Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First contact with aliens could end badly if we don't learn from history

When you write about Capt. Cook, you are writing from the perspective of the alien explorer making contact.  Cook led the group in control of the situation.   What was the perspective of the Pacific Islanders, or Native Americans in the case of the Spanish explorers? If Cook had been welcomed as a deity or Cortez in the case of Mexico would the situation for the inhabitants been much better?

If we could put  ourselves in their position how would it feel?  

• Like 7

Stephen Hawking did express concern about sending probes into space announcing our presence.

Edited by Hawken
  • Like 4

"First contact with aliens could end badly if we don't learn from history"

The Vulcans are logical and peaceful species, I'm not worried.

• Haha 9

Humans, who are a long way from being able to make sporting trips to other star systems, dont rely on predation much. We farm our food, and soon we will manufacture it. Killing as the predators do, is no longer considered socially acceptable in most circles. Real predators (from space) who must be many hundreds of thousands of years ahead of us technologically, have presumably moved beyond this.

The fight for resources you might say... well, I cant think of anything here on Earth that is not found everywhere in the galaxy?

If they have the science to travel between the stars Im pretty sure they have found a way to manage without wood, grass or meat...?

54 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

Humans, who are a long way from being able to make sporting trips to other star systems, dont rely on predation much. We farm our food, and soon we will manufacture it. Killing as the predators do, is no longer considered socially acceptable in most circles. Real predators (from space) who must be many hundreds of thousands of years ahead of us technologically, have presumably moved beyond this.

The fight for resources you might say... well, I cant think of anything here on Earth that is not found everywhere in the galaxy?

Us? The abundant life? Fossil fuels? Gold? Who knows what they might want, maybe it's slaves. There's a whole lot of things here that may not be everywhere. Witnesses have stated before that they needed genetic material. Dna. Which explains the nature of a lot of abduction stories. Might not be rare to earth, but there doesn't seem to be many people on our neighboring planets.

54 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

If they have the science to travel between the stars Im pretty sure they have found a way to manage without wood, grass or meat...?

Who says they do? Did you consider that they may be transdimensional visitors? In which case wood grass and meat may have never been necessary to them in the first place. We shouldn't assume anything. Especially if you don't even know what they come here for.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nicolette said:

Us? The abundant life? Fossil fuels? Gold? Who knows what they might want, maybe it's slaves. There's a whole lot of things here that may not be everywhere. Witnesses have stated before that they needed genetic material. Dna. Which explains the nature of a lot of abduction stories. Might not be rare to earth, but there doesn't seem to be many people on our neighboring planets.

Who says they do? Did you consider that they may be transdimensional visitors? In which case wood grass and meat may have never been necessary to them in the first place. We shouldn't assume anything. Especially if you don't even know what they come here for.

Transdimensional?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hazzard said:

I think making the assumption that evolution involves what we think is evolved (like not needing to hunt for food, making our own or what ever you are thinking means we aren't predators) is a mistake, we have no idea how another species on another planet would evolve or why they would go to space or develop technology that would get them to planet earth from where ever.   

As for what the natives thought about the spaniards invading their lives, some of them were smart enough to see danger and when they got to New Mexico (wasn't called that then) the natives across the south had been sending messengers to tell them about the invaders.   Some that the spaniards thought were to stupid to learn spanish were used as slaves but at night (because most of the spaniards got drunk after dark) at least one native was sent to the next settlment to warn about the spaniards.   When they got to Acaoma the spaniards were so happy and impressed with the mesa, it is thousands of feet high with only one trail going up and down, no other access.  They made a plan to kill the pueblo people that lived there and take it as a fort for themselves.   The natives that they were using to guide them and carry stuff, tend to the horses, etc, heard and understood their plan and sent someone up on the mesa that night where a plan was made to over feed the spaniards and get them drunk drugging their wine so that they would not wake up.  Then two natives killed the two guards at the entrance and put their clothes on so that the spaniards wouldn't suspect anything.  The arrogance of the Spaniards made them stupid.   Two spaniards escaped by jumping off the cliff.  They had broken legs and crawled  to a trail that was used by the spaniards and eventually found.  

