Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronomers discover elusive planet responsible for spiral arms around its star

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronomers discover elusive planet responsible for spiral arms around its star

Scientists have long thought that spiral arms in protoplanetary disks could be caused by nascent planets, yet none had been detected until now.

Depictions of the Milky Way show a coiling pattern of spiral "arms" filled with stars extending outward from the center. Similar patterns have been observed in the swirling clouds of gas and dust surrounding some young stars – planetary systems in the making. These so-called protoplanetary disks, which are the birthplaces of young planets, are of interest to scientists because they offer glimpses into what the solar system may have looked like in its infancy and into how planets may form in general. Scientists have long thought that spiral arms in these disks could be caused by nascent planets, yet none had been detected until now.  

In a paper published in Nature Astronomy, University of Arizona researchers report the discovery of a giant exoplanet, dubbed MWC 758c, that may be generating the spiral arms in its infant planetary system. The UArizona astronomers also propose possibilities as to why scientists have struggled to find this planet in the past, as well as how their methods may apply to detecting other concealed planets in similar circumstances.

Read More: University of Arizona

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lightyears.. ? *heh! *, I can't even wrap my head around that, what is that distance ? It seems unimaginable, not like it's 500 Million Kilometers; like what is even a tiny, very tiny 1 million light years if it only takes about 8 minutes for sun light to reach the earth?

--- Thanks for the post , Nosy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nosy.Matters said:

Lightyears.. ? *heh! *, I can't even wrap my head around that, what is that distance ? It seems unimaginable, not like it's 500 Million Kilometers; like what is even a tiny, very tiny 1 million light years if it only takes about 8 minutes for sun light to reach the earth?

--- Thanks for the post , Nosy

Hi Nosy. A light year is about 5.9 Trillion miles. Yup, it's a long ways out there :) And it looked pretty cool

• Thanks 1

Okay, sssshew about 6 Trillion MILES ! well that clears the mud a bit. OMG!!!! and that's only 1 Lightyear.

Okay, thanks for the clarity Earl.  Still seems an ungodly unimaginable long way out especially if we're talking the speed of light, but slow as in it would take A TRILLION OR BILLION YEARS whateeeeeeever! to get there and that makes it even sound even farther out there.

No reply necessary, as I NOW ! know --it's like an almost incalculable, unfathomable distance out to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nosy.Matters said:

No reply necessary, as I NOW ! know --it's like an almost incalculable, unfathomable distance out to it.

That's cool, Nosy, no problem. The answer is best left in scientific notation, but we can have both ways.

Ok, we have 500 Million light years, 500,000,000 LY's x 5.9 Trillion miles/LY =  500,000,000 x 5,900,000,000,000 miles  =  29,500,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles

or in scientific notation, 2.95 x 1022  miles, Now for a name: 29 Sextillion 500 Quintillion. 

And we're done  :)

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Thanks 1

JebediahJAHjeebuss!!!!/CRIPES!!!!!!!!! ---pure cake.

Concerning:  "      . .    29,500,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles

or in scientific notation, 2.95 x 1022  miles, Now for a name: 29 Sextillion 500 Quintillion.  "

Well ----at least we can see it, that's a plus. Thanks Cards guy,, Full Trump guy . . .brb, EARL of trumps.

--Nosy

• Like 1