Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do astronomers think about Moon landing conspiracy theories ?

UM-Bot

My strategy: take a position that can't be readily falsifiable. Manufacture a threshold for truth of the matter, and then rely on others' pathological insecurity that prevents them from leaving me to my garden apartment, stupid devices. Watch the internet message board comment replies roll in, and go back to listening to Lawrence O'Donnell.

It astounds me the level of technology it was done with and how long it has taken people to organize to plan to do it again. Back then they were sure we would have it colonized by now and we are still planning another timid step. What gives?

• Like 1

Furthermore congress would have to look into a massive Moon landing fraud. Misappropriation of billions of Dollars. .... Also WHY fake the moon landing?
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicolette said:

It astounds me the level of technology it was done with and how long it has taken people to organize to plan to do it again. Back then they were sure we would have it colonized by now and we are still planning another timid step. What gives?

Money. And political commitment, because the money never comes first. We're seeing that with launch vehicles; now you can make a profit with this stuff and there is a long term business model.

One of two things will happen:

1. NASA will set up a colony and when there is money to be made, business will build the rest; or
  2. Eventually there will be an argument that there is money to be made in lunar investment, and somebody will start mining something and make a huge profit... eventually
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Roshman said:

Furthermore congress would have to look into a massive Moon landing fraud. Misappropriation of billions of Dollars. .... Also WHY fake the moon landing?

I reject the premise of your question; the lunar landings were real. Prove otherwise. Please remember there are numerous people who will attest to the design, having worked on, having launched the Apollo hardware, having walked on the Moon. If you are going to deny that, then extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PROVE it didn't happen (and please - no gish galloping; make your claim, be clear & concise)

• Like 2

Most people who subscribe to conspiracy theories don't even think of evidence like this. 

Occam's razor eludes them. 

I feel like they need to make up these things to dumb life down for themselves. 

Just because you cant fathom or understand how it happened, doesn't mean its fake. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mehdiocracy said:

Most people who subscribe to conspiracy theories don't even think of evidence like this. 

Occam's razor eludes them. 

I feel like they need to make up these things to dumb life down for themselves. 

Just because you cant fathom or understand how it happened, doesn't mean its fake. 

"I don't understand it, so it must be fake" is sadly very common. :( 

If you speak to really hardcore hoaxers about the moon landing, they usually have a response for all of these, sadly. I will cover them here.

Evidence: Lots of people watched it

Claim: The numbers were faked OR what they watched was just a film from a studio which was faked.

Evidence: Lots of people worked on the Apollo program

Claim: They worked on something but not the program. Or they were working on the program but were getting nowhere, so they faked the landing to 'get the win' over USSR

Evidence: Soviet Union congratulated USA and agreed they landed on the moon

Claim: USSR was struggling for food and in exchange for their silence/agreement on the matter they were given food donations by the USA as they believed a starving nation would end the USSR and the population wouldn't care about landing on the moon if they were hungry

Evidence: Physical remains

Claim: Drones, robots, landers, rovers all gathered that and sent it back to Earth or were meteorites or other things. They may not deny that human made stuff has gotten to the moon, but that humans have not specifically set foot on it.

Evidence: There are mirrors on the moon that you can see (and bounce lasers off if you've got one powerful enough)

Claim: Set down by landers/rovers/drones/robots, not set down by humans.

Then they'll bring up Van Allen Radiation Belts and how humans cannot pass through it without dying. They'll bring up the fact that USA had been humiliated up to this point by the USSR space program (which gained a lot of the 'worlds first') and had they lost the 'first man on the moon' achievement then the American population would be absolutely furious at all the money spent on something that they didn't even beat the Soviets over. The US government then would be angry that USSR had managed to achieve all the major firsts and therefore would 'promote the strength of Communism'.

So, sadly, this article needs to be a lot stronger to defeat these people. The issue with these kind of things is that pure contrarianism helps fuel it. You believe something the majority don't? Well you feel special. You know the TRUTH. You're not like those gullible sheep. Same with Flat Earth. Evidence doesn't matter. The logical absurdity to fake the moon landing and the fact that the USA couldn't even keep Clinton's affair in the Oval Office secret yet is able to keep the moon landing covered up doesn't follow.

Anyone remember the video where Buzz Aldrin punched one of those guys?

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 1