So, you know what they thought of the spaniards, but they were not as brutal as the spaniards who then sent warrior priest the next time the went near Acoma.   A whole different kind of invasion.   The pueblo is still there and populated and they practice a mixed kind of catholism that includes their original spiritual beliefs.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

What if we take an entirely different view of the Aliens vs. Us situation? What if this is not OUR planet, but either THEIR planet or some sort of 'free' zone where just about anybody can come if they have the transportation to get here...you know, sort of like a kind of Las Vegas in the Milky Way galaxy situation?

If you take the Ancient Aliens view then these Space Brothers are already here. The Russians seem to believe for some reason that they have been here long before Homo Sapiens was even a 'thing'. There have been thousands and thousands and thousands of stories over the course of human history that talk about human beings having communication with beings from somewhere other than here. If even one story or fable is accurate then I would guess that Scriptures of these various religions are not talking about angels in any religious sense but visitors from off planet stopping by Earth to go to the bathroom, pick up a six pack and get a sandwich. Why not? We do it. Why would not they do it? 

So...the ultimate question then is this: if there are off world visitors why don't they make themselves more visible to us and get heavily involved with us? Why? Because we really do not have anything to offer them that they want or need. We are a side issue here on this space outpost in one of the minor arms of the Milky Way Galaxy that really offers them very little than some temporary diversion from space travel and perhaps some minor scientific interest in the same way that a small group of Earth Scientist spend their lives studying chimpanzees. We are just not that interesting to a group that can travel through space, bend space time, live for hundreds of years and have a taste for mutilated cattle. Other than that, we are probably as interesting as watching paint dry to most of them.

My guess is that we are a whole lot more interested in them then they are interested in us. We are essentially apes that wear clothes, use utensils to eat and never seem to be happy with our mating choices. I just do not think we matter that much to them. We are just not that interesting from their point of view.

Evil conquering aliens are a reflection of our past selves (and present for that matter in some cases) and Hollywood selling movies . As Hazzard pointed out, if an alien civilization has managed to develop the technology to traverse the galaxy there is likely nothing they could not find on a countless other uninhabited planets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For sake of argument , if aliens truly did make contact on a global scale , would theories of religion and evolution instantly change ? Or would people start to incorporate the belief that Aliens were also created by God or even part of some evolutional creation ?

Basically, if contact was physically made and seen by all, The flat earth theorists are debunked instantly. Moreover, I could see a new trend of alien origins be tied in with religion or evolution by some …. For others, it possibly could be the end of certain beliefs .

I don’t spend much thought on the what ifs, but I can honestly say , it’s getting pretty interesting seeing this footage being released . I’d like to give it the benefit of the doubt .

Probably a distraction from the disfunction junction we have going on in the world but it’s still something that may happen.

P.S, first post I’ve made in a long time since I joined back In 2003.

Edited by LucidElement
  • Like 3

We'd be boned to put it bluntly. However, as others have stated, highly doubtful they would be after our resources when the asteroid belts would have everything, and more × a trillion than earth. None of that pesky gravity to worry about either.

So that leaves aliens wanting humans for nefarious purposes. Even more unlikely than the above because they would have advanced robotics to do the dirty work. 

• Like 1

If, again there's that big word in this context. If there were an extraterrestrials species that was able to crack the code and defy the laws of physics to travel the cosmos and safely mind you. It stands to reason they would have been able to address any other issues some other posters have stated as reasons for sneaking about here. I still think the ide of liens creeping around like teenagers not trying to get caught by their parents looking for resources, DNA or whatever is pretty funny.

BUT, there would need to be evidence of intelligent life existing and thus far we've detected nothin that indicate that. Maybe one day though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LucidElement said:

For sake of argument , if aliens truly did make contact on a global scale , would theories of religion and evolution instantly change ? Or would people start to incorporate the belief that Aliens were also created by God or even part of some evolutional creation ?

Religion would spin it as God created everything. Religion is great at 2 things, evolving to survive, and refuting ideas then accepting those ideas then changing the narrative to make it look like religion held that idea/belief first. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LucidElement said:

Probably a distraction from the disfunction junction we have going on in the world but it’s still something that may happen.

