Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Watch hunters capture the largest-ever Burmese python in Florida

Still Waters

A hunter has claimed the record of catching the longest-ever Burmese python in Florida, bagging a gigantic 5.79-meter (19.3-foot) snake. It takes the record from the previous snake caught in 2020, which was 5.7 meters (18.75 feet). 

Check out footage of them capturing it below.

https://www.iflscience.com/watch-hunters-capture-the-largest-ever-burmese-python-in-florida-69824

• Like 6

For a minute I thought the snake was going to put the squeeze on him. :blink:

• Like 1

Chop it up, and feed it to the gators, and other wildlife they're displacing.

6 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Chop it up, and feed it to the gators, and other wildlife they're displacing.

We humans do the same thing as the snake.

29 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

We humans do the same thing as the snake.

Yeah,  you're right. We are much, much worse than the snakes. At least they're trying to ameliorate a problem they created. Thanks for the perspective.

A thought. Will the super abundance of prey, combined with the favorable climate, create a super python, or will a balance be reached eventually?

Edited by Hankenhunter

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

A thought. Will the super abundance of prey, combined with the favorable climate, create a super python, or will a balance be reached eventually?

If they are going to do what I read somewhere long ago - reintroduce jaguars - things might go downhill for the pythons. Jaguars can kill large anacondas.

But I don't think jaguars will ever be reintroduced in Florida/Everglades.

• Like 1

You think that’s long?

I hope they had a hatchet to chop off its head.  

Somewhat related:

EVERGLADES, Fla. – A record-breaking 111 python eggs were removed from a nest in the sensitive Florida Everglades ecosystem.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said the clutch from the large invasive Burmese python was removed by Brandon Rahe.

"That number makes it the largest active nest ever found by a wild caught python," Rahe said in an Instagram post. "I’m lucky enough to have found 2 active nests so far, helping to remove future generations of monster snakes where they don’t belong."

Rahe said the snake is being released back into the wild as part of the telemetry program through the University of Florida and FWC to track movement patterns and mating habits.

"She’ll be picked back up in due time once her study time is over," he added.

A female Burmese python can lay 50 to 100 eggs at a time. The large reproductive capacity is one reason why the reptile has been so successful as an invasive species in the state. More than 16,000 Burmese pythons have been removed from Florida since 2000.

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/python-nest-111-eggs-florida-everglades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1