Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Expelled for braiding it like Beckham

Althalus

LONDON (Reuters) - A schoolboy has been expelled for wearing his hair like football star David Beckham, the Times reports.

Style icon Beckham's new hairdo -- super-tight braided "cornrows" running down his skull -- has been a tabloid and television obsession since he unveiled it last week.

The Times said Savio Roman Catholic High School near Liverpool was not at all

amused to see a pupil imitating it, and banned him. The boy's father, Don Jamieson, told the paper he would fight the expulsion of his son.

"There are plenty of girls at the school who have braids, but the head teacher told me it was inappropriate for a white boy. That is ridiculous and I will not put up with it," he said.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Bizarro

• albaqwerty

• bigsteff

Top Posters In This Topic

"There are plenty of girls at the school who have braids, but the head teacher told me it was inappropriate for a white boy.

mad.gif

no I'm not....try

po.gifpo.gif

(daren't make any comment as I am SOOOOOO outraged. Too many points to consider for my feeble brain. )

Edited by Tommy

i'm more intrested as to why no one has done research on that alien he married.....i mean there was a discussion about greys/reptiles and other alien lifeforms....did anyone mention the giant stick insect aliens....normally found on earth trying to be singers,,,,posh spice,jarvis cocker...say no more laugh.gif

ive worn my hair in braids at many points throughout my life- not cornrow style but rather just braided. its ridiculous for someone to say 'white men' can't wear braids. Celts wore braids and wore their hair long. a lot of white men are descended from Celts, so therefore a lot of white men can wear braids.

ive also seen the reaction you get when you wear braided hair- a lot of nasty stares and comments(at least where i live). once, i wore my braided hair to work and got a mouthful from my supervisor. i find it ridiculous that people act as if women are entitled to wear hair one way and men cannot. the way i look at it is that my hair is genetically supposed to be worn long. i have nice locks that form natural twists that make me look good! when i cut my hair short its not straight, its a bunch of what we call cow-licks and trying to straighten it is impossible so i end up using gel to make it spikey. i gave that style up years ago and embraced my ancestry. now people stop me and tell me they love my hair. they ask me what i put in it to make it do that and i tell them its just genetic smile.gif

on the flip side, old people make rude comments about me being unkempt or needing a hair cut. some people are downright hostile to you if you are a male with long hair in locks! i get a lot of run around from people in authority(cops, bosses, etc.) but its worth it anyways.

if that was my child, you bet id fight that expulsion.

• 2 months later...

When my brother was 16 he had nearly shoulder length hair and I spent hours braiding it. As soon as he got to work the next day his supervisor told him he had to unbraid it. He was mad, I was mad. I just don't see the big deal. disgust.gif

if that was my child, you bet id fight that expulsion.

As would I.

• 3 months later...

During my senior year of HS I braided my hair, it was not the first time I had done so, but it was the first time I had my hair like that here in the U.S. (If my hair is long enough when I'm there I have my hair braided in Mexico)...the assistant principal already wanted desperatly to bust me for something...but had nothing on me...he tried to get me for the braids....but there was nothing in the student hand book's code of conduct that was against it. Beside that most of the male black students had their hair either braided or in cornrows...they and several members of the factulty supported me and my braids...sadly I think the book was re-written to keep future students from having braided hair...and nail polish (another thing he couldn't get me for due to the book's being unclear)