That's what I think and I agree if aliens from outer space landed and made themselves known everyone would be re-evaluating thier beliefs.   Maybe some did contact the pope and that is why he made his statement a few years ago about converting them.   :lol:

I know my sister has a lot of fear about the subject.  She told me "I just can't believe God would do that to us." when I asked her why she didn't want to talk about UFO's (I was not even talking about aliens from outer space, but that is what most people think about UFO's, that is the programming)

20 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I figure aliens would look at us the same way we do zoo animals.

Because zoo animals have nuclear weapons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, astrobeing said:

Because zoo animals have nuclear weapons.

That would be circus animals.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

We'd be boned to put it bluntly. However, as others have stated, highly doubtful they would be after our resources when the asteroid belts would have everything, and more × a trillion than earth. None of that pesky gravity to worry about either.

So that leaves aliens wanting humans for nefarious purposes. Even more unlikely than the above because they would have advanced robotics to do the dirty work. 

Could be very well the way you and Hazzard explain it. But this explanation/opinion is still based on our own earthly reflection and understandings.

Yes, they might not need food, workers, slaves, gold, minerals...all things that we humans need or long for. But we forget that we need now the sahara sand. Who ever really needed it in the past? Now it is a comodity. We usef to not need cerrain foods, now we do. We do not know what aliens are looking for, we can only speculate. What if they have a need for our blood? Stupid example, I know. But still.

As for them maybe not being a predator because they are highly advanced, we don't know what their classification is of a predator? Do they have feelings? If not then killing us or not will be the same for them.

Or how easily do they get triggered by someone elses actions? If the would arrive in peace and welcomed but one of us throws a stone are they going to single out that person or take it out on all of us?

If they are so advanced and travelled the Universe then they must had experience with other species. Depending on previous experiences that would likely determin their approach towards us.

Way to many questions, ifs and maybes. I would say we keep quiet and sit that one out.

By transdimensional i mean did you ever consider that some of these visitors are native? I mean consider that the narrow spectrum range that is visible to a human is not all that there is. But our range of perception is not all that might be inhabited. Consider that forms appearing in another spectrum, which doesnt interact with our matter except for the gravity, don't have to travel across space to appear to us if they have mastered travelling through what you could call different dimensions, or levels of reality based on the types of matter within that range close enough to each other to interact. Before anybody asks im not debating either you understand it, you don't or you stay willfully ignorant.

Edited by Nicolette
  • Like 1

I dont  think we are necessarily as interesting to them as people assume we would be, past studying. And hard to handle, like a wild animal that stresses and dies in captivity.

We are a panicky species. I literally fainted, only time in my life. After i got terrified the second time during thier demonstration i had to exit because it was deemed a danger to my health to keep panicking. Also we have a weird mechanism to blank out experiences that result in sensory overload. Most people probably forget or disbelieve what they saw. When i saw a strange type of saucer up close the people i was with brought it up later. I really wrote it out of my mind until someone mentioned it a few hours later and i remembered it coming up the river above us and then leaving the way it came and nothing in between. I can still see the details of the underside it had blue complex designs like a switchboard. Anyways years later i asked one of those people and they dont remember it. Memory is funny like that.

Edited by Nicolette
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

337371154_1255109088545902_3514146834866102814_n.jpg.83a5b2adf014e6baffc769f058d8f37a.jpg

First contact, with a race that is able to traverse the stars will end exactly as they wish it to.

• Like 1

How do we know they see us as people? We're a life form. What will we do if we find an unknown life form on another planet? Curiosity will take over. We'll observe, capture, examine and in the long run.....

• Like 3

In Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem trilogy, the universe is like a dark forest full of creatures terrified of being located by other species who despise other sentient species. They eliminate new space-faring species as potential threats. It explains the great silence of the Fermi Paradox. Species who know the score stay silent and keep their heads down, hoping to not be noticed. In the first book, Earth is noticed, manipulated by another species and eventually invaded.

The three-body problem by Liu, Cixin (9781784971571) | BrownsBfS

Edited by Hammerclaw