Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Video of tourist carving name into Rome's Colosseum sparks outrage

Still Waters

A video has surfaced showing a tourist carving into a wall of the 2,000-year-old Colosseum in Rome. 

The footage shows a man wearing a light blue shirt using a set of keys to scratch into one of the landmark’s brick walls on Friday. He engraved the words “Ivan+Haley 23/6/23” while a woman wearing a white dress stood by and watched.

The unidentified man now faces a fine of up to $16,300 (€15,000) and up to five years in prison for the act, Elisabetta Povoledo reports for the New York Times.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/video-tourist-vandalism-colosseum-rome-180982449/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wish I was the Judge when this comes to court. He and his beloved would have to wait the full 5 years before they got together again. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

When I was there many years ago, I was shocked at how much carved grafitti I saw.  A lot of it was from the 30s, IIRC.  It wasn't just scratched with keys, either.  It looked like someone took a chisel to it.

• Sad 3

Man who 'carved girlfriend's name' into Rome's Colosseum is a British tourist

It has since been discovered that the tourist in question is a fitness instructor who lives in the UK, according to Italian police.

Italian officials are now trying to locate the pair who are believed to have left Italy but are still holidaying elsewhere in the continent.

"It is just the man who is accused of scratching his name into the Colosseum, she is not part of the investigation," a Carabinieri officer told The Telegraph.

"We will find them through the normal channels of international police cooperation and there will be a trial."

The man could face a fine of up to €15,000 (£12,850) and a prison sentence of up to five years if he is convicted for defacing the historical monument under Italian laws.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/rome-colosseum-tourist-carve-girlfriend-name-british-506614-20230630

• Like 1

16 hours ago, and-then said:

When I was there many years ago, I was shocked at how much carved grafitti I saw.  A lot of it was from the 30s, IIRC.  It wasn't just scratched with keys, either.  It looked like someone took a chisel to it.

Some graffiti goes back much further: The Graffiti at Pompeii - The Atlantic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Wish I was the Judge when this comes to court. He and his beloved would have to wait the full 5 years before they got together again. 

At least he wasn't videoing himself doing it, someone else was. I'm always surprised by the number of people who video themselves or their friends doing something illegal and then go on to post it on SM.

• Like 2

A man accused of carving his girlfriend's name into the Colosseum has begged for forgiveness.

Ivan Dimitrov had been on a trip to the Eternal City when he allegedly carved his and his girlfriend's names into the nearly 2,000 year old roman structure.

Carabinieri later tracked the pair down in Bulgaria and identified them, and once they had spoken to Dimitrov, said that he expressed 'sincere remorse' for his alleged actions.

Major Roberto Martina of the Carabinieri said: “He told us he was very upset by what he had done, and he kept apologising for it,” Mr Martina told Mail Online.

“I think he was worried about the consequences of any trial and we explained that he could be jailed for between two and five years and be fined up to 15,000 Euro.”

He added: “He had contacted us after we secured his mobile telephone from hotel records and left a message for him to call us. He was naturally worried about the legal implications, and these were all explained to him.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/ivan-dimitrov-colosseum-graffiti-jail-fine-860496-20230703

• Like 1

He did what he did and now he's worried about the consequences. The time to think is before you act.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tourist Claims Ignorance of Colosseum’s Historic Significance After Allegedly Defacing It

After being tracked down by the Italian police to England, Dimitrov penned an apology letter to Rome’s mayor, Roberto Gualtieri. In the letter, which was published in the Italian newspaper Il Messaggero, Dimitrov expressed his remorse and claimed ignorance regarding the age and historical significance of the Colosseum.

https://bnn.network/breaking-news/tourist-claims-ignorance-of-colosseums-historic-significance-after-allegedly-defacing-it/

An English tourist accused of defacing the Colosseum has said he was not aware of the age of the ancient monument.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/05/english-tourist-accused-of-carving-name-in-colosseum-says-he-did-not-realise-its-age

So.....  If you don't know anything about a building, you can carve your name on it.

:huh: