Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

OceanGate co-founder wants to build a floating colony on Venus

UM-Bot

40 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

As if visiting the Titanic wasn't risky enough, imagine living in a colony suspended in the clouds of another world.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/368913/oceangate-co-founder-wants-to-build-a-floating-colony-on-venus

In theory it's possible. In reality I would want technology that is a lot more reliable than we posses today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Am I the only one who remembers Biosphere 2? What is this supposed to mean: "Humanity could be on the verge of a big breakthrough and not take advantage of it because we, as a species, are gonna get shut down and pushed back into the status quo."? Who's gonna shut down our species? How? 

• Like 1

Not a great track record.

According to NASA, Venus has a very toxic atmosphere filled with carbon dioxide and it’s permanently “shrouded in thick, yellowish clouds of sulfuric acid that trap heat, causing a runaway greenhouse effect.” It is believed by experts that it would be nearly impossible for humans to live on Venus, per Space.com.

However, Mr Söhnlein has expressed that those hurdles can be overcome with innovation. 

Co-founder of company involved in Titanic sub disaster sets his sights on Venus | The Independent (archive.ph)

Edited by pellinore

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

According to NASA, Venus has a very toxic atmosphere filled with carbon dioxide and it’s permanently “shrouded in thick, yellowish clouds of sulfuric acid that trap heat, causing a runaway greenhouse effect.” It is believed by experts that it would be nearly impossible for humans to live on Venus, per Space.com.

[My emphasis.]

This is why living in a floating city in the clouds does make a bit of sense. At high altitiude the temperatures are far lower, the sulphuric acid clouds are bellow you and the atmospheric pressure is survivable. Of course any failure in the technology and the inhbitants of the floating city would very quickly perish.

• Like 2

What can go wrong ?

A base on Mars make way more sense...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

How do these people actually make money to survive on …..complete mystery to me….:td:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like him being labelled as the co-founder of ocean gate is a little unfair to be applying to the new venture if he hasnt been involved with them this decade.

Edited by Nicolette

• 10 months later...

This is in the news again.

The man who co-founded the company behind the Titan submersible disaster believes that he can “safely” send humans to Venus.

Guillermo Söhnlein, 58, made the revelation in a blog post in April where he argued that humanity can attempt to live and work on Venus, despite its inhospitable conditions because of its proximity to the Earth.

He believes that the challenges presented by Venus like carbon dioxide and clouds made of sulfuric acid “can be overcome with breathing apparatus and acid-resistant materials.”

The Argentinian-born OceanGate co-founder also believes that its inhospitable surface, which is around 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius), should not be an issue if humans simply build a home 50km in its air where conditions are reportedly similar to those on the Earth.

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/co-founder-company-behind-titan-085556187.html

https://www.geo.tv/latest/550455-oceangates-co-founder-failed-to-get-people-to-the-titanic-but-says-he-can-safely-put-humans-on-venus

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 11:25 AM, Portre said:

Am I the only one who remembers Biosphere 2? What is this supposed to mean: "Humanity could be on the verge of a big breakthrough and not take advantage of it because we, as a species, are gonna get shut down and pushed back into the status quo."? Who's gonna shut down our species? How? 

I'm a little behind but Frank Herbert was the only one that I know of who built a fully functional self maintaining ecosystem.

Restoring them is hard enough.

• Like 1