Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nurse Lucy Letby guilty of murdering seven babies

Waspie_Dwarf

Nurse Lucy Letby guilty of murdering seven babies

Summary

• Nurse Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering seven babies who were being looked after on a neo-natal ward
  • The murders happened at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016
  • Letby is the UK's most prolific killer of babies in modern times
  • She has also been found guilty of attempting to murder another six babies
  • The jury was undecided on the attempted murder of a further four babies
  • She was found not guilty of two counts of attempted murder
  • The 33-year-old, originally from Hereford, denied all 22 charges against her - blaming the deaths on hospital hygiene and staffing levels
  • Letby will be sentenced on Monday morning in Manchester

Read More: BBC News

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

It's beyond horrifying when someone entrusted to take care of the most defenseless among us is found guilty of something like this. My heart goes out to the families involved. I hope she gets the sentence she deserves.

• Like 6

The worst aspect is that the consultants on the ward flagged up their suspicions about Lucy a year or two before she was arrested. They were silenced by the trust's executives who tried to cover it all up. It will be interesting to see if they get their just desserts.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

My heart breaks for the families involved.   I hope that justice is served.  

• Like 6

Wow.  Just wow.

Prison is too good for that one.

• Like 2

Just to summarize... There will now be a 2 year inquiry costing millions of pounds, paid for by the already overburdened tax payer, at the end of which a report will be published stating that 'lessons have been learned' and no one will be jailed or held accountable.... because it's the NHS and public sector.... Innit. And all involved will keep their gold plated pensions.  Then a few years down the line.... Repeat. 

Apparently lessons weren't learnt after Shipman.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

It doesn't help the suffering of the families but over here, at least the administrators under these circumstances will usually have their careers badly damaged or even ended.  Ignoring such warnings is almost as criminal as what this evil person was doing.  It sounds like she might have been responsible for more than 7 deaths of the most innocent among us.  I think she should be used to study the mental illness she must have.  Perhaps some insight into the mind of one who can methodically kill babies one day while caring for them the rest of the time, could be made.  SMH...

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, and-then said:

It doesn't help the suffering of the families but over here, at least the administrators under these circumstances will usually have their careers badly damaged or even ended.  Ignoring such warnings is almost as criminal as what this evil person was doing.  It sounds like she might have been responsible for more than 7 deaths of the most innocent among us.  I think she should be used to study the mental illness she must have.  Perhaps some insight into the mind of one who can methodically kill babies one day while caring for them the rest of the time, could be made.  SMH...

Not here. Here, they just move on. Police, education, civil service, NHS, they're a protected species.

Let's all come back here in a year's time and see how many people that allowed this horror to happen are in prison, no need I can tell you now.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

Hospital bosses failed to investigate allegations against Lucy Letby and tried to silence doctors, the lead consultant at the neonatal unit where she worked has told the BBC.

The hospital also delayed calling the police despite months of warnings that the nurse may have been killing babies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Not here. Here, they just move on. Police, education, civil service, NHS, they're a protected species.

Let's all come back here in a year's time and see how many people that allowed this horror to happen are in prison, no need I can tell you now.

I can see you don't like public servants. Can you think of an alternative to them? You'd like private police, judges, medical staff, civil servants? Why? Would they be more efficient? Less biased? Cheaper?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, and-then said:

She'll be well-studied, I'm sure. She looks so sweet, it turns our perceptions of serial killers on it's head.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Just to summarize... There will now be a 2 year inquiry costing millions of pounds, paid for by the already overburdened tax payer, at the end of which a report will be published stating that 'lessons have been learned' and no one will be jailed or held accountable.... because it's the NHS and public sector.... Innit. And all involved will keep their gold plated pensions.  Then a few years down the line.... Repeat. 

Apparently lessons weren't learnt after Shipman.

They probably will keep their pensions, as being stupid is not the same as having deliberate willful intent. If we punished stupidity, all the politicians responsible for Brexit, for example, would be sacked and stripped of pensions and any other benefits. Farage would probably be jailed for treason if we followed common sense rather than the law- though looking at the pickle Trump is in, it may happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, pellinore said:

I can see you don't like public servants. Can you think of an alternative to them? You'd like private police, judges, medical staff, civil servants? Why? Would they be more efficient? Less biased? Cheaper?

