrong.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, and-then said:

Having a few thousand of those things out in the general population with no oversight, it won't be long before folks will be looking back on the "good old days" when mass shootings were the worst terror they had to worry over.  

Well, maybe the solution is just more of them.  If everybody had one, think how that would cut down on robberies rapes and murders, as in these good old days..  How many school shooters would go up against a teacher with a flame thrower dog?   Me, I'm gonna wait for the lap dog sized one you can carry around in a baby carrier or handbag.  Or maybe squirrel sized ones that will fit in a concealed holster, run up an attacker's leg biting all the way then melt his face.  How sweet would that be?:devil:.

Who will regulate them, the NRA or the AKC?:devil:

Oh, but are you seriously concerned about this?  This is just the first step in the future technology of deadliness.  Where there is fear and need of protection or a will to kill other people, technology will accommodate. This is just a clumsy step, but I would think 2A people would be all in.

• Like 1

Flame throwers are legal in the U.S. and sometimes used to fight forest fires. They even have drones that can shoot gasoline or drop self-igniting balls. 

I can see the robot flame throwers useful in starting backfires and reduce exposure of firefighters to dangerous situations. 

• Like 2

0fb.jpg

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Flame throwers are legal in the U.S. and sometimes used to fight forest fires. They even have drones that can shoot gasoline or drop self-igniting balls. 

I can see the robot flame throwers useful in starting backfires and reduce exposure of firefighters to dangerous situations. 

Sure.  They sell them at gun shows, also.  The difference is that those things are simple devices that are made for clearing land or killing weeds.  The nonsense of the preposterous Left Coaster above, aside, this kind of device serves no other purpose to balance the danger it could be used to inflict.  I have no doubt though that the same watchdogs that strain at the leash to grab guns will quickly shut down this little business inspiration. 

8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Oh, but are you seriously concerned about this?

On my worst, most obsessive day, I don't worry about such things as much as you folks do about simple firearms in the hands of 99% of Americans.  

4 hours ago, and-then said:

Sure.  They sell them at gun shows, also.  The difference is that those things are simple devices that are made for clearing land or killing weeds.  The nonsense of the preposterous Left Coaster above, aside, this kind of device serves no other purpose to balance the danger it could be used to inflict.  I have no doubt though that the same watchdogs that strain at the leash to grab guns will quickly shut down this little business inspiration. 

On my worst, most obsessive day, I don't worry about such things as much as you folks do about simple firearms in the hands of 99% of Americans.  

Its just another concept as time marches on.   Somewhere up the road there will come  a system with biometric sensors to detect hostility in surrounding beings and sudden motions, a body mounted weapon platform that could aim, target, and fire upon command of the sensor array. Face it bud today's assault rifle is just about that far from a single shot muzzle loading smooth bore rifle.   The technology to kill will continue to advance as long as we perceive a need for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Add to basket
  • Like 1

Enjoy your robot caused house/forest fires. Generally heralded by that famous phrase, "hold my beer, and watch this".