'Like' doesn't come into it. We all know the kind of pencil pushers that facilitate this sort of outrage on a regular basis and we all know that nothing will be done to them. You could probably halve the number of 'managers' 'working' in the NHS all over the country and the only difference you would notice would be a reduced tax burden. (and fewer dead babies). 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Hospital bosses failed to investigate allegations against Lucy Letby and tried to silence doctors, the lead consultant at the neonatal unit where she worked has told the BBC.

The hospital also delayed calling the police despite months of warnings that the nurse may have been killing babies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934

So, will these people be identified and punished I wonder..... Nah.... It's the sacred NHS innit. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pellinore said:

They probably will keep their pensions, as being stupid is not the same as having deliberate willful intent. If we punished stupidity, all the politicians responsible for Brexit, for example, would be sacked and stripped of pensions and any other benefits. Farage would probably be jailed for treason if we followed common sense rather than the law- though looking at the pickle Trump is in, it may happen.

I swear we could be having a debate about pickled onions and you would crowbar Brexit into it.

TDS and BDS in one post, outstanding. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

'Like' doesn't come into it. We all know the kind of pencil pushers that facilitate this sort of outrage on a regular basis and we all know that nothing will be done to them. You could probably halve the number of 'managers' 'working' in the NHS all over the country and the only difference you would notice would be a reduced tax burden. (and fewer dead babies). 

I agree, there's thousands wasted on unnecessary posts. But you can say the same about private companies- do executives need to be paid 10x more than their workers? And if you look at water companies- senior staff getting million plus bonuses, and nothing invested in the provision of services. If they reluctantly agree they need to invest, the taxpayer pays though higher bills, not senior staff or shareholders- which is what they are proposing to deal with the sewage scandal. The inequality needs addressing in public and private sectors.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I swear we could be having a debate about pickled onions and you would crowbar Brexit into it.

TDS and BDS in one post, excellent. 

I hardly mention Brexit these days.

• Haha 3

Guess what...shock horror....lessons continue to be learned. :tsu:

"But what shall I tell them?"

"Oh, you know....'lessons will be learnt' .....that sort of thing"

"OK"

"Now go out there ....oh ...and look a bit sad.....and don't forget the bit about ....'our thoughts are with...yada yada.....you know the speil"

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 2:31 PM, and-then said:

One of the benefits of our litigious culture, everyone would be sued into oblivion.

20 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

So, will these people be identified and punished I wonder..... Nah.... It's the sacred NHS innit. 

The hospital bosses may be investigated for manslaughter:

Speaking to the Observer, Dr Dewi Evans, whose evidence was central to the case against Letby, said executives were “grossly negligent” for not acting on fears about the nurse as she murdered seven babies and attempted to kill another six.

The Observer can also reveal that managers blamed other NHS services for many of the unexplained deaths and declared in a two-page review in May 2016 that there was “no evidence whatsoever against [Letby] other than coincidence”.

Lucy Letby: Police urged to investigate hospital bosses for corporate manslaughter | Lucy Letby | The Guardian

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, pellinore said:

The hospital bosses may be investigated for manslaughter:

Speaking to the Observer, Dr Dewi Evans, whose evidence was central to the case against Letby, said executives were “grossly negligent” for not acting on fears about the nurse as she murdered seven babies and attempted to kill another six.

The Observer can also reveal that managers blamed other NHS services for many of the unexplained deaths and declared in a two-page review in May 2016 that there was “no evidence whatsoever against [Letby] other than coincidence”.

Lucy Letby: Police urged to investigate hospital bosses for corporate manslaughter | Lucy Letby | The Guardian

Good. Let's find out who the people are that covered for this woman are and send them to prison. It's the only way you will stop something like this happening again. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 4:31 AM, and-then said:

I think she should be used to study the mental illness she must have.

Yep, study her brain, outside of her head. She's too dangerous to exist.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And you thought Disney had produced the Anti-Snow White.  Too soon?

• Like 1

Lucy Letby sentenced to whole-life jail term for murdering seven babies

Former nurse will never be released from prison after becoming only third woman alive to be given such sentence in UK

Sentencing Letby, Mr Justice Goss said: “This was a cruel, calculated, and cynical campaign of child murder involving the smallest and most vulnerable of children, knowing that your actions were causing significant physical suffering and would cause untold mental suffering.

“There was a deep malevolence bordering on sadism in your actions.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/21/lucy-letby-sentence-whole-life-jail-term-for-murdering-seven-babies

• Like 4

• Thanks 1